Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Ascent Limited Black/Black
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, guess what? Turns out that that metal piece that gave us the flat tire the other day DID in fact ruin the wheel as well. Which is especially crappy because our local Subaru dealer, whom we love and think are very awesome and nice, when I took the car in to have the tire looked at they said it was a piece of a large chain link, that the good news was that it didn't damage the wheel at all, but the tire couldn't be fixed. From my attached photos, does it look like a chain link? It's about 6 friggin inches long! And does that wheel look okay to you? Or does it look like a friggin bullet hole right through the metal. It seem obvious that Subaru didn't even take the tire off the rim and look at it, so I am absolutely furious and will be taking the tire and wheel back to them this afternoon and showing it to them directly and demanding an explanation. Furious! They may have just lost my business forever. And obviously the wheel being ruined wasn't their fault, but flat out lying to me about it being okay? Anyway, don't know what I'm going to day, but I need a wheel as soon as possible. Don't know if I can as my generous brother for even more help. Don't know if anyone on this site lives near Portland and has a 20" original wheel they are selling for cheap? Don't know anything anymore... Just frustrated as can be.
Well, the good news is that the 3 new tires look nice on the car, for whatever that's worth. Sigh... :(
Hand Gesture Finger Thumb Nail
Road surface Asphalt Grey Floor Wall

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire

Wood Grey Water Font Circle

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
What's weird is that that piece of metal isn't even remotely sharp at the end, yet it punctured through the tire and the metal wheel like that. Must have been pointing at just the perfect angle with me going at the perfect speed or something, I don't know. Seems like someone could try a million times in a row driving over something like that on purpose without ever having it go through like that. Weird.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know the tire wasn't covered by our car insurance, but does anyone know or think the wheel damage would be covered? Seems like maybe it would be, but I have no idea as far as tires vs wheels and how they are classified, insured, and what not.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Seems like someone could try a million times in a row driving over something like that on purpose without ever having it go through like that. Weird.
Go buy a lottery ticket? 🤷‍♂️

I know the tire wasn't covered by our car insurance, but does anyone know or think the wheel damage would be covered? Seems like maybe it would be, but I have no idea as far as tires vs wheels and how they are classified, insured, and what not.
Insurance might cover it but how much is your deductible and how much is a new wheel out of pocket? It may be less of a hassle to just look for a used wheel somewhere or buy one new one if you have to.

No idea what that object is, but luckily it only damaged your wheel and tire - looks like it could have caused a lot more damage if it bounced up into the wheel well or hit a different part of your vehicle.

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
1,164 Posts
That seems like an awfully clean hole for a blunt force entry like it was! Is that a through-hole...all the way through to the inner diameter area of the rim?

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,857 Posts
Wow...unbelievable "luck"!

You might try the salvage yard system to see if you can obtain just one OEM wheel to match.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That seems like an awfully clean hole for a blunt force entry like it was! Is that a through-hole...all the way through to the inner diameter area of the rim?
Yeah, it looks like a perfectly drilled hole. It just seems absolutely impossible for that to have happened. And yet...

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I always thought it would be fun to drive through a chain link fence like in the movies. I am now glad I never tried it.

I had to replace a rim due to road debris, sorry to tell you - they are expensive from the dealer and finding used or salvage is hit or miss. It might be cheaper to buy 4 aftermarket rims for the price of one new rim from the dealer.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yep, all the way through.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, looks like my story has a happy ending. Contacted our dealer (Dick Hannah Subaru in Vancouver, WA, even though we're in Portland) and they took my complaint VERY seriously. Within a half hour of my written complaint, the service manager called me and said that they feel super badly about what happened and wanted to make it right. He said that it was a new guy in the service department who had "looked" at my tire, and they will be speaking with him further to make sure nothing like that ever happens again with anyone's vehicle. A "teachable moment" he said. Then he made sure he knew the exact rims we had on our Ascent and then called back about 10 minutes later and said they did have one available and would be giving it to us (and putting the new tire on it) free of charge in order to make things right and hopefully keep us coming back in the future. Definitely feels good to be treated right, especially after such a crappy week.

·
Registered
21 Ascent Premium, 18 Outback Ltd 2.5
396 Posts
@TheRaven glad to hear the dealer stepped up and is making it right! That looks like a 1 in a million shot (with whatever that thing is), which is just salt on the wound. Hopefully they get you rolling again ASAP

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
@TheRaven glad to hear the dealer stepped up and is making it right! That looks like a 1 in a million shot (with whatever that thing is), which is just salt on the wound. Hopefully they get you rolling again ASAP
Yeah, they're putting the new tire on the wheel and on the car right this very minute, and should be done soon. Will be nice to drive on 4 good tires again after babying it on that spare for the past few days.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,857 Posts
Now THAT is a happy ending!

Reactions: TheRaven

·
Super Moderator
2,429 Posts
I might have to travel to your dealer if I need service. It sounds like they took care of it very professionally. I’m glad the new wheel worked out too. At least now you have a good story!

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
1,112 Posts
Good ending.

Bring that wheel to one of those "road rash" repair shops. Tell them the wheel doesn't hold air. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
186 Posts
I'd just install an ordinary valve stem through that new hole, inverted if you have to clear the brakes. Looks like lots of meat around it if it has to be reamed out a bit to get a stem in.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I would suggest looking at junk yards for the wheel.

Edit: just read the rest of the story. Happy you got the wheel replaced!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts