Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I only just heard about tow straps when seeing that they are required when driving on local beaches. I have no experience with them though and have a series of very n00b questions:
Is it better to get the nonstretchy 'tow straps' or the stretchy 'recovery straps/ropes'?
In what situations do u use this? stuck in snow?mud?sand? so like instead of getting out and pushing?
-if you're the one stuck - how do u attach them to the front or rear tow point on the Ascent? likewise if you're the one towing - do u attach them in the same way?
-if you have a hitch, does that change how you go about it?

Thanks!

·
Administrator
9,874 Posts
I only just heard about tow straps when seeing that they are required when driving on local beaches. I have no experience with them though and have a series of very n00b questions:
Is it better to get the nonstretchy 'tow straps' or the stretchy 'recovery straps/ropes'?
In what situations do u use this? stuck in snow?mud?sand? so like instead of getting out and pushing?
-if you're the one stuck - how do u attach them to the front or rear tow point on the Ascent? likewise if you're the one towing - do u attach them in the same way?

Thanks!
  • Stretchy, overly rated recovery straps are best (and most costly).
  • You have no tow hook point on the rear of an Ascent with a hitch. You need a hitch receiver based tow hook. I use this one. As I said, overly rated (30,000 pounds) to minimize the chance of it ever snapping.
  • The locking hitch pin on that Motormic kit will corrode in the weather - I use this one (in black, which isn't available any more - though I do have the chromed one as well) which has lasted really well.

It is a good idea to familiarize yourself with using such things by reading up on some off-roading sites.

ABSOLUTELY NEVER EVER allow anyone to stand next to either car, nor near any strap (they should be at least 1-2x the strap length away). If a strap snaps, they can literally cut through someone.

As for what situations I use them, I have a Subaru... I use them to pull OTHER people out. :tango_face_wink:

·
Administrator
9,874 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
Any regular tow strap rated that high, that's decent quality with good real reviews is fine for most people's needs. If you're mudding, you need a recovery strap instead though.

Even so, with the right tires, if you're pulling something at the 1.5-2 ton mark (most cars), the Ascent will barely notice.
I am not intentionally "mudding" , but how is recovery strap different from the one i have ?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's the same one i ordered. but then i saw that it a) doesn't stretch and b) has no way of attaching to the car.

so I'm trying to find out do u need d ring shackles to attach it to both vehicles (whether it's the hitch or the rear towing hook on the towing car)?

and is a stretchy recovery strap definitely better?

would doubly suck to be stuck and have the strap but no way to use it lol.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the helpful info.

what if u don't have a hitch? do u still need a d ring to attach that strap to the hook? and for the towee, do u use another shackle to attach it or u just loop it through itself?

thanks

Thanks!
  • Stretchy, overly rated recovery straps are best (and most costly).
  • You have no tow hook point on the rear of an Ascent with a hitch. You need a hitch receiver based tow hook. I use this one. As I said, overly rated (30,000 pounds) to minimize the chance of it ever snapping.
  • The locking hitch pin on that Motormic kit will corrode in the weather - I use this one (in black, which isn't available any more - though I do have the chromed one as well) which has lasted really well.

It is a good idea to familiarize yourself with using such things by reading up on some off-roading sites.

ABSOLUTELY NEVER EVER allow anyone to stand next to either car, nor near any strap (they should be at least 1-2x the strap length away). If a strap snaps, they can literally cut through someone.

As for what situations I use them, I have a Subaru... I use them to pull OTHER people out.

·
Registered
654 Posts
google info -(stretching to their capacity, then pulling the vehicle along as they attempt to return back to their unstretched condition. This slight amount of "give and take" eliminates the shock and jarring that occurs when trying to recover a vehicle with chains or straps that have no give, which actually makes a recovery effort more productive.)

IMO if doesn't stretch, and anything brakes it will not become "projectile" ...

loop it through itself you will have "Fun time " taking it off ...
also some mounting point are sharp, it will save your strap using D Ring Shackle

·
Registered
30 Posts
Page 418 of the owner's manual shows a front and rear towing hook. It appears that the front hook is maybe 1/4" sheet steel with a hole that should accept a shackle for a recovery/tow strap. If you have a hitch installed, the rear socket for the tow hook is apparently deleted, leaving the only option to be a hitch mounted tow hook as Robert indicated above. I'm planning to get a 30' 32k recovery strap that includes shackles and a 35k hitch mounted tow hook to keep ing the "trunk". I've already come close to being in a ditch, and I may have been able to provide some assistance to other ditch denizens if I had had this stuff.

·
Administrator
9,874 Posts
So what should, if anything be used on the front?
Stick a shackle through the underside hook, and attach the tow/yank strap to the shackle. Only use an OEM hitch in the rear if you're going to use a hitch hook to tow people from the rear.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Stick a shackle through the underside hook, and attach the tow/yank strap to the shackle. Only use an OEM hitch in the rear if you're going to use a hitch hook to tow people from the rear.
Well, I'm not with my Ascent, so any recommendation, say from amazon, that would fit?

I was going to get your recommended kit for the rear as I do have the factory hitch:

Would the shackle in this kit fit the front as well? I believe it says its a 3/4"

Thanks for the help... heading to the snow with the Ascent for the first time...

·
Administrator
9,874 Posts
Well, I'm not with my Ascent, so any recommendation, say from amazon, that would fit?

I was going to get your recommended kit for the rear as I do have the factory hitch:

Would the shackle in this kit fit the front as well? I believe it says its a 3/4"

Thanks for the help... heading to the snow with the Ascent for the first time...
Yes, the shackle from that kit fits the front as well. The strap is not super stretchy, it is not a "yank strap". If you think you'd need that, I'd get something else.

In the times I've needed it, the Ascent has proven to be more than powerful enough to gentle pull people out of mud and such. But, if it's icy, a "yank strap" might be better.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yes, the shackle from that kit fits the front as well. The strap is not super stretchy, it is not a "yank strap". If you think you'd need that, I'd get something else.

In the times I've needed it, the Ascent has proven to be more than powerful enough to gentle pull people out of mud and such. But, if it's icy, a "yank strap" might be better.
Something like....

Or would the rope option work as well...

Obviously I am new to this, so I appreciate your help and patience... Thanks

·
Administrator
9,874 Posts

·
Administrator
9,874 Posts

·
Administrator
9,874 Posts
Something like....

Or would the rope option work as well...

Obviously I am new to this, so I appreciate your help and patience... Thanks
GET THIS!!

Smittybilt CC122 4" Capacity Recoil Recovery Rope https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01F0UE82K/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_4Lb9DbK43HRBH

There's all sorts of wrong in the description. It's the 1.5" by 30 foot version, and ridiculously well priced at the moment.

Peanut The House Panther posed on request to help me give you an idea of how beefy it is. He's a 13 pound full grown adult cat.

Unlike some others, it easily fits in the bag, with room to spare, but, like the reviews say, the zipper is nothing special (the bag is solid).

·
Registered
377 Posts
^^^
60K lbs capacity? Looks like I'll need two for my next M1 Abrams recovery.

Probably gonna need a Cobb supported tune first.

Can we talk about that blanket? Did you want something that could double as backup backdrop when taking school pictures?

·
Administrator
9,874 Posts
^^^
60K lbs capacity? Looks like I'll need two for my next M1 Abrams recovery.

Probably gonna need a Cobb supported tune first.

Can we talk about that blanket? Did you want something that could double as backup backdrop when taking school pictures?
LMAO, it does make a good quick backdrop, which saves me unpacking my pro ones. ?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts