Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a year, I wanted to install the crossbars ahead of an upcoming trip. Went online and found a YouTube video on the process. The video spoke of using a tool that I understood was supplied by Subaru but I couldn't find one in the car. Can anyone enlighten me on this "tool"?
Thanks

·
Registered
852 Posts
Check in your cargo area where the tire changing tools are located.This tool should have been provided if you purchased the cross bars from Subaru,if not go to the dealer and tell them you did not receive.

Attachments

·
Registered
561 Posts
It's basically an allen wrench with a red plastic thingy on it. The red plastic thingy is a torque wrench gauge. As you tighten the allen screw, the red plastic thingy will flex. You'll see the lines on it move. I think it's calibrated for 8 ft. lbs. At least it has an 8lb written on it as I recall.

·
Registered
584 Posts
It's basically an allen wrench with a red plastic thingy on it. The red plastic thingy is a torque wrench gauge. As you tighten the allen screw, the red plastic thingy will flex. You'll see the lines on it move. I think it's calibrated for 8 ft. lbs. At least it has an 8lb written on it as I recall.
What? I thought the" red plastic thingy" was for my thumb!

·
Registered
584 Posts
Step 7 in the pdf above describes how to use it. Hopefully you didn’t bend the plastic piece with your thumb!
I keep mine in the glove box.
The salesman and I put them on during pickup. At least I noticed the small Front" printed on one of them so we got that right! I keep mine in the compartment where the jack access is. Don't ever intend to use it again since they are adjusted for my roof basket already. Tx for the info.

·
Registered
4 Posts
After a year, I wanted to install the crossbars ahead of an upcoming trip. Went online and found a YouTube video on the process. The video spoke of using a tool that I understood was supplied by Subaru but I couldn't find one in the car. Can anyone enlighten me on this "tool"?
Thanks
When I purchased my crossbars the tool was in the box the crossbars came in.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts