Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Search function not working for me and nothing found searching Ascent Torque Vectoring in google.
Just noticed my Ascent is making a creaking type noise around corners. Is this the torque vectoring applying the anti-lock brakes?

·
Registered
978 Posts
No

But a noisy strut will do that.

In extreme situations the ABS brake system will operate brakes at various wheels for various reasons. The general reference to Torque vectoring is typically seen and discussed in the classic x up lifted wheel off road situation where the abs system will stop/prevent wheel spin on the lifted tire. The basic physics of open differentials the gear box between opposing wheels, results in power pushed to the opposite tire when the spinning tire is braked, stopped. This is essentially Torque vectoring.

The awd system does move power allocation around between front and back based on throttle position, speed etc. In a general sense that is Torque vectoring also.

But it doesn’t show up in squeaky suspension.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How fast are you taking corners? You have to be nearing tire slip limit to get it to engage. Subaru Drive Performance - Blueprints: Get Active ? Subaru Unleashes Active Torque Vectoring (12.1)
Maybe it's trying to communicate to you and get you to loosen the intake bolts :)
25mph and there is a slight curb. After hitting the curb several more times yesterday and today, i'm thinking it is the strut:(

Maybe I should tighten all the strut bolts with my breaker bar within the hand jack handle:)

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
25mph and there is a slight curb. After hitting the curb several more times yesterday and today, i'm thinking it is the strut:(

Maybe I should tighten all the strut bolts with my breaker bar within the hand jack handle:)
Someone else actually had a defective strut, so, that may not solve your issue.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
it only happens when hitting bumps around a corner....and seems to only happen when turning left, so maybe it's the right front strut.
I might wait until it really starts to fail and make noise on every bump so the dealer can easily replicate.

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Registered
646 Posts
TQ vectoring comes it to play at the upper limits of cornering not 25mph. It does sound like a strut or suspension issue.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm to try and huck it into some corners today to see how this thing handles and see if i can tell when TQ Vectoring is activated.
I'm impressed with moderate speed and cornering for such a tall crossover.

·
Registered
61 Posts
we are the one (or one of the ones) with a defective right front strut. parts are finally in so getting it replaced on monday, so wont know until after it is replaced if it really is the right front strut. the dealership was able to replicate the noise by turning left.

i am getting better at replicating it. i can replicate it without fail if i take my foot off the gas, lets say around 25mph, and coast... when it gets to 17 mph, there is a clunk, clunk on the right front side. for our car no turning is necessary, but it does happen when turning as well.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Interesting....How loud is it? I would say with the radio on and the standard level i might not be able to hear it. Has it gotten louder over time?
Do you approximately what # build yours is. Mine is around 6,000.

·
Registered
61 Posts
it hasnt gotten any louder. we hear it all the time, with radio around 12 or so. but i would not call it loud. the first time it happened seemed the loudest. now it is more like background noise. the loudness is not what makes it worrisome (if that makes sense). the loudness of it kinda fits in with the engine noise level. What makes it worrisome is the clunking. anyone would think something is not right with any machine that clunks like this.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.