Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I watched that video on YouTube a couple times, it was pretty straight forward. I prepped all the tools ahead of time to make it easier.

This is easier than changing our brake drums from my 2008 Forester. And I had to install a tow hitch on my Forester as well..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Does the middle plastic cover snap back on to cover the whole setup once installed?

If you want to do a bike rack, is it Dremel time to create an opening and have a clean look?

·
Registered
370 Posts
Does the middle plastic cover snap back on to cover the whole setup once installed?

If you want to do a bike rack, is it Dremel time to create an opening and have a clean look?
Yes, the cover snaps back on for the clean look when not used.
No, can't just Dremel an opening because you need to insert the pin and clip needed to keep the hitch ball from falling back out. Well, maybe a larger opening that could slip over the ball and hitch, but with the amount of drop needed to get the proper ball height, I don't know if it would look nice.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
25 Posts
There's a guy on the FB Ascent Group page who makes custom hitch covers out of the OEM part. He has two options, a smaller opening to allow access to the hitch and a wider cutout with access to both 4- and 7-pin connectors. I have one and it's really clean.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Good to know, thank you. I’m getting ready to buy the hitch kit (with Costco coupon) and was trying to decide if I should buy another OEM cover.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
25 Posts
Here's the link to the post on the FB group. Not sure if you can access w/o being a member. If not, you'll need to join that group.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Here's the link to the post on the FB group. Not sure if you can access w/o being a member. If not, you'll need to join that group.

This is nice if you don't plan to tow often. You need access to the 7/4 pin plugs.

The hitch cover for me costs

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
2,311 Posts
This is nice if you don't plan to tow often. You need access to the 7/4 pin plugs.
Needs more clearance for the breakaway chains, too. But that is, indeed, a very neat job on the cover.

Reactions: Ey31

·
Registered
998 Posts
Anybody got a pic of the cover with cutouts for chain clearance and the 7 and 4 pin connectors? Seems like there wouldn't be much of the cover left at that point.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
2,311 Posts
Anybody got a pic of the cover with cutouts for chain clearance and the 7 and 4 pin connectors? Seems like there wouldn't be much of the cover left at that point.
That's pretty much the reason that I decided not to go this route, honestly, despite my preferences for a "neat" appearance.

Reactions: xydadx3
1 - 14 of 14 Posts