Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone topped their Ascent out yet? I was on the way home last night with no wife or kids in the car and decided to see what it would do on the an empty rural road. I had it to 120 before I ran out of room, it climbs pretty slowly up that high but I think this thing would probably do 130 with enough space to get there. Also it felt pretty loose at those speeds, so be careful.

·
Banned
145 Posts
Please don't do this with stock tires. You are risking a serous accident. The tires are 245/50r20. The R means the safe maximum speed is 106 for less then 10 minutes. After ten minutes the tire will start to overheat and the structure will start to fail ultimately leading to extra wear and possible explosion. At 120, the tires will start to take permanent damage at just a few seconds under some circumstances(ie hot day, track debris, bad alignment). At no point do you want to take a r rated tire, or any tire unless it has a H on it, up to 130. At that speed, you need an H rated tire and you will need to make sure the H has a ply cap on it (no cheap chinese tires). With out that cap, you are looking at a complete blowout. Please only do this on the track or dyno. No emergency crew needs to help scrap your dead body off the ground because of this. It really does give them nightmares.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=lvVf8UZJCrU

·
Registered
224 Posts
Please don't do this with stock tires. You are risking a serous accident. The tires are 245/50r20. The R means the safe maximum speed is 106 for less then 10 minutes. After ten minutes the tire will start to overheat and the structure will start to fail ultimately leading to extra wear and possible explosion. At 120, the tires will start to take permanent damage at just a few seconds under some circumstances(ie hot day, track debris, bad alignment). At no point do you want to take a r rated tire, or any tire unless it has a H on it, up to 130. At that speed, you need an H rated tire and you will need to make sure the H has a ply cap on it (no cheap chinese tires). With out that cap, you are looking at a complete blowout. Please only do this on the track or dyno. No emergency crew needs to help scrap your dead body off the ground because of this. It really does give them nightmares.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=lvVf8UZJCrU
The "R" in the tire size is not the speed rating of the tire. The OEM 245/50R20 Falken Ziex ZE001 A/S tires have a 102 load rating (1874 lb) and are H speed rated (130 MPH).

Tire Rack 2019 Ascent OEM Tires

·
Registered
646 Posts
Has anyone topped their Ascent out yet? I was on the way home last night with no wife or kids in the car and decided to see what it would do on the an empty rural road. I had it to 120 before I ran out of room, it climbs pretty slowly up that high but I think this thing would probably do 130 with enough space to get there. Also it felt pretty loose at those speeds, so be careful.
It has the stiffest most robust structures in the business, so this looseness is due to a suspension that has been tuned for ride comfort like the Impreza due to the SGP.

·
Administrator
10,954 Posts
Wow, got that wrong. Sorry. Ignore my post.
(in this and similar cases, "R" means "Radial")

There's so many numbers and symbols all over tires nowadays, lol. It's easy to confuse them. In my efforts to find suitable all terrain tires and rims, I had to do a crash course on it all. Not fun stuff, lol! I also learned that things are rated differently in other countries that use the same rating systems as us too. Sigh.

·
Administrator
10,954 Posts
Really?

If you car blows up down the road, the internet will always know you said that.
I think you misread the rest of his statement. He waited until after break-in by several hundred miles. :tango_face_wink:

·
Registered
685 Posts
I think you misread the rest of his statement. He waited until after break-in by several hundred miles. :tango_face_wink:
I read it, but also read the OP previously stated that he WAS going to ignore the break-in. If this car actually has an issue, the water is already muddy.

I say this out of experience. I once mentioned that my 2006 turbo had some shaft play in random build post. This was BEFORE I truly understood how a thrust bearing worked. 2 years later, I had multiple sales fall through on the used unit because of the original post. If I to ever try and sell Frankie now, everyone knows I dropped a washer down #3 and didn't find that out until I tried to start it repeatedly. I was super public about it. (BTW you can have the keys to Frank when you pry the GrimmSpeed keychain from my cold dead hand)

I supposed it was a general reminder. If folks start tuning and lifting these cars. Then they start posting about the resulting issues, keep in find the dealers have a vested presence here. I bet there is already recorded data of the event and the time leading up to the speed run, stored in the ECU somewhere.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I read it, but also read the OP previously stated that he WAS going to ignore the break-in. If this car actually has an issue, the water is already muddy.

I say this out of experience. I once mentioned that my 2006 turbo had some shaft play in random build post. This was BEFORE I truly understood how a thrust bearing worked. 2 years later, I had multiple sales fall through on the used unit because of the original post. If I to ever try and sell Frankie now, everyone knows I dropped a washer down #3 and didn't find that out until I tried to start it repeatedly. I was super public about it. (BTW you can have the keys to Frank when you pry the GrimmSpeed keychain from my cold dead hand)

I supposed it was a general reminder. If folks start tuning and lifting these cars. Then they start posting about the resulting issues, keep in find the dealers have a vested presence here. I bet there is already recorded data of the event and the time leading up to the speed run, stored in the ECU somewhere.

Well that's disconcerting.

·
Registered
918 Posts
For safety theses days cars will always be speed limited to match whatever the OEM tires are rated at. So without changing tires and changing the ECU you could not exceed 130mph due to the "H" speed rating on the OEM tires.

That is over 72 billion inches/year though!

·
Registered
72 Posts
i've done 90-105 for 2-3 minutes on NY thruway. Sadly, I was passed by few more cars! :disappointed:

Averaged about 82-85Mph on a 3 hour trip.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Please don't try to find out the top speed on a rural road or even a highway, it's not worth killing yourself or anyone else, or even going to jail.

If you have to find out, there are Track Days where you can reasonably safely test your vehicles on race tracks across the country.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts