Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I towed the Mustang to Arizona Motorsports Park again for my first race session in almost a year.

What do you do when your hydraulic clutch on your Mustang goes out in the 1st race session yet again?
  • Try and fix it for 2 hours, no luck
  • Order a cable clutch
  • Drive your Tesla instead!
That hydraulic clutch has never been right from the beginning. It felt good when it worked, but the master cylinder leaked. Then once I got that rebuilt, it worked great again, until midway through the first session, then just started going out. I'm guessing a bit of the seal from the original master cylinder problem worked its way down the hose and clogged the slave cylinder.

So after my wife arrived she said, "Why don't you just drive the Tesla?" So I asked at registration and they were fine with it, so I went over to Tech. They said, "We have nothing to check! You're good" and gave me a sticker. Oh, then he said to remove the floor mats if I have them.

So I taped on a number 7 and went out for the 3rd session.

The short range Telsa has "eco-tires" on it, so they are not the grippiest things. And it is heavier than the Mustang by 1500lbs and has less power. But man it was fun to drive. It was totally bizarre doing 105 on the straight with no roaring V8, but just a bit of wind noise!

Holy moly, it takes a lot of battery power. I started on that 3rd session with 109 miles of range. I had just 14 miles left when I got off track. Just enough to drive to the supercharger. So I had to drive to the supercharger between every session!

On Sunday I was getting used to the car more and was picking up the pace. I was still being "careful" since it's my wife's car and not pushing too hard, but in the 3rd session got down to a 2:01.228. In the Mustang last time I ran a 1:56.293, so 5 secs per lap faster. I imagine with sporty tires I'd take another 2 secs per lap off the Tesla time. I was passing more people that 3rd session too..... many I shouldn't have been able to pass like the Porche Cayman and the Camaro SS.

Also in the 3rd session it popped up on the screen that my brake temp was high, so I backed off on late braking a bit.
People took a lot of videos as they thought it was pretty awesome having a Tesla run. One guy asked for a ride along so he rode with me on the 3rd session. And another guy's wife rode with me in the 4th session, since he was taking an instructor along. Both loved it... it's unique. The instant torque of the electric motor really launches you from the corners.

I'm gonna have to try a session or two when my M3 Performance comes in!

Video of the Tesla

Video of the Mustang at the same track for comparison

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Driving the Tesla around the track must feel like playing a racing video game on mute! Were you able to get enough charge between sessions or did you just run once each day?
Yeah, the lack of noise was actually spooky!

Since it was the short range and I burned up 100 miles of charge during a track session I had to drive 15 miles to a supercharger and charge for 30 mins between sessions. With some sessions just 1 hr apart I basically drove back into the track, put on my helmet and went out again.

So I ran the last 2 sessions on Saturday and then ran all 4 sessions on Sunday. My wife actually drove out to charge between Session 3 and Session 4 so I could load the Mustang on the trailer while she was gone.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
"The instant torque of the electric motor really launches you from the corners" - thats what we need, like mild hybrid, on Ascent to smooth out the lower rpm range (idle to 3000rpm).

·
Registered
236 Posts
Yeah, the lack of noise was actually spooky!

Since it was the short range and I burned up 100 miles of charge during a track session I had to drive 15 miles to a supercharger and charge for 30 mins between sessions. With some sessions just 1 hr apart I basically drove back into the track, put on my helmet and went out again.

So I ran the last 2 sessions on Saturday and then ran all 4 sessions on Sunday. My wife actually drove out to charge between Session 3 and Session 4 so I could load the Mustang on the trailer while she was gone.
Nice - good thing there was a supercharging station nearby! Going from your Fox body to the Tesla in the same track day must be a bit of a night/day experience.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So I towed the Mustang to Arizona Motorsports Park again for my first race session in almost a year.

