Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I had the outback I was unhappy with the shiny chrome around the side windows that pick up every fingerprint imaginable. I wanted to get it blacked out. Fast froward to the Ascent and I have the same issue. Way too much chrome for me. I'd grab some flat black paint but I doubt things would be that easy. Is it really chrome or it is a wrap like the chrome on the electronic brake lever? Anyone made such a mod before?

·
Registered
685 Posts
When I had the outback I was unhappy with the shiny chrome around the side windows that pick up every fingerprint imaginable. I wanted to get it blacked out. Fast froward to the Ascent and I have the same issue. Way too much chrome for me. I'd grab some flat black paint but I doubt things would be that easy. Is it really chrome or it is a wrap like the chrome on the electronic brake lever? Anyone made such a mod before?
It's actually a real copper wrap that is chromed, if it continues as all other Subaru's. I know this because I have actually tried to sand it off in prep for painting. Whatever you do, don't use dip. "Friends don't let friends use dip, on their car, or int heir lip."

You can have it blacked out by professional "vinyl wrapping" outfit, or do it yourself. Although "wraps" are not as easy as they look.

·
Administrator
10,968 Posts
I was going to have mine wrapped. Picked out the color and all, and then I got the car. I changed my mind. I thought I'd hate all that chrome, but next to the big beast, it doesn't look that bad. Pictures were not very representative to me. Even the wrap guy changed his mind when he actually saw the car and suggested against it because it's "there" but not "glaringly chrome everywhere" like it seems in the pics.

YMMV

Regardless, I agree with trail... wraps are the way to go, but it isn't the easiest wrap job, that's for sure. I do have plastidip as well (their automotive series), which was the backup method I considered. Using it for other things instead and leaving my chrome alone.

As I said, YMMV... I still consider it from time to time.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Plasti-Dip is a wonderful thing... you can cover up components with your desired color without consequence of having a permanent modification:

My Crosstrek's configuration a few years ago vs a stock Crosstrek:

http://i.imgur.com/7KXlwYJ.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/BSyMxoz.jpg

It's all completely reversible. It has a rubberized texture, but might require a bit of effort to remove.

·
Registered
685 Posts
but might require a bit of effort to remove.
I had to strip a grill that someone sent me for a mesh-mod. The "DIP" was horrible to get off, a huge mess. The WD-40 method works when all else fails. Since then I am pretty darn jaded toward the stuff.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I had to strip a grill that someone sent me for a mesh-mod. The "DIP" was horrible to get off, a huge mess. The WD-40 method works when all else fails. Since then I am pretty darn jaded toward the stuff.
Despite the struggle to remove Plasti-Dip, I would believe those willing to have a non-permanent, reversible modification such as Plasti-Dip, would consider such a trade-off a worthy one, especially considering the replacement cost of entire components for a permanent color modification of parts.

I recall my younger brother spending many dozens of minutes scraping his old gold Plasti-Dip off his Subaru Impreza's 17-inch allow wheels. Even with the inconvenience of removal effort, he was able to bring the wheels back to their original factory look.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts