Subaru Ascent Forum banner
81 - 100 of 157 Posts
I'm really pissed the upper small screen is nothing more than a microwave oven clock with outdoor temperature on the Premium model. Nothing nowhere says that. I only test drove a touring as no Premiums were in stock at the time I visited. My 2015 Forester Premium had all sorts of graphics and info there and I see the Limited and Touring do too. I think it was pretty skin flint to eliminate what is essentially a safety feature as it provides all sorts of status on safety devices built into the car.

The 'way back' light is mounted mere inches along driver side, rendering it pretty much useless. Now I gotta modify and cut holes for lights to mount where they should have from the get-go.

The hood holder-upper arm. How cheap is that?! Again, my 2015 Forester has gas arms to hold up the hood. This Ascent is the new flagship of the Subaru line. At near $50K, it's stupid that it doesn't have a way to raise the hood with one hand. Fortunately found a thread and parts kit to install for under $30.

There are more things, but those are top three. Like the fur-shirt battery. Again; the biggest, most electric-heavy vehicle Subaru makes and they put in this thing? Replaced mine on a Christmas sale Bosch AGM. Rear wheel well liners made of fur-like material that holds onto ice. Weak back-up/reverse lights. Wimpy volume horn. Wifi won't connect to my house router because I don't use a password. World's crappiest halogen head light bulbs. Thank God there's an unlimited number of bulbs on Amazon to chose from. Front license plate mounting options.

But all those are minor compared to it's qualities.
This is why I chose the Limited. It is, by far, the best trim choice IMO. There’s a lot of crap on the Touring I didn’t want (including being forced into the brown leather, top-heavy moonroof that I’d never use and awful stock stereo). I did a LOT of pre-sales research and the Limited has the best bits (Leather, LED headlights is an absolute must (love em), electronics etc).

There is a thread on how to install your own front and or rear camera.
Thanks. If I were to install a front camera on my premium the display would have to be more oem looking than anything I’ve seen yet.

This is why I chose the Limited. It is, by far, the best trim choice IMO. There’s a lot of crap on the Touring I didn’t want (including being forced into the brown leather, top-heavy moonroof that I’d never use and awful stock stereo). I did a LOT of pre-sales research and the Limited has the best bits (Leather, LED headlights is an absolute must (love em), electronics etc).
It certainly was the best choice for you, but it's a pretty subjective thing. The Limited, while very nicely equipped was not going to meet my personal needs. The Touring checked all the boxes of my requirements and while it meant being in a brown interior for another 7 years (similar color in my previous vehicle), I could live with it. At least it wasn't black seating. I HATE black seating...and would have had to buy a different vehicle. ;) Subjective, right? ;)

Reactions: carlover01
Getting a light colored upholstery was a big selling point for me. Light AND not leather. So the premium was the only version that offered that while also having seven passenger seating.

And while were at it, bitching that is, what the heck is up with that carpeting?? I sure hope someone comes up with aftermarket REAL carpet, not this felt, cheap looking and feeling stuff. Seems like it's gonna wear itself bald on high traffic areas before long.

I am pretty sure that's not your problem.

Please have them check the battery itself for a dead cell.

I have left mine open (original non-LED bulbs) for over 12 hours without issue. I've left my map lights on for as long or longer as well. I am not the only one who's done so.

Also, you can get aftermarket or OEM LED bulbs that drain far less power, allowing you even more time.

Camping. Bought vehicle and rear tent attachment for camping (the rear is wide enough to fit almost a queen airbed). Could not turn off the dash warning light and it drained our battery to dead in a day and a half. Long discussions with Subaru. They "cannot" fix it. Crazy. Multiple reports.

I got the same message on other earlier ( Non-Reply) Forum... Pertaining to my hood vibrates drivers side 1/4” and reflection is like a strobe in head winds on my 2020 Touring. Driving in side winds hard to stay straight with eyesight on constant heads up alarms on hud. Wears you out on a long drive. Thinking the new Highlander would be better...

I got the same message on other earlier ( Non-Reply) Forum... Pertaining to my hood vibrates drivers side 1/4” and reflection is like a strobe in head winds on my 2020 Touring. Driving in side winds hard to stay straight with eyesight on constant heads up alarms on hud. Wears you out on a long drive. Thinking the new Highlander would be better...
Have you taken it in to get this hood flex fixed? It's not normal behavior. And I've not had that issue with driving in winds with mine.

I took it to the dealership 5 days after I purchased this vehicle complaining about it. They adjusted two front hood pads and said it would take care of it. The next windy day, nothing changed. I called the dealership and they said they spoke with the factory. The reply, no fix... most complaints were coming from “lighter colored car owners” were complaining, the service manager told me.

What my 50 years of Mechanical Engineering tells me, esthetic design drove their engineering not functionality. Most Midwest states have high winds. Two lane Semi’s passing you in the opposite direction, it’s violent hood movement. When driving the interstate at 75 mph and add a head wind gust at 35-45 the turbo scoop intake under hood can compress air creating pressures that causes the hood to float at the weakest connection, the scissor hinges the hood is attached. The flex boot at the heat exchanger is not ridged, so you have a floating hood. In the past, a hood scoop was located on top used so the surface area was small. This design it’s a long tunnel under the skin acting like a wing.

Subaru underestimated this potential Safety Issue long term. So 2019 and 2020 models have this problem. Until someone gets killed, they won’t fix it due to the cost of a recall...

Not what Subaru was built on SAFETY in the past.

Subaru underestimated this potential Safety Issue long term. So 2019 and 2020 models have this problem. Until someone gets killed, they won’t fix it due to the cost of a recall...

Not what Subaru was built on SAFETY in the past.
That's an odd and highly unsupportable position. Subaru has, to this day, a track record of fixing things, even without any injuries having occurred.

One such example is the Niles brake switches that affected 36 Subaru owners, none of which were harmed (their brake lights didn't always come on instantly). They decided to replace all 2.4 million Niles switches, even when other car brands using the same switches continue to ignore the potential safety concern.

As for the hood flex/ripple, while it's an odd occurrence, so far, even those of us over the 50,000 mile mark (including some cars used as transport cars that have broken 100,000 miles) have not experienced anything beyond the ripple in cross winds at high speed. Our hoods do it no more and no less than on day one.

IF it turns out to be an actual issue, I fully expect Subaru will address it, the moment they have a solution.

Yeah. Reported hood flex is not normal or OK. Mine is totally solid at all speeds and in high gusty crosswinds, as it should be.
Can you share pics of the underside where the frame meets the top skin?

Well I’m stuck with a dealership that can’t fix what they should on a flagship vehicle. Where is the factory?
Indiana.

Have you written Subaru of America?

The adhesive is a tough resilient foam. I would argue that if these are missing, significantly smaller, or debonded from either the skin or brace, it's a manufacturing flaw and a good case for a warranty claim. I would bet if you looked under the hood of new Ascents on the dealer's lot, these would be evident and their absence conspicuous looking under your hood.

Regarding the hood vibration, this thread finally motivated me to investigate my 2019 Premium as I've noticed it as well. I had to open up some covers, but I did discover that some of the adhesive has failed. I tried taking photos of the failed spots I could see, but what's really obvious to the naked eye doesn't show up well in a photo.

The first photo shows the approximate location of the failures I could see.

The next one is the point closest to the front of the car. I can slip a business card between the skin and the support. Pretty clearly a failed joint.

The one toward the back of the engine compartment looks more like the adhesive never actually stuck. There's just a thin string connecting the support to the skin. Again, except for the thin string, I can put a business card between the strut and skin. Doesn't really show on the photo.

Looks like another item to note for the next service call.

81 - 100 of 157 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.