Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so at about 30k miles and the grill camera lense caught a rock and cracked.
Dealers wants $512 for part & install, I can get it for $220. it like like it might be pretty easy to replace myself. Does anyone have any exprience with this?

(part number 86357XC000 )

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
It looks completely plug-n-play. Since your camera is already broken, maybe see if you can remove it. If you can do that, then you should be able to install a new one without much issue. One concern might be caibration once it's installed, but it may not need any at all (which is my guess).

·
Administrator
10,968 Posts
It looks completely plug-n-play. Since your camera is already broken, maybe see if you can remove it. If you can do that, then you should be able to install a new one without much issue. One concern might be caibration once it's installed, but it may not need any at all (which is my guess).
It's plug-and-play. check out this article, for WRX but similar application, to understand the magnitude of the repair.
If you're capable of minor repair work, it is pretty easy. Follow the directions in the link @Trey T shared, adjusting for slightly different wire routing (you can trace back the wires pretty easily) and, evaluate whether or not you think you need to take apart as much of the bumper/grillwork.

I'm a "by feel" worker on cars, and have done things like replace my horns without removing anything. Most people aren't Regardless, some of the stuff you can get to with removing less on the Ascent because of the larger amount of working room.

A good trim kit may come in handy. I use this one:

It's great for occasional work. If I were doing this as a job, I might spend more and get better ones, but that kit is actually really good, and pretty complete (all else that's required is a philips head screwdriver for the twist pushclips).

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I'm a "by feel" worker on cars, and have done things like replace my horns without removing anything...
You're giving me Gen 4 Outback headlight replacement flashbacks! Do it by feel and make sure to clean up the blood afterwards. ?

I actually got good at it, but then went with HIDs eventually.

·
Administrator
10,968 Posts
You're giving me Gen 4 Outback headlight replacement flashbacks! Do it by feel and make sure to clean up the blood afterwards. ?

I actually got good at it, but then went with HIDs eventually.
LMAO!!! YES!!! :mad: :ROFLMAO:

Exactly that!!! Hey, it was great practice though. I can now rebuild half my car with my eyes closed. :ROFLMAO:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts