Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We own a 2019 NuCamp Tab 400 camper, has anyone pulled this with a Subaru Ascent (with the 5,000 towing capacity.) My concern is the tongue weight of the Tab which is over 350 depending on what you read. We have a Weigh Safe tongue scale which has read 375 but I have read that they can be off by as much as 50 lbs. I haven't been to a CAT scale yet. The Ascent has a maximum tongue weight of 500 lbs. The trailer weight is not an issue. We have owned 3 Subarus and have driven the Ascent and really liked it. We also have and will keep a Ram 2500 which pulls the Tab with ease, but we also occasionally need to pull a horse trailer along with the camper and would like to use the Ascent to pull our camper. We would be trading in our 2015 Outback for the Ascent and do not want another truck or truck like vehicle. Any thoughts appreciated, especially anyone who has towed a Tab 400 with an Ascent.

·
Registered
108 Posts
You'd be absolutely fine. That camper is well below the limits for both tongue and towing capacity, so you've already answered your own question. ;)

I saw one of those at a teardrop camper gathering two weeks ago - those are nice little campers.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Yes, we've pulled our TAB400 up and down the coast range mountains of Oregon with our Ascent Premium. Absolutely no problems. I was also a little concerned about the tongue weight when loaded, but it wasn't hard to keep it well under the 500 lb. limit.

I would recommend getting a set of towing mirrors as the stock mirrors don't give much of a view of what's behind the trailer. I got a pair of the Fit System 3891 mirrors and they work very well.

I installed a Curt Spectrum (51170) brake controller. The control head exactly fits the space on the steering column where the ignition key would go (if you didn't have the push-button start option), and the electronic box fits nicely behind the glove box. (I had post with more pictures about the Curt install, but the pics got lost in the forum upgrade a few months ago. I'll repost them if there's interest.)

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
Yes, we've pulled our TAB400 up and down the coast range mountains of Oregon with our Ascent Premium. Absolutely no problems. I was also a little concerned about the tongue weight when loaded, but it wasn't hard to keep it well under the 500 lb. limit.

I would recommend getting a set of towing mirrors as the stock mirrors don't give much of a view of what's behind the trailer. I got a pair of the Fit System 3891 mirrors and they work very well.

I installed a Curt Spectrum (51170) brake controller. The control head exactly fits the space on the steering column where the ignition key would go (if you didn't have the push-button start option), and the electronic box fits nicely behind the glove box. (I had post with more pictures about the Curt install, but the pics got lost in the forum upgrade a few months ago. I'll repost them if there's interest.)

View attachment 1787
View attachment 1788
Wow. that's brilliant!!!

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,904 Posts
I remember that controller install from the original thread. How has it been given the difficulty in seeing the setting dialed in in the regular driver position?

·
Registered
28 Posts
I remember that controller install from the original thread. How has it been given the difficulty in seeing the setting dialed in in the regular driver position?
Ehhh ... about like you would expect. ;) You do have to be able to see what color the lights are to know what setting you're adjusting, so I either have to come to a complete stop (as Curt recommends) so I can turn the wheel to see the knob, or have a helper in the passenger seat tell me what color they are. That said, there are only 2 settings, so I think with a little practice I could make adjustments without looking. Once it's set, though, there's not much need to see it.

If I were hauling the trailer often, or lots of different trailers or loads it would probably be a pain, but for my use, it's working OK.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You'd be absolutely fine. That camper is well below the limits for both tongue and towing capacity, so you've already answered your own question. ;)

I saw one of those at a teardrop camper gathering two weeks ago - those are nice little campers.

View attachment 1787
View attachment 1788

·
Registered
542 Posts

View attachment 1787
View attachment 1788
Been looking at these TAB400s. What kind of highway MPG are you getting?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Been looking at these TAB400s. What kind of highway MPG are you getting?
We got about 13.5 MPG overall on the last trip. A bit worse up and down the mountains of western Oregon, and a bit better on the flatter roads along the Umpqua River.

·
Registered
542 Posts
We got about 13.5 MPG overall on the last trip. A bit worse up and down the mountains of western Oregon, and a bit better on the flatter roads along the Umpqua River.
That’s not bad at all ?? How do you like it so far? Less bugs than a regular low end RV I hope

·
Registered
5 Posts
We own a 2019 NuCamp Tab 400 camper, has anyone pulled this with a Subaru Ascent (with the 5,000 towing capacity.) My concern is the tongue weight of the Tab which is over 350 depending on what you read. We have a Weigh Safe tongue scale which has read 375 but I have read that they can be off by as much as 50 lbs. I haven't been to a CAT scale yet. The Ascent has a maximum tongue weight of 500 lbs. The trailer weight is not an issue. We have owned 3 Subarus and have driven the Ascent and really liked it. We also have and will keep a Ram 2500 which pulls the Tab with ease, but we also occasionally need to pull a horse trailer along with the camper and would like to use the Ascent to pull our camper. We would be trading in our 2015 Outback for the Ascent and do not want another truck or truck like vehicle. Any thoughts appreciated, especially anyone who has towed a Tab 400 with an Ascent.
We
we have tab 400 solar and boondock package pull with are lifted 2019 ascent limited. The back up mirror on trailer is great. Not so much for backing but hoing down hey. Our place in New Mexico is in monzano mt. 20 miles from nearest road of any sort and straight up hill have never had a problem

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.