Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I could not find an answer to my question on this forum: Do I need to use Subaru's special ball mount assembly (L101SXC400) on my new trailer hitch (part L101SXC004) for my 2020 Ascent?

We just drove her home from the dealer, and are looking to install the tow package here first thing. I am sourcing parts online and doing the work myself. I dont see why I need to pay through the nose for Subarus receiver, cant I just use a normal 2" receiver? If so, which one are you guys using, that didn't cost $115?

Thank you!

·
Registered
561 Posts
You can use anything that works in your 2" receiver hitch. The factory hitch looks to be a 4" drop. But ball drop (boy does THAT sound wrong!) is subjective and will vary from trailer to trailer. Figure out how high your trailer ball needs to be in order to ride level, then add an inch or two for rear suspension sag and go forward from there.

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
Hello,

I could not find an answer to my question on this forum: Do I need to use Subaru's special ball mount assembly (L101SXC400) on my new trailer hitch (part L101SXC004) for my 2020 Ascent?

We just drove her home from the dealer, and are looking to install the tow package here first thing. I am sourcing parts online and doing the work myself. I dont see why I need to pay through the nose for Subarus receiver, cant I just use a normal 2" receiver? If so, which one are you guys using, that didn't cost $115?

Thank you!
ball mount height calculations

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,844 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I have 4 ball mounts with different drops as needed to match up receiver height and tongue height between various vehicles and trailers. I'd have more than 4 if I needed a different drop than I already have. These things are cheap and available at Walmart, Home Depot, etc...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Apologies in advance but wanted to share a data point. I ordered the kit (L101SXC002) online in Apr 2019 and my kit came with the mount (no ball though. ball-less?), pin, and clip. I was going to respond that you needn't worry since the kit came with one in the box, but that may have been some weird packing mistake. All posted info points to that ball mount not being part of the kit.

·
Administrator
10,948 Posts
Apologies in advance but wanted to share a data point. I ordered the kit (L101SXC002) online in Apr 2019 and my kit came with the mount (no ball though. ball-less?), pin, and clip. I was going to respond that you needn't worry since the kit came with one in the box, but that may have been some weird packing mistake. All posted info points to that ball mount not being part of the kit.
It's not part of L101SXC004, but is a part of yours.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Check out the parts list of the L101SXC002 and then see how it was removed at L101SXC003. So if you can find an old stock L101SXC002 like you did, that would be the best option. It appears they're out of stock everywhere and replaced by L101SXC004.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Yep. I got the newer version that didn't come with the ball mount. Since class III 7500 lb ball mounts go for ~$20, it's not something I've concerned myself with.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts