Subaru Ascent Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Maybe this is another discussion topic, but when replacing tires, I have learned the importance of a good road hazard warranty, particularly for Subarus. I have purchased numerous sets of tires from my local Sams club for my two outbacks and soon will be looking at replacement tires for a 2020 Ascent. Their road hazard warranty includes the usual lifetime rotation, balancing and tire repairs. However, on two occasions, my wife's outback had a flat tire that was determined to be unrepairable (puncture too close to the sidewall). They of course will replace the unrepairable tire, but also recommended replacing the three other tires. The one defective tire was replaced in full, but they offered a prorated price to replace the remaining three tires. It was prorated based on remaining tread/mileage and I think they were pretty generous about how much tread was remaining. Bottom line, I got 4 new tires because one tire was not repairable and only had to pay about a 1/4 of the full cost because of the Sams club warranty. I don't know if this is standard for all Sams clubs or just the one in my town, but it was not a fluke bc is happened twice to my wife's outback. I'm not sure if other tires shops will provide this type of replacement warranty. Given Subaru sensitivity of having 4 tires with same tread depth maybe others can provide recommendations on best places to buy tires that have good road hazard warranties. I have had exceptional experience with the road hazard warranty at my local Sams club and will continued to buy tires there.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,723 Posts
I buy my tires at Costco and the installation fee...sometimes as low as a penny...includes lifetime road hazard, lifetime rotation/balancing as well as the initial installation. I agree that road hazard is a good thing to have, even if one has to pay extra for it. Stuff happens...and tires are expensive.

Reactions: Ascent4greyhounds

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
When I got my tires at NTB, it included free balancing, rotation and flat repair for life. They offered a road hazard plan at an extra cost which would replace any unrepairable tires for free for 12 months and then prorated after that. I considered it but when I asked if the same thing thing happened in the future and three good tires had worn more than 2/32" would I just get one free tire and have to buy three more at full cost and they said I would so I decided not to get it.

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
1,120 Posts
I think that makes sense. It's almost always less expensive to self-insure when you're able. Enjoy the new tires!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
UPDATE: We still had the clunking sound when driving slowly over bumps. Initially the dealer thought it was TSB 05-71-19R which called for replacing the front coil springs. After the coil springs were replaced, the noise was still there. After more investigation they found some play in the shaft of the right front strut. Replacing the strut fixed the noise. It is nice and quiet again!

21 - 26 of 26 Posts