Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have either of these? I'm being quoted $299 for the tire and wheel protection and $189 for the windshield protection on a new purchase. Sales guy said the windshields are expensive to replace (he said $900).

If you do have one of these plans, how much did you pay for it? And is there a time limit for buying it assuming tire, wheel, windshield have no issues.

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
Does anyone have either of these? I'm being quoted $299 for the tire and wheel protection and $189 for the windshield protection on a new purchase. Sales guy said the windshields are expensive to replace (he said $900).

If you do have one of these plans, how much did you pay for it? And is there a time limit for buying it assuming tire, wheel, windshield have no issues.
There is an older thread on these plans. I advise to avoid them like the plague. Most comprehensive insurance coverage will pay for the windshield and the necessary calibration. Check directly with your insurance company. The sales folks are feeding you a fear line. I did my homework and passed (same for interior protection).

·
Registered
3,698 Posts

There is an older thread on these plans. I advise to avoid them like the plague. Most comprehensive insurance coverage will pay for the windshield and the necessary calibration. Check directly with your insurance company. The sales folks are feeding you a fear line. I did my homework and passed (same for interior protection).

·
Registered
216 Posts
Agreed - avoid. The subaru gold plan is what you want if you want a warranty. Prepaid maintenance, fabric, dent and ding, windshield, tire and wheel, etc. are all garbage. If you do want a subaru warranty check the forums as most, including myself, bought from a guy named Clay.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay. Thanks. We had quite a few ugly scrapes on our wheels on our prior car and also had to replace the windshield so that was in my mind. I did get a gold warranty quote from one of the guys on this forum, so I’ll go with that. Although I realize it doesn’t cover wheel and tire and windshield. My hesitation was that if I make a claim with insurance, my premium may go up and that might be more than the protection plan, which covered 5 years. The one I was leaning towards was the tire and wheel.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,828 Posts
The Gold extended service contract is an excellent plan. If you are someone who has had issues with wheel/tire damage historically for reasons ranging from where you drive/park and general road conditions you suffer with, then the wheel/tire plan might be good insurance for you. All of these plans are a form of insurance. The cost to replace one wheel is hundreds of dollars. Other pre-paid maintenance things are not something I'd ever buy, personally.

There a lots of discussions about various coverage in the forum's dedicated "warranty" area which should be helpful to you, too.

Reactions: carlover01

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The Gold extended service contract is an excellent plan. If you are someone who has had issues with wheel/tire damage historically for reasons ranging from where you drive/park and general road conditions you suffer with, then the wheel/tire plan might be good insurance for you. All of these plans are a form of insurance. The cost to replace one wheel is hundreds of dollars. Other pre-paid maintenance things are not something I'd ever buy, personally.

There a lots of discussions about various coverage in the forum's dedicated "warranty" area which should be helpful to you, too.
Good advice! And I just found the warranty thread. I’d searched the forum but couldn’t find my way there before. I’m new and still learning. Thank you!

·
Registered
24 Posts
I purchased the wheel and tire protection plan do to the 20" rims on the touring but am not sure if it for everyone. I don't think the windshield plan is a good idea. As some said on here your insurance company usually has a glass coverage plan you can get from them with no deductible but that may depend on what state you are in. I have Geico and they paid for a new windshield on my previous 2017 Sorento with OEM glass. The bill was about $1200 and I also had to have the Adaptive cruise control camera recalibrated by the dealership which Geico also paid for.

·
Super Moderator
2,416 Posts
I don't think the windshield plan is a good idea. As some said on here your insurance company usually has a glass coverage plan you can get from them with no deductible but that may depend on what state you are in.
I didn't realize until recently how much of a difference there is between the states on windshields and insurance. Here in VA I would have to pay my deductible, which is only $250 on my policy, but thats still more than $189 for windshield insurance. Plus avoiding dealing with your car insurance and potential rate hikes sounds like a win.

·
Super Moderator
3,828 Posts
Insurance is regulated by each state. Some states required glass coverage from insurance companies as "standard"...I believe Florida is like that, but I can be mistaken. In PA, it can actually be excluded from comprehensive unless you add a glass endorsement as I just did for both my Ascent Touring and our MY16 Outback Limited with Eyesight.

·
Registered
205 Posts
There is 0 glass coverage here and you cant even purchase it separate. (Break in and such are obviously different). I was told by my State Farm agent that they used to cover chips but dont do any of it anymore. Wheel and tire is a big deal if you get a sidewall nail in most cases you need a whole set of tires.

Windshield on a eyesight car will run you around $500 installed. Ive been told the ascent doesn't have anyone making aftermarket.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I purchased the wheel and tire protection plan do to the 20" rims on the touring but am not sure if it for everyone. I don't think the windshield plan is a good idea. As some said on here your insurance company usually has a glass coverage plan you can get from them with no deductible but that may depend on what state you are in. I have Geico and they paid for a new windshield on my previous 2017 Sorento with OEM glass. The bill was about $1200 and I also had to have the Adaptive cruise control camera recalibrated by the dealership which Geico also paid for.
We also purchased the wheel and tire protection in October. I normally pass on any of the extended warranties offered by the dealer, but the cost of replacing just one 20" wheel and/or tire made me very nervous (Yes, I fell for the fear tactic used by the dealer). Just this past week my wife had a flat tire at work with only about 5000 miles on the Ascent and all I had to do was call the toll free number and they sent someone out to change the flat in the rain. I then drove to the dealership where we purchased the vehicle and the service department dealt with the warranty company. It turned out that there was a slit in the sidwall of the tire, meaning we would have been on the hook for almost $200 without the protection plan. I have no doubt we'll get our money's worth out of the plan over the next 5 years because I'm sure someone in the family will curb at least one of the wheels (I'm looking at you teenage daughter...) or there will be cosmetic damage due to road salt, etc.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I did add glass insurance to my policy coverage. $50 deductible. I’m still weighing the tire and wheel policy. What did y’all pay for yours? Dealership told me I had a week to decide.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Florida does require your insurance company to cover it. FOR SURE. Also, FOR SURE is that NC does not! Ouch.
That cost may be true if the dealership does it; but, if an independent (same glass) then it is about $400 but, you do have to have the iSight recalibrated at the dealership for a little less than $200.

·
Registered
7 Posts
There is 0 glass coverage here and you cant even purchase it separate. (Break in and such are obviously different). I was told by my State Farm agent that they used to cover chips but dont do any of it anymore. Wheel and tire is a big deal if you get a sidewall nail in most cases you need a whole set of tires.

Windshield on a eyesight car will run you around $500 installed. Ive been told the ascent doesn't have anyone making aftermarket.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Unfortunately Radner, you’re incorrect about the windshield on Subaru vehicles with Eyesight.

I’m a Subaru employee, and 4 time Subaru owner.... I know a thing or two.

Suabru’s without Eyesight, do not require an OEM windshield. If you have Eyesight, you must have an OEM windshield on your vehicle. Every Ascent has Eyesight, so it’s applicable to all Ascents.

Now, one of the disadvantages of Eyesight, or any vehicle with advance safety features built behind the windshields, are they are incredibly expensive to replace. Right before I traded my ‘18 Outback 3.6R Touring, for my ‘19 Ascent Touring, I had to have my Outback’s windshield replaced. It came to the tune of $1,100, which included calibration. I have a coworker who had to have his Ascent windshield replaced two weeks after he bought his, and was about the same price.

That being said, I have always had full glass coverage, which is part of your comprehensive coverage on ones insurance policy. Now, by and large, comprehensive claims don’t affect your premiums- as they are deemed ‘acts of god’. Now if you start hitting tons of deer, cracking windshields left and right, and getting stuck in hail storms, I’m sure your insurance company will have second guesses about you as a customer.

As a Subaru employee, do I thing the tire and wheel packages, windshield and dent package, and any of the other ones similar are sensible? No, not for a Honda, Toyota, Lexus, Porsche, and not a Subaru. Usually their is limitations on time for those packages, aka 3-5 years. So if you’re someone who owns the vehicle till you hit 6 digits on the odometer, many of those packages won’t cover you throughout your whole ownership.

When someone goes into finance, really the only sensible ‘add on’s’ one might want to consider is GAP (if you financed), and extended warranty (for a piece of mind- all cars are getting high tech these days, and more expensive to repair).

Just make sure to have full glass on your new Subaru, with no deductible or a low one. It is worth it, seriously.

·
Super Moderator
3,828 Posts
That being said, I have always had full glass coverage, which is part of your comprehensive coverage on ones insurance policy. ...
...Just make sure to have full glass on your new Subaru, with no deductible or a low one. It is worth it, seriously.
Since insurance coverage is state specific in the US, glass coverage may or may not be included as standard in comprehensive coverage on an auto policy. It's required in Florida, for example, but I had to buy an endorsement here in PA as otherwise there was zero glass coverage under comprehensive for my Ascent or our MY16 Outback Limited with Eyesight. So the last statement I quoted from you is very important...one must actually check with their insurance carrier to determine if there is any coverage for glass to begin with and what's required to get that coverage or upgrade so you have it.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Unfortunately Radner, you’re incorrect about the windshield on Subaru vehicles with Eyesight.

I’m a Subaru employee, and 4 time Subaru owner.... I know a thing or two.

Suabru’s without Eyesight, do not require an OEM windshield. If you have Eyesight, you must have an OEM windshield on your vehicle. Every Ascent has Eyesight, so it’s applicable to all Ascents.

Now, one of the disadvantages of Eyesight, or any vehicle with advance safety features built behind the windshields, are they are incredibly expensive to replace. Right before I traded my ‘18 Outback 3.6R Touring, for my ‘19 Ascent Touring, I had to have my Outback’s windshield replaced. It came to the tune of $1,100, which included calibration. I have a coworker who had to have his Ascent windshield replaced two weeks after he bought his, and was about the same price.

That being said, I have always had full glass coverage, which is part of your comprehensive coverage on ones insurance policy. Now, by and large, comprehensive claims don’t affect your premiums- as they are deemed ‘acts of god’. Now if you start hitting tons of deer, cracking windshields left and right, and getting stuck in hail storms, I’m sure your insurance company will have second guesses about you as a customer.

As a Subaru employee, do I thing the tire and wheel packages, windshield and dent package, and any of the other ones similar are sensible? No, not for a Honda, Toyota, Lexus, Porsche, and not a Subaru. Usually their is limitations on time for those packages, aka 3-5 years. So if you’re someone who owns the vehicle till you hit 6 digits on the odometer, many of those packages won’t cover you throughout your whole ownership.

When someone goes into finance, really the only sensible ‘add on’s’ one might want to consider is GAP (if you financed), and extended warranty (for a piece of mind- all cars are getting high tech these days, and more expensive to repair).

Just make sure to have full glass on your new Subaru, with no deductible or a low one. It is worth it, seriously.

The wheel and tire warranty thru Subaru works out well when it’s an issue that requires all 4 tires to be replaced. I know this is wear dependent but still. And if the dealer sells it at a reasonable cost I have no issue with it. The ones that sell it for 1000 for just that it’s not worth it.

But like I said State Farm doesn’t cover glass period anywhere in the United States anymore. I was told it’s been a few years since they offered it. I saw a Florida comment about they require it but there insurance is so screwed up down there and between that and the laws who knows. My friend got in a massive wreak with somewhere from there and they didn’t have the insurance to cover anything and everything had to go on his own policy anyways. He now has perm back injury and isn’t even allowed to go after the guy for not having proper insurance.

·
Registered
566 Posts
The wheel and tire warranty thru Subaru works out well when it’s an issue that requires all 4 tires to be replaced. I know this is wear dependent but still. And if the dealer sells it at a reasonable cost I have no issue with it. The ones that sell it for 1000 for just that it’s not worth it.

But like I said State Farm doesn’t cover glass period anywhere in the United States anymore. I was told it’s been a few years since they offered it. I saw a Florida comment about they require it but there insurance is so screwed up down there and between that and the laws who knows. My friend got in a massive wreak with somewhere from there and they didn’t have the insurance to cover anything and everything had to go on his own policy anyways. He now has perm back injury and isn’t even allowed to go after the guy for not having proper insurance.
State Farm does in Tennessee!

And they do elsewhere: https://www.statefarm.com/claims/claims-help/auto/windshield-repair

·
Registered
6 Posts

I was told I had 30 days to think about it. My dealership tried to sell me the windshield plan with scare tactics. They said if I ever need a new windshield, insurance typically does NOT cover calibration of the Eyesight. I called my Allstate agent and they verified that is IS covered with a new windshield on my policy, after I pay the 250 deductible.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts