Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am placing a factory order tomorrow for a Limited Ascent:clap:
Can you please help me understand what should I make sure I receive when it comes to paperwork? Any advice, do and do not tips are greatly appreciated. Thank You

·
Registered
584 Posts
I am placing a factory order tomorrow for a Limited Ascent:clap:
Can you please help me understand what should I make sure I receive when it comes to paperwork? Any advice, do and do not tips are greatly appreciated. Thank You

It's been 12 months since I ordered, but I think I only walked away with 3 things. A brochure for the Ascent, a signed agreement with all the figures on it and attached to that was a detailed listing of my options and accessories that I added.

At least you get to see and test drive one. They were months away from being delivered & in the showroom when I ordered. Good luck. Hope all goes well.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,215 Posts
Also, have your salesperson input your email on the order so you can receive updates from SOA. Ask for an email confirmation of your order that includes your VON. Hope you get a good deal!
Yes, this is something my sales person missed and getting it on after the fact just couldn't/didn't happen...fortunately, she's been monitoring it for me. VON comes first, usually in a day or three and then you get notified when a VIN is assigned and an expected delivery date (not guaranteed) is established a few weeks before delivery. Some folks have reported getting notified when the vehicle hits transportation, etc., too.

I agree with the other poster...your sales order should detail all the options and accessories you ordered and the agreed upon cost along with estimated fees, etc. You will have signed that form when making your order. And do pickup the collateral...'great bathroom reading while you painfully wait through your "new vehicle pregnancy". :) :D

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I think I would wait a month and get the 2020 unless the price goes up. If you plan to keep it forever probably won’t make as much difference. If you keep it say 4 years or less the resale value on the 2020 will be higher because it’s a year newer. Also there are usually small improvements every year.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think I would wait a month and get the 2020 unless the price goes up. If you plan to keep it forever probably won’t make as much difference. If you keep it say 4 years or less the resale value on the 2020 will be higher because it’s a year newer. Also there are usually small improvements every year.
It will keep it for much more the 4 years so as you say will not make a difference. I am also hoping by the time I get the car Subaru will have a lower financing rate for the 2018 models to clear the lot. If 2020 will have some changes that I would like then I will cancel the order.
Thanks

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's been 12 months since I ordered, but I think I only walked away with 3 things. A brochure for the Ascent, a signed agreement with all the figures on it and attached to that was a detailed listing of my options and accessories that I added.

At least you get to see and test drive one. They were months away from being delivered & in the showroom when I ordered. Good luck. Hope all goes well.
What deposit you did? Did they charge your card.

·
Super Moderator
4,215 Posts
I am also hoping by the time I get the car Subaru will have a lower financing rate for the 2018 models to clear the lot.
If they offer a better Subaru finance rate, it will not be because they want to move MY18 Ascents...the supply is low and the demand is high which is why so many of us factory order them. That said, better finance rates are already available from other sources, such as credit unions. I have 2.49% but could have dropped that to 1.49% if I wanted to do the "TrueCar dance" that my credit union (PenFed) requires for the lower rate, but I didn't feel like bothering multiple dealers with that for a few hundred dollars of interest savings when I already made my VIP deal with my preferred local Subaru store. Shop around for financing; in many cases, a dealer will find a way to match a great rate with an alternative finance source so they get the financial benefits of your loan; and if not, you just go with the best rate you found. Most sources will provide a pre-approval with a draft to use when you are finalizing the paperwork after your new vehicle is ready for delivery to you.

·
Registered
29 Posts
$1000 by check, I don't think they would do credit card because I'm positive I would have done that. And....I didn't get a receipt, it wouldn't print :)
I did a deposit for $500 over the phone on a credit card. Actually, I never even talked to the dealer by voice before that. I negotiated everything via text. Haven't been to the dealer once.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I did not have to give a deposit. I thought my dealer forgot to ask me for a deposit when I ordered mine. I asked them later about it and they said they can easily sell an Ascent so they weren’t worried about it.

·
Registered
584 Posts
I did not have to give a deposit. I thought my dealer forgot to ask me for a deposit when I ordered mine. I asked them later about it and they said they can easily sell an Ascent so they weren’t worried about it.

Sounds strange, but I would have probably (I think) insisted on a deposit to make sure the deal was "done/locked in". At the time they had only taken a couple other pre-sale orders and the most they did was $300 under MSRP. My contract was way better than that and they didn't budge until I named my 3 previous Subaru dealerships I had dealt with and was willing to travel 2 hours too.

The dealership knew what the other two in the 1 hour travel time were doing but was unaware of what I might get traveling a little further. Bare in mind, this was in the Pre-Sale time period. Many dealerships were actually selling them at "Above" MSRP!!!!! People where ordering them from across country and flying out or having the vehicle shipped to them. Thus, you can see why I wanted it "locked in" for sure.

·
Super Moderator
4,215 Posts
Deposits are kinda symbolic with a car deal because in most cases, they are ultimately refundable anyway. But they do admit commitment to the deal.

Most of the time, I've used a CC for a vehicle order deposit. While most dealers wouldn't like nor accept a CC for full payment of a vehicle because of the processing fee, most will take a CC for a deposit. AMEX even has an ad campaign on social media right now for deposits of up to $3K for participating dealers. This time around, I used my dealer network's "loyalty bucks rewards" balance which as accrued to about $500 from three vehicles being serviced by them over a few years...the program spans brands.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Happy to report, I placed the order yesterday.
Long story .... I emailed to all the dealers in 100 mile radius to give their best offer for a Limited with some accessories.
After receiving the offers I kept the top 4 that were around 10-10.5% below MSRP and asked them for another 1% to get my business. Meanwhile I was keep going back to my local dealer (where I did the test drive) and asking to match. He was very unresponsive (the only person who was not an internet sales person) and every time trying to get me in something else rather then what I wanted (let me give you a good deal on a touring, etc). Anyhow I was feeling I own him because was only guy who spent more then 10 min of his time to deal with me. Saturday he emailed me that is "DEAL" and manager approved what we discussed and he sent me a numbers for sales price that looked like 11% bellow MSRP. I showed up on Monday, he started with trying to charge me for the home link rearview mirror as a non standard item (from there on I knew it will be bad). After another hour trying to get all the accessories right I was told the real price with excuse that what they sent me the car only price without accessories. Then they came back with 8% below MSRP but at that point my trust was gone and I did not want to deal with them anymore, if we are playing this type of games now I don't want to play second round when the car arrives. I walked away, literally drove a mile pulled to the side of the road and called one of the 4 dealers that from day one was straight forward with all the pricing/paperwork and closed the deal in minutes (he was the highest from top 4). In 2 hours he sent me VON, signed quote and receipt to my CC charge for $500.
I learned my lesson for sure, you want the best price also but go with the person you trust and not playing games. They are some shady sales persons out there.
All this was in Richmond VA area.

Thanks for everybody input was very helpful.

·
Registered
11 Posts
If they offer a better Subaru finance rate,......... I have 2.49% but could have dropped that to 1.49% if I wanted to do the "TrueCar dance" that my credit union (PenFed) requires for the lower rate, Shop around for financing; in many cases, a dealer will find a way to match a great rate with an alternative finance source so they get the financial benefits of your loan; and if not, you just go with the best rate you found. Most sources will provide a pre-approval with a draft to use when you are finalizing the paperwork after your new vehicle is ready for delivery to you.
I am holding out for a better finance rate 3.49 is the best they are offering. Subaru dealer doesn't seem to be wiling to match a better rate. I have not had much luck getting anything better than 3.49

·
Registered
764 Posts
I am holding out for a better finance rate 3.49 is the best they are offering. Subaru dealer doesn't seem to be wiling to match a better rate. I have not had much luck getting anything better than 3.49
Just judging by the condition of the economy right now, I don't expect Subaru to offer anything less than 3.49 all the way through the 2020 model. If the prime rate drops significantly it may drop to 2.9. If you've followed Subaru's rates over the years, 2.9 was the best they ever did for the WRX (until now). The crosstrek dipped down to 1.9 for the 2014 model but it was mostly 2.9 as well. All the higher demand vehicles wouldn't go lower than 2.9 even though it was easy to get low 2s on 84 month loans at credit unions.

·
Registered
965 Posts
It may be different in the SNE / SDC areas, but out here in the rest of the country, when the dealership places the order, Subaru (SOA) requires us as the dealership to verify that we have a signed buyers order (worksheet or something with the agreed upon price) AND a deposit on file (whether it's a check, a charged credit card, or otherwise) before we can submit a sold order.

A dealership that fails to have both can, if audited, lose that vehicle plus additional allocation.

And speaking from experience, the regional manager can audit you about this. I personally had more sold orders for the Ascent than all the other dealerships in our region combined. When the RM came in, she sat down with me and looked through my file folder, confirming things on Subienet.

·
Super Moderator
4,215 Posts
You can shop for financing just like you shop for your vehicle. Unless your credit score is compromised, you should be able to get nice rates. Like I indicated, I tend to finance with PenFed (a credit union) and I've always been able to get a better rate than dealer financing, although the dealer matched it with a bank for our 2011 Outback at the time and we went that way. You have time to investigate your options and you are not required to finance via Subaru.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts