Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Administrator
7,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Today I have a sad and happy story for you all...

Two years ago, I told you all that Subaru of America, Inc. designed third row safety into the Ascent - even though requirements don't go into affect until 2025. You all asked for the tests. I couldn't deliver, of course, because they're internal stuff.

Well, sadly, Tom got rear ended by a Dodge RAM 1500 pickup going 45-50 mph. I'm so saddened to see Tom's Ascent totaled, and even more sad that Tom is a bit banged up from this. But, at the same time, I'm so happy to see just how well engineered the #SubaruAscent is - and it's great to see proof of their promise in action, keeping their owners safe.

For those of you who don't know, a RAM 1500 is as much as a ton heavier than the Ascent (or more). If you look at the first pic, you can see it rode over the bumper because of the height of the RAM. Even without the buffer of the bumper (the OEM hitch in this case) and frame rails, and with almost THREE TONS of RAM 1500 smashing into the Ascent and pushing the Ascent into the car in front of it, the third row is intact (see inside pics). The body and cabin alone absorbed the brunt of the impact so phenomenally well.

Wishing Tom a speedy recovery from his bumps and bruises, and hoping he gets to spend more time with his next Subie, without incident.

#Subaru #SubaruAmbassador #SubaruAmbassadorRobert #SubarusAndSafety #thirdrowcrash

So, folks, here's your real life third row test. Even with the RAM not even hitting the bumper and beastly OEM hitch, the third row is intact, other than some flexed plastic that isn't thick enough to intrude through the seat (would have been forced to flex the other way).

Attachments

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
2,144 Posts
Ditto...hoping for a fast and complete recovery for Tom. (and also the people in other involved vehicles)

Wow...that pick-em-up truck didn't come out of this very well at all compared to the Ascent! Kudos to Subaru for the excellent design on the Ascent and global platform!

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Wow.
I have so many questions but first I wish everyone a speedy recovery!
Any idea if the Ascent was stopped? Foot on brake? What did the front end run into? How about the +4 pictures...were they of the interior?

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
356 Posts
That does look like quite an event. I'm glad to hear the humans will be okay. For Dodge's part, it looks like they did their jobs, too. It looks like a lot of parts scattered from the front end of that truck, which is a great thing -- more energy dispersed into flying parts means less energy transferred into the other vehicle.

·
Administrator
7,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update: I checked in with Tom a few days ago, and he's mending nicely - still a little pain here and there. In the meantime, while he is on the mend, he's gotten his new Ascent - a brand new 2020 that's otherwise identical to his former 2019. He says he's about 99% back to normal.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Glad everyone came out ok. The Ascent indeed looks like their 3rd row engineering did the job. It’s one of the main reasons I purchased the Ascent. OTOH don’t judge the Ram by the type of damage you see. The front end is design to collapse and sacrifice itself to dissipate all that energy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts