Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had to put 4 new tires on my Ascent. I have been driving in town for 100 miles and my mpg is up about 2 mpg right now. The pressure is always checked here at home, so yes it is the same. I bought the Michelin touring and so far, I think they are great.
I just thought you would want to know...
Krash

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have the Touring and I couldn't believe that Subaru put those crappy Falken tires on this level of Ascent.

·
Registered
978 Posts
I had to put 4 new tires on my Ascent. I have been driving in town for 100 miles and my mpg is up about 2 mpg right now. The pressure is always checked here at home, so yes it is the same. I bought the Michelin touring and so far, I think they are great.
I just thought you would want to know...
Krash
New tires are the best. Love the smell too! Usually better tires are heavier than the OEM tires so I'm a bit surprised in the +2mpg difference. The OEM 20" Falkens are the lightest I know of at 30 lbs. Everything else I've looked at is heavier by a couple lbs per tire.

Let us know if that MPG continues after a thousand+ miles. We need a bigger sample size. For example I fueled up before work this morning and was showing 30mpg when I arrived. After getting back home it was down to 22mpg. It'll be 20mpg by the end of the tank. It happens all the time.

·
Registered
732 Posts
When I ditched the Falkens for generals, I didn't notice too much of a difference in mpgs, same for my winter wheels and tires (which are " -2"). I did find the ride, handling, and traction (especially in the rain), improved dramatically over the Falkens....

It's best to track mileage over a couple 100 miles at least. Also I wonder if inflation psi was different old vs new. At 20k miles, I seem to be steady at 20.1mpg, 40/60 city/hwy mix, up from mid to mid high teens over the past 2.5 yrs.

OE tires are always a compromise. But the strangest oe tire I ever had were Pirelli P Zero neros, 245/40r19's!! (uhp summer only category) that came OE on my ( now my son's) Lincoln mkz reserve. It was a little known, unadvertised option, on the mkz that allowed Lincoln to send the car outfitted with those tires to the car magazines and claim they were in OE option. It provided somewhat better performance numbers on the road tests than the real oe tires. Kind of like in the sixties and seventies when automakers used to send ringers/ specially modified cars out to the road test magazines to get better numbers..... It was a pretty clever end run, you have to admit...

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
828 Posts
I like everything about the OE tires except for the treadwear. Ours have nearly 11k miles now and it looks like we'll get about 30k out of them. That's not terrible, but I'd need better if spending nearly $200 apiece when replacing them. Ours have been very quiet under most conditions, they ride smoothly, they're perfectly balanced (something that I often don't have a lot of luck with), they're very difficult to hydroplane, and they've kept our Ascent moving on snowy roads with apparent ease. I'd replace them with the same if I could expect about 50k miles from a set.

·
Registered
732 Posts
I really did not like the Falkens, although I wasn't planning on getting rid of them until I found out after ~5500 miles and 4 tire alignments & rotations ( Because I swap out Winter wheels and tires and do an alignment twice a year because of that) that 1 of them was out of spec relative to the other ones. I decided to cut my losses and get a different brand that I had good experiences with. Otherwise, I'd still be slogging along with them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Right now, I am right at 22 mpg in town. I used to get 18 to 20. I am installing the trailer hitch, so no road trip plans yet. I’ll keep you posted...

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
828 Posts
You said you bought "the Michelin touring". Which tire model, exactly? Are you speaking of the new CrossClimate tires? Or the Premier LTX? Or perhaps the Defender LTX M/S (if you have the 18" size)?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I took a little highway trip, around 30 miles, and my mileage is up to 22.5mpg. I might increase the psi after the increasing stops to see what that does...

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have the Touring and I couldn't believe that Subaru put those crappy Falken tires on this level of Ascent.
I don’t know why did so say that! I love the falken tires on my 2019 ascent! These tires are very quite during road trip. My car has 24k miles and most of this mileage were use going up and down to big bear.

·
Registered
2021 Ascent Touring stock.... for meow.
24 Posts
That’s because they are specifically designed as a proprietary tire for OE manufactures. They are not offered anywhere. They make them soft and with less tread depth than tires you buy later. They do this because it gives a softer ride, more initial grip and are quiet. Don’t base your opinions on Falken on the OE tires, blame Subaru for requesting those specs.

If you compare the OEM Falken ZE001 to a comparable Falken Pro G5 CSV you’ll find many differences.
ZE001
Wear 360-B-A
Tread Depth 9.7/32”

Pro G5 CSV
Wear 640-A-A
Tread Depth 11/32”

This is just at a glance and what’s on the surface. Subaru isn’t the only one that does this. ALL manufactures do this. This is what caused the whole Firestone and Ford Explorer reputation issue about 25 years ago. Ford did not spec the correct load rating. Firestone simply made the tires to Ford’s spec. Firestone made and still makes fantastic tires. But all the blame was put on Firestone back then and it ruined their reputation.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts