Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

I've looked through past threads about tongue weight and towing, but I'm a noob and I want to be triple checked before I pull the trigger on a PUP.

The dry weight of the PUP is 2,273 lbs.

The tongue/hitch weight of the PUP is 394 lbs.

Will I be good to go if I go for it? I will be towing with the OEM Hitch on a 2021 Limited Ascent.

Thank you for your time!

·
Registered
12 Posts
You'll be fine.

Will you be climbing a lot of long hill while towing? If so, I'd recommend getting one of those BT ODBII port adapters and a phone app to read the data coming off it. I watch my transmission temperature like a hawk while towing and will slow down if the temp gets above 205F. I think the limp mode limit is 240-ish? I play it cautiously and find a nice, slow semi to draft behind.

·
Administrator
13,159 Posts
Hi! You will need a brake controller (favorites seem to be Tekonsha Prodigy P3 and Redarc TowPro Elite, but there's others that come up as well). If you can keep the weight under 5,000 pounds (I recommend under 4,250 pounds), and the tongue weight under 450 pounds, I think you'll be fine.

Aim for an 8-11% tongue weight (vs the actual weight of the trailer - remember, it's the actual loaded weight that matters). Leaning towards 11% if the tongue weight is still below 500 (recommend below 450), will be nicer, in general, for that trailer.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Hi! You will need a brake controller (favorites seem to be Tekonsha Prodigy P3 and Redarc TowPro Elite, but there's others that come up as well). If you can keep the weight under 5,000 pounds (I recommend under 4,250 pounds), and the tongue weight under 450 pounds, I think you'll be fine.

Aim for an 8-11% tongue weight (vs the actual weight of the trailer - remember, it's the actual loaded weight that matters). Leaning towards 11% if the tongue weight is still below 500 (recommend below 450), will be nicer, in general, for that trailer.
Robert, where do you set the P3 for a trailer around 4000 lbs (+ or -)? Normal or Boost 1?

·
Administrator
13,159 Posts
Robert, where do you set the P3 for a trailer around 4000 lbs (+ or -)? Normal or Boost 1?
There's no set number. I hook up, and test & calibrate each time. The number will change a little with load.

And, because your trailer brakes are different than everyone else's, the number won't be the same.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts