Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Premium
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Haven’t seen this discussed yet (and I did a search), but I noticed in the box that contained the ball hitch and hitch pin was a one-page information sheet. One sentence stated that the supplied tow hook that comes with all Ascents, whether they are equipped with a hitch or not, cannot be used if your Ascent has a hitch installed. I can only assume that the horizontal hitch brace/bar that replaces the crash bar does not have the threaded receptacle for the supplied tow hook. I’ve decided to order a shackle hitch receiver to store in the back, along with a tow strap, for those trips to those locations where I potentially could end up needing a tow out of whatever trouble I might find myself in, though I will probably never need it. Here’s the product I ordered: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06WLMF23C/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Some of the tow straps will have looped eyelet ends that will fit into the 2” receiver. The you can just use the hitch pin to secure the tow strap. I have found some to be hard to do this to so your results may vary but it is common in the 4X4 world.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Why use a tow hook when you have a 5000 pound tow capacity hitch? The Subaru owners manual says not to keep the tow hook installed, since it may interfere with the sensor that shuts off the gas in a rear-end collision.

·
Administrator
10,948 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Premium
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I never suggested keeping the tow hook installed, however, if you have the hitch but don't regularly carry your ball hitch/stinger in the car, and you end up needing to be towed from the rear, the tow hook located by the spare is not going to do you any good, which was the reason for my original post. I believe some Ascent owners with hitches installed might not have been aware that they couldn't use the tow hook if needed. The one suggestion to use a looped tow strap anchored in place by the hitch pin is one way, assuming you have your hitch pin, or a shackle hitch as mentioned in the original post is another. For those who might carry their ball hitch in the car with them (which is something I don't do), I guess they could always try to affix a tow strap to the ball, but I think that potentially could be problematic.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Spent a good 1-2 hours researching this, was going to go with the Motormic kit on amazon but ended up with well known brand names. (ARB Snatch strap and shackles. Smittybilt hitch shackle). Couldn’t find Motormic outside of Amazon and all my ARB purchases have been solid. CS is top notch too.

Would hate to have something like that fail in that situation.

While a hitch pin would work, I feel an actual hitch shackle would provide a more safety for pulls that are off angle.

Saw that Rhino USA brand, felt their marketing is a little misleading. They’re made in China but with a little creative and selective web copy a lot of people in the reviews seem to think they’re made in the USA. They may of been at one time, but not anymore. They don’t correct them in their replies, just say thanks! Even their logo/font/colors is a straight Monster energy knock off. Don’t have any issues buying USA and paying a premium but I felt they were just misleading buyers.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
There are two hooks/holes located next to the receiver- can't the tow truck man fit a winch hook or two thru there?

If we can't, I imagine someone sells a short tow strap/loop that can be pinned inside the receiver. I wouldn't go that far to get the tow shackle yet if all you need is temporary solution, in an emergency situation.

·
Administrator
10,948 Posts
There are two hooks/holes located next to the receiver- can't the tow truck man fit a winch hook or two thru there?

If we can't, I imagine someone sells a short tow strap/loop that can be pinned inside the receiver. I wouldn't go that far to get the tow shackle yet if all you need is temporary solution, in an emergency situation.
I use mine so I don't need a tow truck... to pull other people out. :tango_face_wink:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts