Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Certain sections of the leather seats in our brand-new Ascent Touring look like this:

It's very disappointing for the higher trim level. Doesn't come close to the showroom model. Not stoked.

Just wanted to share. Any suggestions?

Attachments

·
Registered
73 Posts
By the way in case you did not know it already the seats are "leather trimmed". I called Subaru and they explained to me that only the bits with the holes is leather, all else is vinyl or Subaru-Tex. I like to call it Naugahyde but I think that stuff was thicker. I saw a car at the dealer that had after market leather and it was really nice.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Certain sections of the leather seats in our brand-new Ascent Touring look like this:

It's very disappointing for the higher trim level. Doesn't come close to the showroom model. Not stoked.

Just wanted to share. Any suggestions?
Quality is very poor!

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Leather is a natural product and will crease. There is not much you or Subaru can do about it.

People insist on real leather, but leather is not a perfect product, it has many faults and issues that make it less than an ideal product for car seats. One such issue is creasing. Subaru uses a mix of genuine leather and faux leather. Faux leather looks and feels close to genuine leather, but is less prone to the problems that are seen with genuine leather. But if they were to use all faux leather, they would receive much criticism and couldn't accurately claim that they offer leather seats.

So either take the genuine leather sections faults and all, or choose fabric over leather.

It should be noted that many people like the way genuine leather creases much the same way people like the way genuine wood grain looks and ages as opposed to faux leather and wood. These "faults" are actually characteristics that prove the authenticity of genuine natural products as opposed to their faux counterparts where such characteristic faults have been engineered out. Take a good look at high quality, genuine leather furniture, you'll see natural creases form as opposed to faux leather furniture which usually remains smoother. But genuine leather furniture, creases and all, is superior in touch and feel.

·
Registered
835 Posts
^ I'm in that latter category.

And FWIW, I actually think the supposedly true-leather, perforated, seating surfaces on my Touring are holding up pretty well. I carry a pretty comprehensive "EDC" - (E)very (D)ay (C)arry - load in my jeans' back pocket (wallet on one side, balanced out by a small trauma/med kit and pepper-spray [MK6-type] on the other) and beltline (at the minimum, a CAT7 TQ), and I've yet to notice any undue creasing.

On top of that (no pun intended), I am a porky 250 lbs. on a medium 6'-height frame........ :eek:

·
Registered
646 Posts
On top of that (no pun intended), I am a porky 250 lbs. on a medium 6'-height frame........ :eek:
6' 250 all day bro #'murica'murica'murica'murica! I mean I'm just lazy :)

We have creases, not too bad, but like mentioned it shows it's real. Our old Tribeca never creased and you could tell it wasn't real leather. Nothing wrong with the Tribeca seats but you can tell the Ascent is more like a nice thin baseball glove.

·
Registered
835 Posts
^ I'm Taiwanese by birth, Chinese by ancestry/lineage. First-generation immigrant, naturalized at 14 with my parents, so I consider myself American by choice. :)

I think my porkiness is divided half as bacon and the other half as pork-belly. :D

Back on-topic:

My Tribeca's driver seat cushion eventually picked up a nice "dent" in the inboard side over the course of the three years I had it. It never wrinkled, of-course. I think it's very possible that it'll steam out. The reseller's detailer was able to completely restore the driver's seat in my '05 Legacy 2.5GT, and I'd worn very thin one spot in the outboard bolster.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Georgina, I have the same wrinkles in my Touring. I am not sure how normal this is. I am reading the above about how wrinkles are normal for leather but I am wondering if there should be that many when new and still be normal. I plan to check the seats in my two pickups with leather tonight and see if they have the same wrinkles and I just haven't noticed. I would think that manufacturers can set the bar for the level of quality of the hides they use and pick out less wavy or cut around the waves. Or maybe I just have not paid enough attention to seats before.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I have the same wrinkles even with my aftermarket 100% leather seats! The design of the seat makes it hard to avoid especially if you happen to be a little wider down below (6ft 250 Club as well).

Attachments

·
Registered
155 Posts
I have the same wrinkles even with my aftermarket 100% leather seats! The design of the seat makes it hard to avoid especially if you happen to be a little wider down below (6ft 250 Club as well).
Very beautiful of this kind of after market.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Thank you for your feedback. Does anyone see the area where the fill behind the leather seems insufficient. The stitching and panel look fine, but the cushion/fill behind is not "plump"—so there is loose material.
Mine is ok. It seems stuff not full or stitch not tight.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I looked at my Chevy leather seats and my older GMC leather seats. The newer does not have any wrinkles like I see in my Ascent. The older has character lines that came with time. Hmmmm......

·
Registered
764 Posts
Pay attention to how you get in and out as well. If you are sitting on the side and sliding in you are going to get those unattractive folds on the side of any seat. If you gently slide in you won't have that issue.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Pay attention to how you get in and out as well. If you are sitting on the side and sliding in you are going to get those unattractive folds on the side of any seat. If you gently slide in you won't have that issue.
Don't blame the victims of creases. Acura service techs did this, and sometimes tried to get female drivers to slide in while the service techs watched their behinds to resolve seating wear. Not males, though,

·
Registered
2 Posts
Similar issue with our Limited.

Also have issues with unexpectedly wrinkled leather on driver's side seat. No issue on passenger side. Almost feels like there's a dent in the underlying foam (on the side of the seat) that there isn't on the passenger side. Going to talk with our dealer and get their take. (Limited with just 500 miles, by the way.)

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Been a while but just wanted to update my original post to say that our dealer agreed the leather didn't look right, and they replaced the driver's seat under warranty. Just thought I should share in case others are having similar issues.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts