Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Limited but I really like those wood panels on the Touring. Even through they are not real wood. Any idea on how to get that look without breaking the bank.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I have a Limited but I really like those wood panels on the Touring. Even through they are not real wood. Any idea on how to get that look without breaking the bank.
It would not be inexpensive, but it probably only involves popping off the old trim and popping on the new Touring trim. I personally would spend the money if it is something you want. Probably around $500. Look at this section for some prices for the pieces under "trim."

https://parts.subaru.com/Subaru_2019_Ascent-Touring-wEyeSight-24L/Interior.html

Here is a link for the trim piece nearest the drivers side door. When you search, scroll down the page and look the most expensive parts first.

https://parts.subaru.com/a/Subaru_2...4847/INSTRUMENT-PANEL-FITTING/W11-660-01.html

·
Registered
111 Posts
Another avenue to take is to find a Touring owner who isn't a fan of the wood, and swap. That'd be free, and you'd make a Subie friend!

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I did this with my Outback. I used one of the online stores (dealership that sells online) that already discounts and waited for additional coupons by email after signing up. It's common to see 30% off during holidays, etc. You can save big this way and buy all the accessories, oil filers, etc. at a good discount.

How many trim pieces are on the Acsent? Are there only 5 (each door and the center stack), or are there any tiny bits I'm not seeing?

Edit: I see one tiny bit. It's the cap for the shift lock in the center trim. Part numbers are below. Please feel free to double check the diagrams. Total is about $387 from the parts site I looked at.

LF: 94218XC03A
RF: 94218XC02A
LR: 94228XC03A
RR: 94228XC02A
trim around shifter: 92121XC09A
cap for shift lock: 92183XC01A

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Raz007 idea is perfect except I think it is a long shot. I think I will go with rockthebeef route. rockthebeef thank you for the part numbers. Can you tell me an online dealer who gives out discount code. I will registered with them and hope for a Black Friday deal.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Raz007 idea is perfect except I think it is a long shot. I think I will go with rockthebeef route. rockthebeef thank you for the part numbers. Can you tell me an online dealer who gives out discount code. I will registered with them and hope for a Black Friday deal.
Please double check the part numbers. I think they're right, but I did it fairly quickly without really proofing the list.
I like subarupartswarehouse myself.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I did the same thing with my 2017 Honda Ridgeline - upgraded the "T" trim pieces to the top level "E" trim. Looks great - all pop off and push on. Cost me around $200. Shipping costs were a little steep.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I did the same thing with my 2017 Honda Ridgeline - upgraded the "T" trim pieces to the top level "E" trim. Looks great - all pop off and push on. Cost me around $500. Shipping costs were a little steep.
That must've been super easy. I know with the Outback you had to remove the door panels and some of the dash since the pieces were screwed in from behind. I think only one piece was a a pop-off.

I was in the market for a Highlander and I did the same parts search for the wood pieces. You'd have top buy each door card and the dashboard assemblies at around $400-500 each! In doing recent car shopping research, I really like the availability of and pricing of Subaru parts compared to other makes. It's great for the DIYer.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Another option that I am considering is this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BNTHMKM/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A10111992WJRYRFBZH9IS&psc=1

The problem is I have never wrap anything with this paper film before. I might buy a small piece just to test it out on some other item first.
Nothing wrong with VVivid wrap. That brand is one of the best. You should not have any trouble installing it, but matching the grain of the wood might be a challenge. You might try the carbon fiber look. My son just did the trim pieces on his WRX and it came out great. Of course, he is a perfectionist. He also did the hood of his brother's WRX. They did not have time to finish the scoop, but it will get done next week.

If you do go that route you will need a heat gun to get the wrinkles out of the VVivid wrap while you are installing it. It naturally wants to crinkle up when you take off the backing. Also you will need a very sharp razor knife for vinyl.

https://www.amazon.com/Wagner-05030...=1-1-catcorr&keywords=wagner+heat+tool+ht1000

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NT-Cutter-...5db:g:KfMAAOSwB-1YyBH6&_nkw=vinyl+knife&rt=nc

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Sparkland for the info. I think that I am leaning toward the Vvivid wrap direction. I just order the knife. I think I will use my wife hair dryer as a heat gun.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Thanks Sparkland for the info. I think that I am leaning toward the Vvivid wrap direction. I just order the knife. I think I will use my wife hair dryer as a heat gun.
Not to disappoint you, but the hair dryer probably will not get hot enough for you to stretch the wrap properly around curves. I updated my previous post to show you the exact heat gun tool we have. It works great. You will find many more uses for it, than just applying wrap.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I had my front door panels off the other day for a speaker installation. I confirmed that the wood panels are screwed in just like the Outback. This isn't a very detailed picture, but you can see the series of screws around where the panel is located.

I'm still not sure if I want to do the swap. The plain black panels look fine with the ivory leather interior. The Touring wood trim would look nice, but if I can choose a better grain that would tastefully pop a little more (zebrano?, maple?, rosewood?) I might go the vinyl route. If I did this, I might buy a spare set of black plastic panels so I can take my time, or send them out to get hydrodipped.

The center console trim around the shifter may be challenging. I'm not sure what it looks like and if the assembly can be stripped down to ease the wrap installation. Do professionals wrap the pieces in place, or take them off?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I had my front door panels off the other day for a speaker installation. I confirmed that the wood panels are screwed in just like the Outback. This isn't a very detailed picture, but you can see the series of screws around where the panel is located.

I'm still not sure if I want to do the swap. The plain black panels look fine with the ivory leather interior. The Touring wood trim would look nice, but if I can choose a better grain that would tastefully pop a little more (zebrano?, maple?, rosewood?) I might go the vinyl route. If I did this, I might buy a spare set of black plastic panels so I can take my time, or send them out to get hydrodipped.

The center console trim around the shifter may be challenging. I'm not sure what it looks like and if the assembly can be stripped down to ease the wrap installation. Do professionals wrap the pieces in place, or take them off?
Question: Can you remove the armrest without taking off the entire door panel? On my wife's Camry, the armrests just pop on/off, so they are easy to replace if one gets worn or torn. Not so easy on my son's STI or WRX.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Question: Can you remove the armrest without taking off the entire door panel? On my wife's Camry, the armrests just pop on/off, so they are easy to replace if one gets worn or torn. Not so easy on my son's STI or WRX.
I didn't really look at that piece, so I don't know for sure. I would think you do have to remove the entire panel to get at the armrest. I'm fairly certain that my Outback was that way and it seems like the WRX/STI are the same way as well.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the photos of the door panel rockthebeef. Can you tell me how long did it take you to remove the door panel? Was it difficult? I think I am going the wrap route.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Thanks for the photos of the door panel rockthebeef. Can you tell me how long did it take you to remove the door panel? Was it difficult? I think I am going the wrap route.
It takes a few minutes to remove the door panel. It's like any Toyota/Honda/Subaru/Nissan, etc that I've personally experienced in that past. You just remove two Phillips screws. They're under some plastic covers that pry right out behind the inner door handle and in the little hole where you pull the door closed at the armrest. Then you take your panel tools and get one of the plastic fasteners to pop out at the bottom corner. Continue popping them by hand out around the lower 2/3 perimeter of the door. If any of the fasteners remain attached to the door, remove them and place them back onto the door panel for re-installation.

At that point the panel is simply hanging by the window sill. Lift it up and the whole thing comes up and out but you need to keep it supported in order to reach down and disconnect a few connectors for the windows, puddle lights, etc. Then you unhook the two cables for the door latch before it's finally free.

if you don't already have them, get a set of plastic panel removing tools. They work wonders and won't hack away at plastic like a screwdriver would. Screwdrivers are for paint cans. :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Finally completed the door panel wrap. Except...

I finally finish with the wood panel wrap. Over all I am very happy with it considering this is my first time doing a wrap. I still have not wrap the center console because I don't know how to take it apart. If someone can provide me with diagrams or instruction that would be greatly appreciated. I also made a couple of videos. I didn't make a video on the wrap because there are thousand of how to wrap video on youtube. Here are some links.

VVIVID Dark Wood Grain wrap
https://www.amazon.com/VViViD-Textu...d=1537428606&sr=8-4&keywords=vvivid+dark+wood

How to remove door panel 2019 Subaru Ascent

2019 Subaru Ascent door panel wrap

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
Awesome job! I'm tempted, but I have a buddy that does wraps, so I may just have him do it for me. :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts