Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I pre-ordered (no deposit) my Ascent with an ETA of 7/17-7/25. I've reached out to the dealer contact for an update on my order; however, I've not received a response. After doing some inventory searches it appears there is the same vehicle at another dealership relatively the same distance away.

Is there any penalty with cancelling my order since a deposit was not given and all we have is a VON?

·
Registered
149 Posts
I did put down a deposit and ended up purchasing from another dealer this week. The original dealer congratulated me and refunded my deposit immediately. You are free to purchase wherever works for you as far as I know and in my experience. Go get it!!!!!! One last thing to double check- call first to make sure it is actually there and available. I called on many that were listed but were long gone and the one I found was never listed on the dealer website- we stumbled onto it looking to test drive a different trim to see what we would miss from our Touring we had on order. They have another on their lot tonight and I bet it’s not on their website either. Call before you make any moves.

·
Registered
978 Posts
If it were me I like negotiating car prices. I would go see the existing one and feel
Out the dealer on price. Then call your dealer and say hey so and so has one I can drive home today what kind of pricing deal are you guys going to give me? I never pay more than invoice btw!

My last three new cars for my self were all $400 below invoice two were Subarus. My 3rd Subaru bought for my mom was $600 below invoice but that was a Premium Legacy which is easiest of the Subarus to get below invoice.

If they say MSRP the ordered dealer? Respond with “Ok so I need to wait only to pay MSRP? Tell them Invoice. And then tell them you need to go the dog just puked or your kid just crashed his bicycle. Give them time to ponder loosing a sale to a competitor assuming the tw dealers aren’t owned by the same Auto Group.

If you can get the ready to go Ascent for Invoice do it. The other dealer didn’t take a deposit which means they basically put your name on an existing allocation they had in the pipeline. It wasn’t custom ordered for you they just said yup yours is coming heres the von.

·
Registered
978 Posts
The ordering thing for Subarus has always cracked me up. They only make 4 trim versions of the same vehicle meaning your not ordering some special build your simply putting your name on one and kinda blowing the whole negotiating thing to ****.

When I go in to buy I could seriously leave and find a killer can’t pass up deal on a Acadia Denali thats just way way too good to pass up. That 3.6L v6 is a great engine. Which case the Subaru lost a long time brand loyal buyer due to dealer BS MSRP or higher sales tactics. But I have more money in the bank so Im good.

You see the difference?

Good dealers know if you leave with a crap price ask they lost the sale. My Ford the local dealer was a complete and total tool. He said MSRP for a yr old car!!! Over 120 of them within 60min of my house. I called him back 5 days later and said “Are you collecting or selling cars today? Silence. I said here’s the deal white, current yr not a yr old , sport seats, light tan interior invoice I buy from you in an hour. If you say no? I go to so and so and he probably dealer trades for the same **** car with you but gets the sale. He says Ok ill call you back in 30min. Calls me back in 15min and says yeah ok were pulling it out front see you in an hour.

You better believe Ill be working the Subaru dealers the same way or Ill just go find a better deal on something else.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks for the great advice! The dealer actually sold the car I was viewing online (lagging inventory updates). ?

I spoke to the dealer, where the original reservation was made and was updated with a later delivery date. I'm finding that the Magnetite Grey Limited 7p with Pkg 2 isn't easy to find... If I wanted white, brown or black, I'd already be driving. Thankfully it looks like the current dealer I plan to purchase from isn't deviating from the build out MSRP on their current inventory. ??

The wait continues...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.