Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
first off I didn’t have any complaints
About my 2019 ascent touring. Until today. I took it in for state inspection. Vehicle has been serviced at dealer since day one. Each service and recall they do a check of tires, brakes, etc. so I get a call that it needs tires to pass inspection. They told me one tire won’t pass due to a poor alignment it’s down to the cords (almost). I check the tires regurlary and dispute this claim. Also, if this is an issue wouldn’t they have noticed it while doing the recalls last month? This is the fourth Subaru I have owned but I am done with Subaru’s. Sorry more of a rant but for $942 I needed to vent. Goodbye Subaru.

·
Administrator
10,943 Posts
Have they been rotating every 6,000 miles?

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
About my 2019 ascent touring. Until today. I took it in for state inspection. Vehicle has been serviced at dealer since day one. Each service and recall they do a check of tires, brakes, etc. so I get a call that it needs tires to pass inspection. They told me one tire won’t pass due to a poor alignment it’s down to the cords (almost). I check the tires regurlary and dispute this claim. Also, if this is an issue wouldn’t they have noticed it while doing the recalls last month? This is the fourth Subaru I have owned but I am done with Subaru’s. Sorry more of a rant but for $942 I needed to vent. Goodbye Subaru.
the very definition of pencil whipping

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,828 Posts
Retiring a vehicle because it needs new tires prematurely seems a bit, um...extreme. And it's going to cost a whole lot more than a set of tires! Thousands and thousands more... Best practice would be to determine why the tires wore prematurely and if there is, in fact, an alignment issues, that needs to be done even if you buy new tires.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
For the OEM Faulkin tires 24k is close to when I changed mine. If everything went perfect with them you might have been at the 30k mark brfore replacing. Alignments are more of a reflection of bed roads not a bad car.

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
For the OEM Faulkin tires 24k is close to when I changed mine. If everything went perfect with them you might have been at the 30k mark brfore replacing. Alignments are more of a reflection of bed roads not a bad car.
I replaced OEM at about same mileage.

·
Registered
775 Posts
To me, the OP's course of action does seem a bit extreme.
Since we have no details, this is a good time to remind people to rotate and or have an alignment done on a semi regular basis, and to occasionally do a quick inspection of the condition of your tires..
If the poster is leaving the brand, they should at least be glad Subaru has strong resale values in general.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,828 Posts
If the poster is leaving the brand, they should at least be glad Subaru has strong resale values in general.
...and be ready for the OEM tires to potentially "suck mightily" on whatever other brand ends up in their driveway. :) :D Nature of the beast.

·
Registered
775 Posts
That is a definite possibility, depending on what they buy. The tires on most of the vehicles in the segment have to be jack of all trade, master of nothing. The Falken Ziex epitomizes this.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Most likely a strut is bad. My 2018 outback's right strut went out around the same time but it wasn't the Subaru service department that found it, it was a tire shop. I, however, can understand the frustration of the OP. In fact. my left strut may be acting a little strange now so when I bring it in for it's 12k service on Monday I am going to tell them to look at it for leaks

·
Registered
114 Posts
Same here in terms of the tires going out early, including the tire quote, but no alignment issues. Dealer serviced with rotation. I said why should I buy tires from you when the originals lasted only 25k miles? I went to Discount Tire and bought a good tire I saw on consumer reports for $200 less.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Seriously the OP is getting rid of his Ascent because he wore out the tires? LOL LOL LOL

I look forward to my tires wearing out! It'll give me an excuse to try another brand! But alas I'm only at 13k mi right now and with the Covid thing, I didn't drive nearly as much this year.

·
Administrator
10,943 Posts
Same here in terms of the tires going out early, including the tire quote, but no alignment issues. Dealer serviced with rotation. I said why should I buy tires from you when the originals lasted only 25k miles? I went to Discount Tire and bought a good tire I saw on consumer reports for $200 less.
Because there's no relevance to tire wear and where you buy the tires. I love @Discount Tire and am running tires from them right now. My second set of tires was from them as well. But, most dealerships sell each and brand and model tire we've discussed here - and had no part in deciding what tires came stock on the Ascent. ;)

Just wanted to clear that up. If I bought my most recent set (KO2's) from the dealership or Discount Tire Direct, I'd have gotten the same tires. Discount Tire just happens to know my tire setup (and numerous other Ascent setups) better - and when the KO2's were on nationwide backorder for many months, they held an order for me to snag five from their first shipment to get out to me.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Because there's no relevance to tire wear and where you buy the tires. I love @Discount Tire and am running tires from them right now. My second set of tires was from them as well. But, most dealerships sell each and brand and model tire we've discussed here - and had no part in deciding what tires came stock on the Ascent. ;)

Just wanted to clear that up. If I bought my most recent set (KO2's) from the dealership or Discount Tire Direct, I'd have gotten the same tires. Discount Tire just happens to know my tire setup (and numerous other Ascent setups) better - and when the KO2's were on nationwide backorder for many months, they held an order for me to snag five from their first shipment to get out to me.
I realize that. I am a dryly sarcastic bastard.

·
Registered
16 Posts
It’s not just a Subaru, all OEM tires wear out really fast. I’ve owned several brand new cars and the longest set I had was my 2003 ford ranger and the factory tires made to about 35k

·
Registered
61 Posts
15,000 on OEM tires so far. Can't wait to replace with something better.
At 26,000 miles my 2019 Ascent needs 4 new tires. Wear is the same for all at 4/32’s. They were rotated every 5000 miles. And note, there is no tire warranty on the OEM Zieix tires. I am going to replace with Continental CrossContact LX25’s. My last Continentals lasted 65,000 miles

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
At 26,000 miles my 2019 Ascent needs 4 new tires. Wear is the same for all at 4/32’s. They were rotated every 5000 miles. And note, there is no tire warranty on the OEM Zieix tires. I am going to replace with Continental CrossContact LX25’s. My last Continentals lasted 65,000 miles
that is fairly typical for OEM.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts