Subaru Ascent Forum banner
61 - 80 of 157 Posts
I am going to try this out tomorrow! THANK YOU! This has been a regular annoyance of mine, every single day. I want to set myself at 7 or 8 over the limit, not 10. It may just be superstition, but my dad ingrained in me that 10 miles over you are more likely to get a ticket. So I have been trying to trick the system by getting to exactly where I want and setting it, but it often misses a bit, then I am turning it on and off, trying to coast down a bit and get it just right, etc. It always bothered me. If your advice works I can take it off my list!
Well... that definitely works. It feels like it was designed backward, though. It seems like a quick tap should raise/lower by 1, and a long hold would do by 5 or just move faster, like every other item I have with buttons (alarm clocks, thermostats, etc.).
Anyway, this is one annoyance that is significantly LESS annoying, thanks to your kind assistance! Thank you!

Well... that definitely works. It feels like it was designed backward, though. It seems like a quick tap should raise/lower by 1, and a long hold would do by 5 or just move faster, like every other item I have with buttons (alarm clocks, thermostats, etc.).
Anyway, this is one annoyance that is significantly LESS annoying, thanks to your kind assistance! Thank you!

I agree. Like, I said, this felt wonky to me at the beginning, but I've since gotten used to it.

What is interesting is that there are several aftermarket head units (Alpine, Pioneer...) that offer AA and CP through a wireless connection. Sometimes I think that the auto manufacturers are looking to the wrong area for help. I don't know why they are not partnering with companies like Alpine to handle their infotainment and controls...it is what they do. In an ideal world, the cars will have wireless charging and wireless AA and CP.

I know that more vehicles have wireless charging available, but if you still need a cable connected for AA or CP, then the benefit of wireless charging for the driver is almost pointless.
They do partner with those electronics companies for OEM manufacture of these units, but my guess is cost/profit and "design integration" by carmakers hampers the ability of the OEMs to provide the best/newest components and features.

CarPlay is semi-brain damaged in its implementation, the in-car display is a H.264 MPEG-4 video stream from the phone, so it needs maximal bandwidth. Had they used an actual screen-sharing protocol (like RDP on Windows), they would have greatly cut the bandwidth required and made it potentially usable via Bluetooth but definitely via 802.11 wifi without 5Ghz.

The downside of a display protocol vs. streaming is a more complex comms protocol between head unit and phone and a greater chance that updates to phone or head unit would break the protocol, plus more complexity required of head unit software/capabilities they may not have.

IMHO, the ideal/dream situation is that carmakers generally standardize on a head unit/car communications protocol and set of form factors. No more carmaker specific head units with proprietary vehicle integrations, vehicle specific stuff is handled by standardized comms protocols which pass menu structures and data to the head unit. This makes head units user-replaceable and a purchase-time decision by buyers, who can pick any standards-compliant head unit. Factory can offer basic units that meet standards and allow for all vehicle features, but dealers and the aftermarket could provide superior units with zero loss of functionality and complete vehicle integration.

I thought the same thing at first also
BUT now I see the value. When cruising along and the speed limit changes it's 2-3 bumps on the adjuster and done. most of the time I don't even have to look down

1) The passenger seat under-impresses. My wife doesn't drive much anymore - but we go lots of places together. I opted for the limited trim thinking that the seats would be better. The seat is too low, the power adjustments are too limited. Really wanted to be able to adjust the seat height. Highlander seats were much more comfortable.

2) Odd tire road noise seems to creep into the cabin.

3) Not a problem with the car, but I wish I could have got a 360 camera without stepping up to the Touring.

I'm in a bit of post-buyers funk. I decided on the Ascent after test driving several vehicles. Wonder if I made the right decision,,,,, Oh well. Not sure I love my Ascent yet. If it performs as well as my Forester, I'll be happy.

Not a problem with the car, but I wish I could have got a 360 camera without stepping up to the Touring.
I have a touring, but no 360 degree camera. I have the rear camera, front camera, and rear view mirror camera, but there is no 360* coverage.

My 3 items:
1) arm rests - there aren't any. What is there is stylish and looks good, but for long trips does not work well.
2) Telescoping steering wheel - it needs to come out another 2 inches.
3) The center console cup holders need to hold onto the cups better. Everything I've put in there just flops around and is not held in position.

I really like how the car handles! I do not drive it like a sports car, but it really feels "planted".

FYI side mirrors in the 2019 Forester Touring tilt downward automatically. I’m expecting this to be in the 2020 model Touring trims.

I can't speak to the Ascent, but yeah, I'd like the wheel to come out another 2 inches or so in the Forester, too.

1) My hood vibrates too much it looks like it will fly off. Speed limit here is 70.

2) Rear cargo light should of been on top not side blocked when full of cargo.

3) Radio volume display is a nuisance more than a help especially when using navigation.

3.5) Sorry had to squeeze this in, 19 cups holders but the one in the console I need the most should have an adjustable padding like Dodge Caravan so drinks stay put and not spell all over.

1) My hood vibrates too much it looks like it will fly off. Speed limit here is 70.

2) Rear cargo light should of been on top not side blocked when full of cargo.

3) Radio volume display is a nuisance more than a help especially when using navigation.

3.5) Sorry had to squeeze this in, 19 cups holders but the one in the console I need the most should have an adjustable padding like Dodge Caravan so drinks stay put and not spell all over.

1. The radio displaying the volume level. When I am listening to a song it is fairly loud, then I want to change the channel so I turn the volume down and try a different channel. BUT the volume level screen comes up and delays you from channel changing. Its just a second maybe two but it drives me crazy!

2. Cheap felt instead of carpet on the floor. Might as well have been vinyl or rubber, would not look any cheaper.

3. When you stop and get out and try to open the rear door to get your package out of the back seat the door is still locked. You have to unlock with the switch on the door or fumble for your key.
#3 could be seen as a safety feature. In a big parking lot, or when filling with gas, automatically unlocking all 4 doors when you put it in park opens the possibility that a stranger could enter any door. The current setting allows you to control when to unlock. A similar setting can be activated that only unlocks/opens the driver's door when you approach from the outside. It keeps the other doors safe.

1. Right now this is my biggest criticism. I'd like a 12V and 2 USB inside the center console storage compartment for all the little things I'd like permanently connected but out of the way. I'd also like the center dash cubby (where the 12V is now) to be bigger -- about 25% wider, 50% deeper and twice as tall so my phone could slot nearly completely in.

Some of the cell phone storage could be mitigated if we had a USB port on the left side of the dash where the shelf is. Seems kind of ideal for a phone, but with no USB jack nearby you've got no way to plug it in.

Maybe a USB port near the rear view mirror/cabin light area would be nice, too, for plugging in dash cams mounted to the sun visors.

2. No keyless entry/locking on the rear doors. My last car, a 2007 Volvo, did this. I could just open the rear doors when locked and then close and lock them on the door handle without a key or switching to the front doors.

3. Stop EyeSight from taking over the center dash top display when on cruise control. That display is nearly worthless from an information perspective (it doesn't even indicate your distance setting). A related center dash display gripe is the "favorites" option has a widget for oil pressure, but not one for coolant temperature or battery voltage.
#3. If you touch the 'up arrow' button near the display, it reverts back to the display you want.

1. The volume of the ringer when there is an incoming call is way louder than the volume set for the music I am listening to. On my Tahoe it was the same volume as the music. I like my music loud, so the phone ring startles me every time
2. I wish the wheel could tilt down more
3. I wish the drivers seat could be lowered a bit more
Bonus : I wish the heated seat on level three was not molten lava

(1) No Hands free on rear doors. I have a 2013 Ford and 2017 Chevrolet and they both have it and was surprised that a car advertising it didnt have it on the rear doors. How about power windows only on the front doors? Truth in advertising?

(2) Volume indicator that takes over the entire screen where you end up just staring at it is truly annoying and colors the perception of the whole interface.

(3) Lack of any front camera or sensor at the Limited Tier. Should be something to indicate that you are going to hit something given the size of the vehicle.

I'm more thankful for everything the Ascent has to offer (even the cupholders) every time I drive another vehicle . I have a rental Sentra right now and its such garbage! Every little thing that was thought out in the Ascent seems to have just been slapped together in the Sentra. Everything from the door handles that don't open from the inside when the engine is running and outside handles not unlocking it when the fob is in the pocket, to the infotainment system not having the buttons needed to be usable.
So there are still a few things I'd still like to see changed on the Ascent but its really good the way it is!
  1. Volume display when changing volume
  2. Front camera or beeping option for lower trims
  3. That pesky rear liftgate battery drain

At 13K miles now after getting back from my third round trip to Florida and back, not much has changed for me...very, very little to complain about. I remain annoyed that the steering wheel heater doesn't warm the top third of the wheel...even though I understand the possible motivation, the very act of driving around corners and turns and while parking means a sudden shock of cold. (I use the wheel heater even during warmer times as it helps ease pain in my hands) It would be nice if the remote start also included the ability to turn on the wheel heater, too. The only other thing that's niggling is the lack of an audible warning in the blind spot system. It would be especially helpful during daylight driving on the highway when the light indicator is less likely to catch one's eye. My previous vehicle had the audible warning and it saved my bacon many times during "commutes" between PA and DC when idiot drivers were criss-crossing multiple lanes at very high speed and were almost impossible to detect visually.

No other complaints at all from me at this point. I love the vehicle.

3. Stop EyeSight from taking over the center dash top display when on cruise control. That display is nearly worthless from an information perspective (it doesn't even indicate your distance setting)
My wifes 2020 ascent touring lets us change the top center display while in cruise control, she just hits the up or down arrows to pick the screen. Just tested it out

My wifes 2020 ascent touring lets us change the top center display while in cruise control, she just hits the up or down arrows to pick the screen. Just tested it out
That works on 2019, too. You can view the screens, but I don't believe you can change settings while moving.

Reactions: Robert.Mauro
I'm really pissed the upper small screen is nothing more than a microwave oven clock with outdoor temperature on the Premium model. Nothing nowhere says that. I only test drove a touring as no Premiums were in stock at the time I visited. My 2015 Forester Premium had all sorts of graphics and info there and I see the Limited and Touring do too. I think it was pretty skin flint to eliminate what is essentially a safety feature as it provides all sorts of status on safety devices built into the car.

The 'way back' light is mounted mere inches along driver side, rendering it pretty much useless. Now I gotta modify and cut holes for lights to mount where they should have from the get-go.

The hood holder-upper arm. How cheap is that?! Again, my 2015 Forester has gas arms to hold up the hood. This Ascent is the new flagship of the Subaru line. At near $50K, it's stupid that it doesn't have a way to raise the hood with one hand. Fortunately found a thread and parts kit to install for under $30.

There are more things, but those are top three. Like the fur-shirt battery. Again; the biggest, most electric-heavy vehicle Subaru makes and they put in this thing? Replaced mine on a Christmas sale Bosch AGM. Rear wheel well liners made of fur-like material that holds onto ice. Weak back-up/reverse lights. Wimpy volume horn. Wifi won't connect to my house router because I don't use a password. World's crappiest halogen head light bulbs. Thank God there's an unlimited number of bulbs on Amazon to chose from. Front license plate mounting options.

But all those are minor compared to it's qualities.

I'm really pissed the upper small screen is nothing more than a microwave oven clock with outdoor temperature on the Premium model. Nothing nowhere says that. I only test drove a touring as no Premiums were in stock at the time I visited. My 2015 Forester Premium had all sorts of graphics and info there and I see the Limited and Touring do too. I think it was pretty skin flint to eliminate what is essentially a safety feature as it provides all sorts of status on safety devices built into the car.

The 'way back' light is mounted mere inches along driver side, rendering it pretty much useless. Now I gotta modify and cut holes for lights to mount where they should have from the get-go.

The hood holder-upper arm. How cheap is that?! Again, my 2015 Forester has gas arms to hold up the hood. This Ascent is the new flagship of the Subaru line. At near $50K, it's stupid that it doesn't have a way to raise the hood with one hand. Fortunately found a thread and parts kit to install for under $30.

There are more things, but those are top three. Like the fur-shirt battery. Again; the biggest, most electric-heavy vehicle Subaru makes and they put in this thing? Replaced mine on a Christmas sale Bosch AGM. Rear wheel well liners made of fur-like material that holds onto ice. Weak back-up/reverse lights. Wimpy volume horn. Wifi won't connect to my house router because I don't use a password. World's crappiest halogen head light bulbs. Thank God there's an unlimited number of bulbs on Amazon to chose from. Front license plate mounting options.

But all those are minor compared to it's qualities.
Sounds like you're racking up a fun to-do list! I do wish there was a way to upgrade that upper display on the Premium model. I don't feel like I'm necessarily missing out not having it, but it does provide some good data. My pockets aren't deep enough at the moment for that fancy Touring model; its front camera is probably the best feature included in that display imho. I feel like I got a good bit for my $30k Premium. Horn and headlights were changed early on. Dealership has fun with my horn in their garage now :ROFLMAO:

Sounds like you're racking up a fun to-do list! I do wish there was a way to upgrade that upper display on the Premium model. I don't feel like I'm necessarily missing out not having it, but it does provide some good data. My pockets aren't deep enough at the moment for that fancy Touring model; its front camera is probably the best feature included in that display imho. I feel like I got a good bit for my $30k Premium. Horn and headlights were changed early on. Dealership has fun with my horn in their garage now :ROFLMAO:
There is a thread on how to install your own front and or rear camera. I suggest you save funds for that to happen and if you still want it then, give yourself the treat

61 - 80 of 157 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.