Subaru Ascent Forum banner
41 - 60 of 157 Posts
I am pretty sure that's not your problem.

My deal breaker would have been the back hatch. Don't get an Ascent if you have dogs! You can't leave the back hatch open for any appreciable time without draining the battery. Mine is in the shop right now, where the Tech guys are trying to figure out a way around it. I just made a >$40,000 mistake!
Please have them check the battery itself for a dead cell.

I have left mine open (original non-LED bulbs) for over 12 hours without issue. I've left my map lights on for as long or longer as well. I am not the only one who's done so.

Also, you can get aftermarket or OEM LED bulbs that drain far less power, allowing you even more time.

I've owned the car for a total of 4 days so far, here are my gripes:

- Side mirrors don't adjust down when you put it in reverse (my lexus and infiniti does this), and its nice knowing and seeing where the curb is at when you park

- Memory seat positions doesn't save my mirror positions

- Transmission and shifting is funky. Off the line, it feels like there's turbo lag half the time and once you get going, if you don't apply the proper throttle, it feels like it falls flat on its face

- The soft bolsters (sides and butt portion) of the seats. After the first day, the "leather" looks like its warping/stretching causing wrinkles

- The radio read out showing how loud or quiet your volume is. I don't need to see a stupid number.

- Wish there was a beefier tire/wheel option like the Toyota 4 runner instead of these 20" street wheels/tires that come on the touring

One Solution For You...

- Transmission and shifting is funky. Off the line, it feels like there's turbo lag half the time and once you get going, if you don't apply the proper throttle, it feels like it falls flat on its face
Ask your dealer to evaluate if your issues with this are addressed by an ECM update.

Just 1 thing

Love my Ascent, but this one thing has annoyed me so many times. I like to drive with music on and when the weather is nice, the windows down. That means the volume is usually up around 15-20 when I park. The next morning when I start it with the kids in the car the volume is still at the same level and won't even let me adjust it until its finished booting up. All I want to do is turn the volume down. I suppose I could re-train myself to do so before I get out, but this is the first car I've had that has to wait to adjust the volume so its not easy to reprogram 20 years of driving habits.
I despise comparing to chevy or hyundai but my old cruze had a setting for max startup volume and the santa fe was adjustable as soon as it comes on. We need more settings!

1. CVT/engine combination gets wonky in certain situations, like pulling neighborhood hills at 25 mph, engine spun up to a silly rpm.

2. Engine toggles between underpowered sewing-machine-mode and turbo-power-roar-mode. Neither of which feel refined. I would have loved to have the H6 from the Outback in the Ascent, with its smoother and more linear torque curve.

3. At 4500 miles and one oil change, still getting 10% worse milage than we get on our 6 cylinder Outback, same drivers, same roads driven.

Okay, I am a bit neurotic about such things, but I have been collecting my thoughts on the Ascent. It's a long list. I do enjoy the car, but it definitely has plenty of faults. If this list being much longer than 3 items violates some rule, please delete my post. And yes, some of the items I did not realized until I was reading things here over the past 4 months, so i do not claim they are original thoughts. I mainly keep this so when I begin shopping to replace our OTHER car in a few years, I'll be really able to evaluate between vehicles better.

Subaru Ascent thoughts:
-Side mirrors do not adjust to seat memory setting
-side mirrors do not auto-fold away when parked
-Audio system does not adjust to ambient noise or road noise increases
-road noise is higher than expected from highest end trimline of an expensive vehicle
-No way to turn on all interior lights without opening doors (like a button)
-Driver’s seat adjustment, the front of the seat does not lift up far enough to get fully comfortable support under the upper legs
-remote start features do not include heating steering wheel
-Cruise control increase/decrease uses only 5 mile increments. Should have a user setting to decide increments, as many people drive 9 above or 4 above.
-Android Auto requires usb-C cable, cannot use bluetooth
-The distance-til-empty calculation is wildly inaccurate and only seems to update by increments of 10 miles
-center-upper display uses widgets, but the widget selection is poor. Would be nice to have speed-limit (when available), current speed, and a split square of current MPG and average MPG
-Turning on cruise takes over the mid-upper display. Why? I do not want that, ever. I picked what I was viewing on that screen for a reason, please do not override my preferences.
-storage space in back is poorly lit
-front middle cupholders are really wide, letting cups and bottles tip over and fall out
-driver’s door cupholders, one is useful, one too small, and one has door trim blocking it so you cannot really use it except for something small (a standard 12 oz water bottle will not fit, maybe a skinny red bull can might?)
-Using volume controls blocks access to main screen for several seconds, which is annoying
-There is no park-assist feature
-3rd-row headrests are either all the way up, or all the way down, which doesn’t fit every size person well. Could they get notches on the pole to work like other cars?
-satellite radio antenna is ugly, doesn’t match, may interfere with some roof use, and nobody asked if we wanted it added. Is it removable?
-If I turn off the lane warnings (so many bad lines and such in my area, the thing is always alerting or shutting off anyway), I get a very bright orange light constantly on. Let it be dimmer or make it go away after I drive a few miles. I don’t need a constant orange warning light reminding me that the car is not going to annoy me for poorly marked roads.
-The all weather mats are not good. They do not cover the area under the gas pedal and they do not trap water from snow melt.
-Floor carpet seems cheap and low quality
-chrome vent trim reflects in windows all the time, is distracting
-when driving slow, or soon after leaving home, the transmission is bumpy and goofy. Overall it seems to go from too-low to too-high and engine noise makes it seem like I just shifted from 5th to 2nd on a hill. Can this just be smooth and adjust evenly?
-mileage is nowhere near what was reported
-Road noise is quite high for having the highest trim model
-Does the radio have to turn on every single time I start the car? I am capable of turning it on when I want it.
-I am annoyed that a satellite antenna was automatically installed. It is not body color, it is an ugly shark fin eyesore, and it may interfere with transporting things on the roof. I should have had the option to have it or not as my own choice. I have zero interest in satellite radio and find it to be an overpriced awful product.
-no 12V in the middle row.
-Passenger in front cannot type for directions and such while vehicle is moving. This makes the built-in maps tool useless. When we travel I am the pilot and my wife (or oldest son) is the navigator.
-My rear gate has a wider gap on the right than on the left. OCD me is sad.
-When on, the venting feature in the front seats is REALLY loud
-When you remote-start, there does not seem to be a way to NOT use AC/Heat.
-Remote start app is really bad. Those features should be on one screen and access should be 2-3 clicks. No need for “delay” to have it’s own click-through screen.

-Cruise control increase/decrease uses only 5 mile increments. Should have a user setting to decide increments, as many people drive 9 above or 4 above.

Just want to point out that this is actually inaccurate. You can adjust in single MPH increments with a long press. I thought it was wonky at first, but like others I have learned very quickly to like it in actual use.

-Android Auto requires usb-C cable, cannot use bluetooth
This is pretty normal for AndroidAuto and Apple CarPlay...very, very few vehicles have the feature available wireless at this point. It was developed as a wired technology and wireless support requires a difficult to achieve speed/throughput to avoid very noticeable delays between the device and the head unit. I do agree that wireless is more desirable, but then again, wired also keeps the device charged since wireless charging is still less common than it will eventually be. I do believe that "AA" and "CP" will get get there relative to wireless support as Bluetooth and other nearfield communications standards improve.

This is pretty normal for AndroidAuto and Apple CarPlay...very, very few vehicles have the feature available wireless at this point. It was developed as a wired technology and wireless support requires a difficult to achieve speed/throughput to avoid very noticeable delays between the device and the head unit. I do agree that wireless is more desirable, but then again, wired also keeps the device charged since wireless charging is still less common than it will eventually be. I do believe that "AA" and "CP" will get get there relative to wireless support as Bluetooth and other nearfield communications standards improve.
What is interesting is that there are several aftermarket head units (Alpine, Pioneer...) that offer AA and CP through a wireless connection. Sometimes I think that the auto manufacturers are looking to the wrong area for help. I don't know why they are not partnering with companies like Alpine to handle their infotainment and controls...it is what they do. In an ideal world, the cars will have wireless charging and wireless AA and CP.

I know that more vehicles have wireless charging available, but if you still need a cable connected for AA or CP, then the benefit of wireless charging for the driver is almost pointless.

What is interesting is that there are several aftermarket head units (Alpine, Pioneer...) that offer AA and CP through a wireless connection. Sometimes I think that the auto manufacturers are looking to the wrong area for help. I don't know why they are not partnering with companies like Alpine to handle their infotainment and controls...it is what they do. In an ideal world, the cars will have wireless charging and wireless AA and CP.

I know that more vehicles have wireless charging available, but if you still need a cable connected for AA or CP, then the benefit of wireless charging for the driver is almost pointless.
Yes, that feature has begun to trickle out. But I have to note that the car manufacturers do partner with companies like Alpine, Harmon, Panasonic, Pioneer, etc., as those are the firms that actually manufacturer the head units. If you pull one, most likely you'll see "a name" on the label somewhere on the back, bottom, top or sides of the unit.

Like I said, I do believe that wireless implementations of AA and CP will become more ubiquitous in the coming years and that will match up nicely with wireless charging as you mention. I'm "doing the dance" right now planning for a phone mount for my new Ascent so I have what I need when the vehicle arrives and it would have been nice to be able to use a cradle with wireless charging like I do at bed-side for my iPhone XS Max...but that's not going to work because I do intend to use CarPlay.

Reactions: Dandy
Just want to point out that this is actually inaccurate. You can adjust in single MPH increments with a long press. I thought it was wonky at first, but like others I have learned very quickly to like it in actual use.
I am going to try this out tomorrow! THANK YOU! This has been a regular annoyance of mine, every single day. I want to set myself at 7 or 8 over the limit, not 10. It may just be superstition, but my dad ingrained in me that 10 miles over you are more likely to get a ticket. So I have been trying to trick the system by getting to exactly where I want and setting it, but it often misses a bit, then I am turning it on and off, trying to coast down a bit and get it just right, etc. It always bothered me. If your advice works I can take it off my list!

I know that it may not be available in most vehicles (or any?), but since both have wifi (and bluetooth as you mentioned), it seems like it should be feasible. Wifi bandwidth is huge. I have a wireless charging cradle mounted and do not need a cable for charging, so I'd be happier without a cable being necessary for Android Auto, which is essentially a requirement for navigation since the built-in one sucks hard.

3 days in the shop and no answers!

It's not the trunk light. The hatch drains over 4 amps when open no matter what you do. There are sensors all around the hatch to stop the movement if something is in the way like a kid or dog or package. You can't trick the hatch either so it thinks its closed by putting something in the lock latch. I can't believe no one else has this problem or finds this a real problem!

This one is huge! I like to have the top dash display showing mpg and miles to empty (or whatever I choose), and every time I engage cruise control, the display shifts to the useless (zero info) graphic. I can understand features that some customers like and others don't, but this one is just a human factors mistake.
Guys you do know that once the display changes after turning cruise control ON you can manually change what is displayed with the UP and DOWN buttons right?

I know that it may not be available in most vehicles (or any?), but since both have wifi (and bluetooth as you mentioned), it seems like it should be feasible. Wifi bandwidth is huge. I have a wireless charging cradle mounted and do not need a cable for charging, so I'd be happier without a cable being necessary for Android Auto, which is essentially a requirement for navigation since the built-in one sucks hard.
The issue is latency. Wifi is probably a non-factor since it's not something supported by either AA or CP, AFAIK. Bluetooth itself in the most recent generation is barely able to keep up with the screen mirroring, etc., but it depends upon the implementation. Look, I'm "on your side here"...I'd very much like AA and CP to be functional via wireless connection so having that on the "things I don't like" list is very appropriate. Maybe in a few years it will be a lot more available.

1. MPG is in the single digits when light towing, barely hill climbing, or just lightly accelerating with faux shifting in play. The efficiency of the power train is hampered by a transmission with multipersonality disorder.

2. Faux shifting should not be standard, only for paddle shift-enabled trims. Let the reviewers have faux shifting if they want it so bad but don't put it on those who have to pay for it's inefficiency every day.

3. Badly placed cargo light and air intake, both should always be in ceiling. Breathing exhaust fumes and poor lighting are both bad for your health.

This one is huge! I like to have the top dash display showing mpg and miles to empty (or whatever I choose), and every time I engage cruise control, the display shifts to the useless (zero info) graphic. I can understand features that some customers like and others don't, but this one is just a human factors mistake.
Guys you do know that once the display changes after turning cruise control ON you can manually change what is displayed with the UP and DOWN buttons right?
Yes, got that. So why force me into a screen that I didn't ask for? Why force me to reach up and hit an arrow just because I turned on ACC? That's my complaint. Not a hard button to hit, but someone either made a workflow mistake or hugely exaggerated the value of the "car graphic" screen.

Plus, ideally, I'd like to keep my eyes on the road.

And my hands upon the wheel!

Gonna have a real. Good-time!

(Sorry just had to do that.)

1. Side mirrors not changing with memory seating.

2. Asked technicians about this one - Ever figured out how to open the rear hatch if your battery is completely dead? Had a dead battery in our Buick Encore and I thought my jumper cables were in the small storage area just inside hatch/rear cargo dept. Fortunately the cables were in my other car. I checked with Buick, Toyota, and Subaru techs (we just traded in our Encore for an Ascent a week ago) and all said there is no way to open the rear hatch without battery power. This is significant for us because my wife has an electric wheelchair and I have to be able to open the hatch to get it out of the car.

3. Is there a way to turn off the sound when navigation is engaged?

Ask about an ECM update...

1. MPG is in the single digits when light towing, barely hill climbing, or just lightly accelerating with faux shifting in play. The efficiency of the power train is hampered by a transmission with multipersonality disorder.

How many miles do you have? I've not experienced this, nor has Kevin or the other heavy towers. If you are experiencing this after the break in period (hope you didn't tow during the break-in period), then I'd go in and ask them if there's an ECM update that will help with the way the engine and CVT respond.

Unrelated to towing, there have been a few people who've reported that the engine and CVT do odd things (lugging, lagging, seeming to be in the wrong gear), and an ECM update has fixed that for them. I would imagine that if your car was similarly affected, it might affect your gas mileage while towing as well, especially since managing the CVT ratio is critically important to good gas mileage while towing - more so than during normal driving.

2. Faux shifting should not be standard, only for paddle shift-enabled trims. Let the reviewers have faux shifting if they want it so bad but don't put it on those who have to pay for it's inefficiency every day.

3. Badly placed cargo light
Make sure you email them about those two.

41 - 60 of 157 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.