Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Just received my '21 Limited Ascent and really happy with it! Nice upgrade from our Crosstrek.

We do a lot of hiking and travel on forest roads, nearly every weekend from spring through fall. No rock crawling or anything crazy like that but sometimes the the forest roads we use are quite bad (rutted, sharp rocks, etc). We've never had a problem with our 18' Limited Crosstrek so I don't think traction is an issue, just piece of mind for punctures. Thus, I would like to add some A/T's for piece of mind to primarily help reduce the chances of punctures. Of course, I'd like them to be quiet and comfortable too 馃槄

A few questions:

1. Tire Selection: I'd like to stick with factory sizes which means 245/60R18 I believe. When I go to Discount Tire, it looks like I have the following options. Out of these options, what would be the best choice for reducing punctures + quietest ride? I do live in the Pacific Northwest so we deal with lots of rain for our city driving if that matters at all.
  • Toyo Open Country A/T III
  • Firestone Destination A/T 2
  • Yokohama Geolander A/T G015
  • Continental Terrain Contact A/T
  • Falken Wildpeak A/T
2. Wheel Selection: This is a dumb question but since I will need new wheels, any recommendations? I'm not sure if all wheels are the same? I do not mind paying extra for quality and something sturdy but have no idea where to start here. I would rather buy once and cry once for the Tire + Wheels and get quality.

3. Finally, do you think A/T's are overkill and I should just go to an A/S 245/60R18 tire? We never had a puncture in our 3 years with the Crosstrek in OEM tires with 225/55R18 but maybe we were just lucky nothing ever happened.

Registered
Just received my '21 Limited Ascent and really happy with it! Nice upgrade from our Crosstrek.

We do a lot of hiking and travel on forest roads, nearly every weekend from spring through fall. No rock crawling or anything crazy like that but sometimes the the forest roads we use are quite bad (rutted, sharp rocks, etc). We've never had a problem with our 18' Limited Crosstrek so I don't think traction is an issue, just piece of mind for punctures. Thus, I would like to add some A/T's for piece of mind to primarily help reduce the chances of punctures. Of course, I'd like them to be quiet and comfortable too 馃槄

A few questions:

1. Tire Selection: I'd like to stick with factory sizes which means 245/60R18 I believe. When I go to Discount Tire, it looks like I have the following options. Out of these options, what would be the best choice for reducing punctures + quietest ride? I do live in the Pacific Northwest so we deal with lots of rain for our city driving if that matters at all.
  • Toyo Open Country A/T III
  • Firestone Destination A/T 2
  • Yokohama Geolander A/T G015
  • Continental Terrain Contact A/T
  • Falken Wildpeak A/T
2. Wheel Selection: This is a dumb question but since I will need new wheels, any recommendations? I'm not sure if all wheels are the same? I do not mind paying extra for quality and something sturdy but have no idea where to start here. I would rather buy once and cry once for the Tire + Wheels and get quality.

3. Finally, do you think A/T's are overkill and I should just go to an A/S 245/60R18 tire? We never had a puncture in our 3 years with the Crosstrek in OEM tires with 225/55R18 but maybe we were just lucky nothing ever happened.
you have a 50/20" wheel. I just mounted the Wildpeaks. They should serve you well.

Registered
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
If you change to 18" wheels, then your stated OEM size is correct. There are multiple threads here about various AT tires that you'll want to explore.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks @Jim_in_PA. I just went through a few threads and it seems like the Falken Wildpeak is probably the way to go, having the extreme weather rating would be nice too.

Any idea on what to look for in wheels, or is it just a matter of what looks best and they are all built the same?

Administrator
Thanks @Jim_in_PA. I just went through a few threads and it seems like the Falken Wildpeak is probably the way to go, having the extreme weather rating would be nice too.

Any idea on what to look for in wheels, or is it just a matter of what looks best and they are all built the same?
  • Load rating of at least 1,800 pounds
  • Offset (inset) of 55mm or as close to it as possible (I wouldn't go below 40)
  • 5/114.3 lug pattern
  • You MUST get lug nuts that are compatible with the wheel's lug nut seat area and that have with 12mm threading of sufficient depth to not bottom out on our lugs.
I always emphasize that one, because I've seen people use the wrong ones and break lugs - one guy, just recently with a different car and aftermarket rims, lost his whole tire and wheel (and three of five lugs) because he switched to steelies and didn't switch to the proper, deeper, flat mating surface lug nuts.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
  • Load rating of at least 1,800 pounds
  • Offset (inset) of 55mm or as close to it as possible (I wouldn't go below 40)
  • 5/114.3 lug pattern
  • You MUST get lug nuts that are compatible with the wheel's lug nut seat area and that have with 12mm threading of sufficient depth to not bottom out on our lugs.
I always emphasize that one, because I've seen people use the wrong ones and break lugs - one guy, just recently with a different car and aftermarket rims, lost his whole tire and wheel (and three of five lugs) because he switched to steelies and didn't switch to the proper, deeper, flat mating surface lug nuts.
Thanks! I just found your pinned thread and it was super helpful as well. I think I have settled on the following: Enkei Performance Hornet, 18x8 45mm offset (load rated ~ 1,850 lbs)

What is the main advantage of keeping the offset close to 55mm? It does seem like I have some more options if I choose a 40mm offset on tirerack but 45mm will keep me closer to the stock offset.

Is there a good way to know if the lug nuts will be compatible? I see this when checking out on tirerack.com:

Included Hardware
4 Required centering ring , 1 Lug adapter , 20 Required lugnut for vehicle (nickel plated)

Administrator
Thanks! Glad it helped!

Easy one first... whoever you buy the rims from, let them know about the threading and lug size for the Ascent, and they will know what lug nuts. I highly recommend my friends at @Discount Tire who have helped not just me, but many many others I've sent to them. Matt and the team know what works and what doesn't.

The farther out the wheels, the more angular force on the bearing. It's a lever, where the fulcrum is where the assembly is connected to the frame. It also eats more gas as the tire slips into the edges of the car's air bubble. it also changes handling and steering because the wheels are moving on a larger circular path when you turn the steering wheel.

Here's an exaggerated example. Note how the farther out wheel has an entirely different travel on a wider path. The whole "more force, weight farther from the fulcrum" part is the same as well.

Thanks! I just found your pinned thread and it was super helpful as well. I think I have settled on the following: Enkei Performance Hornet, 18x8 45mm offset (load rated ~ 1,850 lbs)

What is the main advantage of keeping the offset close to 55mm? It does seem like I have some more options if I choose a 40mm offset on tirerack but 45mm will keep me closer to the stock offset.

Is there a good way to know if the lug nuts will be compatible? I see this when checking out on tirerack.com:

Registered
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
@Robert.Mauro Thanks so much! I wish I could buy you a beer for all the help. This might be more of a question for @Discount Tire but from what I can find, I think these are my options at the upper price tiers:

1) Enkei Performance Hornet: 18x8 45mm

2) BBS SR: 18x8 40mm. EDIT: Seems like BBS might make this is a 50mm offset as well which would be ideal

3) Stock 18" OEM (through dealership)

(I can't seem to find any on discounttire.com that are 18x7.5 55mm)

Between the BBS and the Enkei, the Enkei's are the closest to the factory offset. The BBS perhaps have the "best" reputation and are made in Germany, but are 40mm instead of 45mm/55mm.

The OEM's are obviously are a direct fit, and from what I can tell in the other threads, seem to be built very well and have great load ratings.

Long story short, I am just looking for something that is very sturdy and will give me piece of mind that it's not going to fall apart and cause an accident when driving a steep forest road next to a cliff like we do most weekends.

Thoughts on which option might be best?

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
Worked with the dealership and they have some 18" brand new wheels for $100 per wheel. Someone bought a base model Ascent and upgraded to the 20" wheels.

So OEM 18" Wheels + Falken A/T + OEM TPMS & center cap should all be installed at the dealership next week (y)

Administrator
@Robert.Mauro Thanks so much! I wish I could buy you a beer for all the help. This might be more of a question for @Discount Tire but from what I can find, I think these are my options at the upper price tiers:

1) Enkei Performance Hornet: 18x8 45mm

2) BBS SR: 18x8 40mm. EDIT: Seems like BBS might make this is a 50mm offset as well which would be ideal

3) Stock 18" OEM (through dealership)

(I can't seem to find any on discounttire.com that are 18x7.5 55mm)

Between the BBS and the Enkei, the Enkei's are the closest to the factory offset. The BBS perhaps have the "best" reputation and are made in Germany, but are 40mm instead of 45mm/55mm.

The OEM's are obviously are a direct fit, and from what I can tell in the other threads, seem to be built very well and have great load ratings.

Long story short, I am just looking for something that is very sturdy and will give me piece of mind that it's not going to fall apart and cause an accident when driving a steep forest road next to a cliff like we do most weekends.

Thoughts on which option might be best?
Any option you prefer... with 1,800 pound load rating or higher (some of both Enkei and BBS don't have that). You must look at the actual load rating and not use a "compatibility wizard" on a website.

Obviously, from an offset perspective, it would be stock, BBS, and then Enkei.

Sorry, I'd written you a response a while ago, and must not have submitted it (or the forum glitched and lost it).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts