Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Borrowed a friends trailer and loaded my 1988 Race-Prepped Mustang for a weekend at the Arizona Motorsports Park track. It was about a 50 mile trip. The Ascent towed it with ease. Getting up to highway speeds was no problem and the load was always stable. I like to keep my towing speeds at 60mph or under, but it was riding so smooth that a couple times I caught myself up to 70.

MPG dropped to 15-16 while towing that much weight which isn't bad at all. I did get 15mpg while towing my 3,500lb pop-up camper, but that was in the mountains.

I get to borrow the trailer again in Feb, when I'll go to Chuckwalla Raceway in SE California. That'll be about a 5 hr trip towing the car there.

The 88 Mustang is a beast and has been totally rebuilt recently. 350hp Ford Racing motor, complete Maximum Motorsports suspension upgrades, full roll cage and door bars, very large brakes and 275/45/17 Nitto NT01 tires. The fiberglass fender flares barely contain those large tires!

I had a great weekend and got moved up to HPDE3 (the 2nd highest/fastest group). This is my 3rd weekend since getting the car. Had a late model vette behind me and I thought for sure I was going to have to let him past, but once we hit the twisties he was gone!

Now just gotta get new tires before Feb and replace rotors (cracked one this weekend) and other maintenance. But the fun was worth it!

Attachments

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Awesome! So, my 600lbs F-Modified autocross car won't be a problem then. :)

BTW, nice car! (both of them)
Okay... need a picture of that! :D

Yeah, I love em both!

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice! Didn't even squat that much!
No, the suspension handled it well and the car felt great while towing. I was pleasantly surprised just how well it took all the extra weight. Tracked well, no wiggles (though I did turn Lane Assist off as the nudges are very annoying when towing). And no problem with power off the line or braking. Tekonsha P3 brake controller handles it all great and was quick to install.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Videos of driving the Mustang. We ran clockwise on Saturday (first video) and counter-clockwise on Sunday (second video).

Had a great time. Probably need to buy a trailer of my own soon.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Nice! Love the mustang.

It's been a long time since I drove them, but track days/HPDEs were fun. My WRX was fun on track, but at Texas World Speedway (RIP), all the cars I could catch and pass in the twisties would blow past me on the main banked straight. I only had a rear sway bar, and SS brake lines on the WRX - IMO the wagon wasn't worth prepping too much with all the extra steel and glass high up in back.

Off to watch the rest of the videos..

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
https://youtu.be/20JJNqryQG8
https://youtu.be/bvzyLQ9tnPg

Videos of driving the Mustang. We ran clockwise on Saturday (first video) and counter-clockwise on Sunday (second video).

Had a great time. Probably need to buy a trailer of my own soon.
Thank you for sharing the video - I see why so many people have the "need for speed." What make/model was the car that passed you and was in your way during the latter part of video #1?

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you for sharing the video - I see why so many people have the "need for speed." What make/model was the car that passed you and was in your way during the latter part of video #1?
The black one you mean? That was a modified 3 series BMW. Very few of the cars in my HPDE3 group are stock now!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts