Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am sure that someone has had this idea in the past, but I am unable to find anything via the search function. Have any Limited (or other trim level) owners thought about replacing the front grille with the Touring gloss black front grille? Just wondering how difficult it would be to change this out.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
My grill is gray!

I just realized that my front grille is actually gray which matches my magnetite gray color. End of thread!

·
Registered
2020 8 Seat Limited (Crystal White Pearl)
67 Posts
Has anyone tried / done this modification? I ordered the Touring grille (part 91121XC01A) from a local dealer and when I went to pick it up, they tried to give me a Limited grille (91121XC00A). I told them I ordered & want the Touring grille and they said because my VIN shows that I have a Limited, the system flagged it and the order was "corrected" to a Limited grille because they are not allowed to sell parts across trim models (due to liability, warranty, safety bla bla bla). I said it's a plastic grille and they said it could affect other sensors / components and jeopardize safety etc.

Are there any other electronic pieces on the Touring grille besides the front view camera?

What's weird is that their SubaruOnlineparts.com site told me the parts fits my VIN and it allowed me to order it.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Unfortunately happens a lot.... if you ask to order by part # they need to order by part # , It's none of their business what part you ask them to order. It's none of their business how many cars you own or have or what you are using that part for....

but you do need to check if Limited got opening for front camera ...
on Foresters all front grills have opening with a plug ,. but none (in US) have camera :)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Yeah - I should refrain from inserting my VIN in the "Insert VIN so we can guarantee fit or else we will not refund if it doesn't" field when it's a simple plastic & dumb swap up piece.

I told them I prefer to keep my business local but if they wouldn't budge on it, I will take a refund. I finished ordering it online before he finished my refund and I showed him my confirmation email. 🙂

·
Registered
67 Posts
I received and installed a Touring grille on my Limited today. The Touring grille is an exact fit - there is a small opening under the Subaru emblem where the forward facing camera would go but it's hardly noticeable.

The swap in does require removing the bumper fascia but it wasn't bad. It's essentially removing I think 19 plastic pop out clips, (8 on top of the grille, 9 under the bumper fascia and 1 in each wheel well), disconnecting the fog lights, laying the fascia on a blanket and then removing 6 screws to release the grille from the fascia - about a 30 to 45 minute project at a casual Wednesday evening pace.

I like the outcome - I think the Crystal White Pearl looks much better with the grille with gloss black slats.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Had no idea there was a difference either!
This swap and the outback blacked out headlights may be a must do.

·
Registered
67 Posts
...This swap and the outback blacked out headlights may be a must do.
Hmmm. Blacked out headlights would REALLY make my front end pop! My wife's Cross Trek has them and I am sooo jealous. ☹

The price of the headlight units though may make this do-able only if Santa shows up with them. 😛

·
Registered
67 Posts
Anyone out there interested in doing the Touring grille upgrade or the the blacked out headlights (Outback headlight swap) upgrade or the Touring interior wood trim upgrades?

If so, I can help you do any or all on the cheap - I pulled all my upgrade pieces when I sold my Limited last month - looking to re-owner them at significantly reduced cost.

Post to be dropped in the For Sale category soon.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts