Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think the front camera on the touring is a very cool feature especially in cramp parking area. We bought the limited because we needed 8 passengers. Anyone knows if it is possible to upgrade to the touring front camera.

·
Registered
932 Posts
At this time, no. As time goes on, if they do offer it for a Limited in the future, you may be able to do something like this but you may have to change other components.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Not just convenient for parking spaces, I noticed that it came in very handy when trying to see left and right when squeezing between bushes or cars on both sides. These cameras are "180 degrees" so I was able to see much better now compared trying to stick my head forward and seeing through windshield.

For example, you know how when you're coming out of parking lot and it's a two lane street that you're trying to cross. The car on closest lane yields to you to let you squeeze by but then you have to be careful about traffic coming from the 2nd lane; they may not be yielding at all. The camera will allow you to see much better!! :)

·
Registered
313 Posts
It really depends on where it plugs in to the system and if the software will run it if detected or if it requires it being programmed in via VIN or option codes to use it. OEMs have, and do, take both approaches. So, what I mean is there is a chance you could buy the part and add it.

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
I think a good starting point is for someone with a touring to take a photo of where the front camera is plugged into. Then the rest of us without touring can see if we have the same socket available on our ascent.
Paging @Robert.Mauro :)

·
Registered
313 Posts
You will only be able to use it on the limited because of the display. The premium display is different from limited and touring
I see the Touring/Limited MFD is 85261XC110 and the Premium/Bases MFD is 85261FL020, I'm curious what the differences are since there are only three headunits (Base, 8.5 non-navi and 8.5 navi), and the only difference I can think of would be to handle the front view camera which would then make sense to only have a different MFD on the Touring. Are there any other differences for the MFD?

·
Registered
9 Posts
According to my service department, the small display has to be changed out to the touring color display to even hope to add the camera. Other changes may also be needed (he wasn't sure). It sounded like Subaru engineers never considered the option in lower trims. I wish they did. My previous car had front sensors for parking. With the tall hood, I find myself parking about two feet further back than I think I am.

·
Registered
492 Posts
According to my service department, the small display has to be changed out to the touring color display to even hope to add the camera. Other changes may also be needed (he wasn't sure). It sounded like Subaru engineers never considered the option in lower trims. I wish they did. My previous car had front sensors for parking. With the tall hood, I find myself parking about two feet further back than I think I am.
Just takes time to get used to the dimensions, then you'll be parking like a pro, without those sensors.

I started a thread a while back for Touring tech in a Limited, and so far the biggest road block is that there is not a connection for the camera in the front wiring harness.

The connection for the front camera is supposed to be between the driver side headlight and the grille (up top, right where you can reach it). But on the Limited, that pig tail is not even there and not part of the wiring harness.

·
Administrator
10,948 Posts
I think a good starting point is for someone with a touring to take a photo of where the front camera is plugged into. Then the rest of us without touring can see if we have the same socket available on our ascent.
lol, not being the guinea pig this time!!! :grin:

Nah, seriously, I don't have the time, nor the spludgers to take apart the dash without doing damage. Sorry gang. If I ever get the electronics portion of the service manual downloaded, I'll check in there. Some others here have managed to download the whole service manual, IIRC... perhaps they can check?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I would not take my car a part either unless I am trying to fixe a problem. I would love to have the service manual. Sorry what is IIRC?

·
Administrator
10,948 Posts
I would not take my car a part either unless I am trying to fixe a problem. I would love to have the service manual. Sorry what is IIRC?

Hi,

IIRC = If I Recall Correctly.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Youtube has videos of people installing after-market cameras and hooking them up to the head unit, so it seems likely that it would be possible on a non-Touring Ascent, too. I will ask an audio shop about it if Subaru's techs aren't willing.

·
Registered
36 Posts
If anyone has removed the 8" view screen and/or head unit on your H-K Touring or Limited, could you please post pics of the connectors on the back? Wondering it there are generic AV jacks or some crazy proprietary ones. Thanks in advance!

·
Administrator
10,948 Posts
If anyone has removed the 8" view screen and/or head unit on your H-K Touring or Limited, could you please post pics of the connectors on the back? Wondering it there are generic AV jacks or some crazy proprietary ones. Thanks in advance!
I sincerely doubt there's RCA connectors on the back. There haven't been in years, because of the vast number of connecting wires back there. It's likely a harness, with two of the wires dedicated to video, and the rest dedicated to power and sensing.

The upper screen likely has 2 wire video connector(s) though.

·
Registered
334 Posts
How does the front camera gets activated?

Either manually (button for top display) or when you first put the car in drive. I wish it knew when I was pulling into a parking stall and automatically displayed then - the front hood of the Ascent is high and it would be helpful!

Reactions: Trey T

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Either manually (button for top display) or when you first put the car in drive. I wish it knew when I was pulling into a parking stall and automatically displayed then - the front hood of the Ascent is high and it would be helpful!
For convenience, I imagine you can wire up a relay and control it via hi-beam switch. When approaching parking stall, flick the light stalk to activate. The road to get there for a Limited model can be a challenged w/o a service manual.

It sounds like a cool project once I get my Limited.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts