Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When i got my car, an outlet tester happened to be left in it. I stashed it away and happened to find it today. I've had some trouble in the past with my laptop charging and i figured I'd test the outlet. It shows there is an open ground. My question: is that normal because the car is essentially not grounded to earth or is something wrong with my wiring?

·
Administrator
11,089 Posts
When i got my car, an outlet tester happened to be left in it. I stashed it away and happened to find it today. I've had some trouble in the past with my laptop charging and i figured I'd test the outlet. It shows there is an open ground. My question: is that normal because the car is essentially not grounded to earth or is something wrong with my wiring?
Yes, cars and trailers (except when plugged into a land power receptacle) have an open or floating ground. Since the only way to get a real ground is with an earth ground, such testers cannot find ground.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have problems charging my laptops too. It's well within what it's supposed to be rated, but it doesn't charge my laptop, no matter what I do.
Weird. I drive long distances and usually my machine just shuts down. Took me a bit to realize it isn't getting charged.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, cars and trailers (except when plugged into a land power receptacle) have an open or floating ground. Since the only way to get a real ground is with an earth ground, such testers cannot find ground.
Thanks for the info. Now if only i could figure out why it doesnt charge my laptop...

·
Administrator
11,089 Posts
I have a thought...

Thanks for the info. Now if only i could figure out why it doesnt charge my laptop...
Asssuming your laptop's charger is 100W or less, the inverter may be off. Some inverters may require a load or trigger current, and some laptop chargers don't provide a load when plugged in. A tiny sense current is pulled from the AC line, which triggers the laptop charger to then turn on and charge the laptop. If that's the cause, and if the Ascent inverter uses a sensing system to turn on and off (which is probably likely), then, that may be your problem.

To test my theory, grab any old surge protector or power strip, plug it in, and, if it doesn't turn on (it likely should), plug your tester into it. Then try your laptop charger through it.

If that works, then perhaps an aftermarket universal laptop charger or a different model one would work.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I’m betting because it’s not a pure sinewave inverter.

I have a 2k watt pure sine wave inverter I use for garment steamers, oxx coffeemaker, hair stylist tools that otherwise would not work since they are so high tech now.

If the only thing you need to power is a laptop with AC power then I’d just get a DC charger.

·
Registered
978 Posts
I’m betting because it’s not a pure sinewave inverter.

I have a 2k watt pure sine wave inverter I use for garment steamers, oxx coffeemaker, hair stylist tools that otherwise would not work since they are so high tech now.

If the only thing you need to power is a laptop with AC power then I’d just get a DC charger.
Sinewave doesn’t matter. Laptops aren’t picky the inverter in the laptop cable typically drops voltage to the computer down to 12volts or less.

I think the suggestion that the inverter is off till tripped on is the likely culprit. Inverters are terrible power hogs so unless its being used it makes alot of sense that it goes into a quiet mode.

I have use a small pocket inverter for years to charge laptops they actually draw very little regarding amps/watts

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.