Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, my wife is needing new tires for her 2020 ascent 245/50/20. I was looking at pirelli scorpion all season verde II but they are pretty pricey. A dealer here in town recommended good year assurance max life tires or Toyo Open Country Q/T tires both American made. Any recommendations for tires? We are looking for a good all season tire

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,880 Posts
Spend some time here in this forum area reading all the tire recommendations... ;) Your shopping list will be comprehensive for sure. And I don't recommend the Pirelli you mentioned.

Many folks are choosing All-Weather tires instead of All-Season tires at this point if they have four seasons including the colder ones. The two types are not the same thing.

I'd be on Michelin Defender LTX if they were available in OEM size for the 20" wheels. Since they are not, I opted for the BFG Advantage T/A Sport which is All-Weather, M&S+3 Peaks.

Reactions: HeyChris

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Spend some time here in this forum area reading all the tire recommendations... ;) Your shopping list will be comprehensive for sure. And I don't recommend the Pirelli you mentioned.

Many folks are choosing All-Weather tires instead of All-Season tires at this point if they have four seasons including the colder ones. The two types are not the same thing.

I'd be on Michelin Defender LTX if they were available in OEM size for the 20" wheels. Since they are not, I opted for the BFG Advantage T/A Sport which is All-Weather, M&S+3 Peaks.
How’s the road noise on those? I heard they are a little noisy.

·
Super Moderator
3,880 Posts
How’s the road noise on those? I heard they are a little noisy.
I don't notice any noise...even with my hearing aids in. :) Not really different than the OEM shoes so far.

·
Registered
13 Posts

I am considering going to 235/55R20 - had that size Bizzaks all winter and they rode better and handled better than the OEMs.

Opinion on size change?

What is your objection to the Pirelli Scorpion all season Verde II?

·
Super Moderator
3,880 Posts
I am considering going to 235/55R20 - had that size Bizzaks all winter and they rode better and handled better than the OEMs.

Opinion on size change?
If the diameter is different than the OEM and you're fine with your speed/odo not being accurate as well as incurring the cost of a new spare that matches the diameter of the four tire's you're running, go for it. Just make sure they have the same load rating. If they are the same diameter as OEM, then no issue. Narrower tires are often better in winter because of how tires work in snow, but that's not necessarily a good thing for "fair weather" performance.

What is your objection to the Pirelli Scorpion all season Verde II?
Poorest wear performance of four different tires on my previous vehicle. And yes, it was the previous version, but it turned me off to them. I like tires that wear slowly. :) Maybe the current version is better...I don't know.

·
Registered
23 Posts

why don't you like the Pirelli's ... I was thinking of getting the PIRELLI SCORPION AS PLUS 3 for my ascent 2020 touring ..thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
3,880 Posts
why don't you like the Pirelli's ... I was thinking of getting the PIRELLI SCORPION AS PLUS 3 for my ascent 2020 touring ..thoughts?
I've mentioned that a number of times here in the forums...the Pirelli (at least a previous version of the Scorpion Verde) were the worst tire I ran on my previous vehicle for wear so that left a bad taste in my mouth. I generally get really good tread wear on tire because of my driving habits, but in the past 11 years, the Pirelli was the only one that didn't last/wear well. Even the OEM Falkens on the Ascent and the OEM GY Forteras on my previous vehicle way outlasted them. But perhaps I just got a bad set...I don't know.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I've mentioned that a number of times here in the forums...the Pirelli (at least a previous version of the Scorpion Verde) were the worst tire I ran on my previous vehicle for wear so that left a bad taste in my mouth. I generally get really good tread wear on tire because of my driving habits, but in the past 11 years, the Pirelli was the only one that didn't last/wear well. Even the OEM Falkens on the Ascent and the OEM GY Forteras on my previous vehicle way outlasted them. But perhaps I just got a bad set...I don't know.
ok, thank you for the information

1 - 13 of 13 Posts