What do you do when your hydraulic clutch on your Mustang goes out in the 1st race session yet again?
  • Try and fix it for 2 hours, no luck
  • Order a cable clutch
  • Drive your Tesla instead!
That hydraulic clutch has never been right from the beginning. It felt good when it worked, but the master cylinder leaked. Then once I got that rebuilt, it worked great again, until midway through the first session, then just started going out. I'm guessing a bit of the seal from the original master cylinder problem worked its way down the hose and clogged the slave cylinder.

So after my wife arrived she said, "Why don't you just drive the Tesla?" So I asked at registration and they were fine with it, so I went over to Tech. They said, "We have nothing to check! You're good" and gave me a sticker. Oh, then he said to remove the floor mats if I have them.

So I taped on a number 7 and went out for the 3rd session.

The short range Telsa has "eco-tires" on it, so they are not the grippiest things. And it is heavier than the Mustang by 1500lbs and has less power. But man it was fun to drive. It was totally bizarre doing 105 on the straight with no roaring V8, but just a bit of wind noise!

Holy moly, it takes a lot of battery power. I started on that 3rd session with 109 miles of range. I had just 14 miles left when I got off track. Just enough to drive to the supercharger. So I had to drive to the supercharger between every session!

On Sunday I was getting used to the car more and was picking up the pace. I was still being "careful" since it's my wife's car and not pushing too hard, but in the 3rd session got down to a 2:01.228. In the Mustang last time I ran a 1:56.293, so 5 secs per lap faster. I imagine with sporty tires I'd take another 2 secs per lap off the Tesla time. I was passing more people that 3rd session too..... many I shouldn't have been able to pass like the Porche Cayman and the Camaro SS.

Also in the 3rd session it popped up on the screen that my brake temp was high, so I backed off on late braking a bit.
People took a lot of videos as they thought it was pretty awesome having a Tesla run. One guy asked for a ride along so he rode with me on the 3rd session. And another guy's wife rode with me in the 4th session, since he was taking an instructor along. Both loved it... it's unique. The instant torque of the electric motor really launches you from the corners.

I'm gonna have to try a session or two when my M3 Performance comes in!

Video of the Tesla

Video of the Mustang at the same track for comparison
I want to tow my BRZ behind my 2019 Outback from Florida to Vermont. Does anyone have any suggestions?

·
Registered
233 Posts
I want to tow my BRZ behind my 2019 Outback from Florida to Vermont. Does anyone have any suggestions?
2019 Outback Towing Capacity: 2,700 lbs. with 200-lb. trailer tongue weight
2013 BRZ Curb Weight: Premium 6 speed Manual Transmission (lightest configuration) - 2,762 lbs.

You can't legally / shouldn't tow a BRZ with a 2019 Outback. Even not considering a trailer (which would add additional weight), a BRZ weighs more than the Outback towing capacity. Tongue weight when loaded properly would also likely exceed the maximum allowed by the Outback.

If you had a 2020+ Outback with the 2.4L turbo engine, the towing capacity increased to 3,500 lbs. with a 350lb tongue weight. Even with that combination, you would be right at or over maximum capacity when considering a (lightweight) trailer.

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Administrator
11,126 Posts
You could theoretically empty the fluids and flat tow it. Some Subaru dealerships claim the manual transmission Subies can be flat towed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
2019 Outback Towing Capacity: 2,700 lbs. with 200-lb. trailer tongue weight
2013 BRZ Curb Weight: Premium 6 speed Manual Transmission (lightest configuration) - 2,762 lbs.

You can't legally / shouldn't tow a BRZ with a 2019 Outback. Even not considering a trailer (which would add additional weight), a BRZ weighs more than the Outback towing capacity. Tongue weight when loaded properly would also likely exceed the maximum allowed by the Outback.

If you had a 2020+ Outback with the 2.4L turbo engine, the towing capacity increased to 3,500 lbs. with a 350lb tongue weight. Even with that combination, you would be right at or over maximum capacity when considering a (lightweight) trailer.
Thanks, I appreciate the advise.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts