Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When you get a high 60’s temp day at the end of October in the Midwest you hook up the boat! ?

My Bass Cat Phelix and trailer probably weighs 1500-1800 pounds so my Ascent Touring towed it extremely well and never seemed strained.

Initially the hitch was rattling but then it stopped and was pretty quiet through the tow. I think the tongue weight must be about perfect for the setup.

My only concern is that I found out the hard way that when my boat is on the trailer and attaches to the Ascent, I cannot open the tailgate as the trolling motor hits the tailgate. This was not an issue on my Grand Cherokee and I believe it’s due to the highly integrated trailer hitch depth. No biggie and it’s just barely hitting. I will find a work around.

Overall I’m very impressed with the Ascent’s 4 cylinder towing. It goes as well as my 3.6 V6 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk did and even feels like it has more torque than the Jeep.

Safe travels everyone.

Attachments

·
Registered
561 Posts
I'm impressed with that Bass Cat!!! Is that fiberglass???
Looks like a fun fishing rig. What lake is that?...looks familiar.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Hey Magnumb
Has anyone tested to see where / when Subaru cuts power on cvt load? I’ve run into this a few times in my OB Backing up steep inclines. I’ve managed to workaround it but the heavier Ascent would pose an issue if it had similar stall limitations placed on its torque converter?

The OB its not a big deal but the Ascent with higher tow ratings etc this could be a really big issue for some buyers.

I’ve been working on a Neihbors house he has a very steep driveway as in my Sequoia in 2wd will spin tires unless carrying momentum or placed in 4x4 mode. I had to back my 4x6 trailer up to a flat spot to haul construction debri away. My OB will back up the driveway when empty but will stall / stop halfway if I have 100lbs of tools in it or take a run and carry momentum.

His 2016 Highlander will back up the driveway even stop midway and then continue without a torque converter stall or wheel spin.

I don’t think the cvt would be my reason not to buy but I do think there is a disadvantage to the cvt if Subaru has the system stall where standard ATs will operate normally.

I haven’t seen any discussion on this yet

·
Administrator
10,986 Posts
Hey Magnumb
Has anyone tested to see where / when Subaru cuts power on cvt load? I’ve run into this a few times in my OB Backing up steep inclines. I’ve managed to workaround it but the heavier Ascent would pose an issue if it had similar stall limitations placed on its torque converter?
Not that I noticed, even with just shy of 4400 pounds.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm impressed with that Bass Cat!!! Is that fiberglass???
Looks like a fun fishing rig. What lake is that?...looks familiar.
Thanks, it’s a great boat and all fiberglass construction. Bass Cat makes tournament bass fishing boats and I use to own one and bight this 17 footer when we put a pool in.

They are a small family owned boat company and are amazing. Lifetime warranty on hull transferable etc. people use these down in Florida on the flats and add towers etc they are that stable. The Honda 25HP four stroke is also super quiet and reliable. I’m really happy with it. The trolling motor on the front is operated by a remote control so when I take my son out, he can sit up front and cast while I’m in the back controlling everything. It also uses gps for spotlock, which holds you in a spot like an anchor. Pretty neat.

·
Registered
62 Posts
When you get a high 60’s temp day at the end of October in the Midwest you hook up the boat! ?

My Bass Cat Phelix and trailer probably weighs 1500-1800 pounds so my Ascent Touring towed it extremely well and never seemed strained.

Initially the hitch was rattling but then it stopped and was pretty quiet through the tow. I think the tongue weight must be about perfect for the setup.

My only concern is that I found out the hard way that when my boat is on the trailer and attaches to the Ascent, I cannot open the tailgate as the trolling motor hits the tailgate. This was not an issue on my Grand Cherokee and I believe it’s due to the highly integrated trailer hitch depth. No biggie and it’s just barely hitting. I will find a work around.

Overall I’m very impressed with the Ascent’s 4 cylinder towing. It goes as well as my 3.6 V6 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk did and even feels like it has more torque than the Jeep.

Safe travels everyone.
I bought a R&R Marine sliding TM mount for my Ulterra to solve the clearance issue

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Safe travels everyone.
I bought a R&R Marine sliding TM mount for my Ulterra to solve the clearance issue
Great idea, I will look into it. Thanks!

·
Registered
561 Posts
Thanks, it’s a great boat and all fiberglass construction. Bass Cat makes tournament bass fishing boats and I use to own one and bight this 17 footer when we put a pool in.

They are a small family owned boat company and are amazing. Lifetime warranty on hull transferable etc. people use these down in Florida on the flats and add towers etc they are that stable. The Honda 25HP four stroke is also super quiet and reliable. I’m really happy with it. The trolling motor on the front is operated by a remote control so when I take my son out, he can sit up front and cast while I’m in the back controlling everything. It also uses gps for spotlock, which holds you in a spot like an anchor. Pretty neat.
Very nice! For some reason it looked they it may be rivetless alum.
I'm familiar with Bass Cat and really like the way they manufacture their hulls, transoms and trailers. I've seen several factory tours and they really have their act together.
I currently have a Champion 205 and it's nice to see some other Ascent owners using it to tow their fishing rigs.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Very nice! For some reason it looked they it may be rivetless alum.
I'm familiar with Bass Cat and really like the way they manufacture their hulls, transoms and trailers. I've seen several factory tours and they really have their act together.
I currently have a Champion 205 and it's nice to see some other Ascent owners using it to tow their fishing rigs.
It’s always great to meet other anglers. Champion’s are great boats as well.

Before this I had a Bass Cat Cougar FTD and loved it. Since I rarely tourney fished it was overkill. I wish I would have gone this route from the beginning. It’s such a great boat.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Are those Honda marine motor as reliable as their car motors? I'm looking into Honda marine powered equipment

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Are those Honda marine motor as reliable as their car motors? I'm looking into Honda marine powered equipment
That’s exactly the reason why I opted for the Honda. It is or was also the only outboard that is also USCG approved in case I wanted to take it to FL with me. It’s super quiet as well and also sips fuel.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.