Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Has anyone found some "genuine" Subaru Touch Up Paint for the Ascents?
My dealer said it (Abyss Blue Pearl) wasn't even available to order yet. So I contacted SoA customer service and they immediately replied back saying it WAS available to order and there is no delay. Even provided me with the part number. Gave this info to my dealer and we ordered it. Took about a week to get in, and I just picked it up.

I think the hang up is that it is not easily found just by searching the system for it. We couldn't find it without the actual part number. SoA customer service comes through again! :grin:

Part number for Abyss Blue Pearl touch up paint: J361SXC000A1

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
I went to my local dealer because I already have a ding/chip in the paint. They did not have any in stock but it could be ordered for $22.
I am not sure most Subaru dealers even keep much touch-up paint in stock. I had to order it from the dealer for our 2008 STI, 2015 WRX, 2016 WRX and our 2018 Outback.
It is possible and wouldn't surprise me. The parts guy said he had most colors in stock, except for the red. Decided I didn't need it anyway since I'm putting a pinstripe over the chip.

·
Registered
646 Posts
14.95 from subaru genuine parts (bellview? Dealer). Added to timing belt kit for my impreza

·
Registered
86 Posts
My dealer said it (Abyss Blue Pearl) wasn't even available to order yet. So I contacted SoA customer service and they immediately replied back saying it WAS available to order and there is no delay. Even provided me with the part number. Gave this info to my dealer and we ordered it. Took about a week to get in, and I just picked it up.

I think the hang up is that it is not easily found just by searching the system for it. We couldn't find it without the actual part number. SoA customer service comes through again! :grin:

How much did you pay for the Abyss Blue Pearl? I don't need it yet but thinking of keeping one just in case.

Would anyone know the shelf life of this? Also, once you open it, how long can you keep it without it drying up?

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
How much did you pay for the Abyss Blue Pearl? I don't need it yet but thinking of keeping one just in case.

Would anyone know the shelf life of this? Also, once you open it, how long can you keep it without it drying up?
The touch up paint for my Toyota lasted 6+ years. There was a pen side and a brush side. The pen side obviously dried up, but the brush side worked fine.

Reactions: tariktik

·
Registered
492 Posts

I think the hang up is that it is not easily found just by searching the system for it. We couldn't find it without the actual part number. SoA customer service comes through again!

The local dealerships here always charge MSRP for everything but I told them what Heuberger had it listed for and my parts lady matched their price for me. Worth a shot for your local guys too.

I haven't had much luck with these paint pens. They always seem like a one time use for me, even when I make sure to properly tighten the cap before storing. Once, I even opened a sealed/unused one and the paint was completely gummed up. Luckily, Duplicolor replaced that one for me.

I think these Subaru ones are Sherwin-Williams though?

I imagine these pens are built all the same. So after I use this one I'm going to put it into a ziplock and then into an airtight glass container!

·
Registered
304 Posts
I'd recommend a clear bra over touch-up paint, every single time, if you're worried about rock chips, etc.

For scratches through the clear and paint layers, take it to someone who does professional paint correction. I've never thought touch-up paint applied directly to a scratch looked any better than just having the scratch. But if properly filled, sanded, and then painted using touch-up paint, it can look okay.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts