Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those who’ve had their Ascents for a period of time, especially with 20 inch rim and tire combo, what have you found to be your PSI sweat spot? What have you found to give you the best ride, mpg, and wear of the tire? Do you have summer VS. winter psi settings?

I do know that 33 PSI is the recommended pressure for the Ascent. My Subaru dealer uses this as a minimum pressure. I have found for my Crosstrek that they usually run the tires a little higher in the winter and lower (closer to the recommendations on the door) in the summer.

Thanks.

·
Registered
498 Posts
When I ran the stock tires, I ran at 34psi. I am not sure that is the best pressure, but that is at which I ran them.

For others who stumble upon this thread, here are my suggestions for other tires:

Blizzak DM-V2 in P245/50-20: 36psi
Continental TerrainContact in 245/60-18: 37psi

Maybe other can chime in on their setups and make a sticky?

·
Administrator
10,986 Posts
Standard tires:
20": 33psi (Subaru spec)
18": 35psi (Subaru spec)
17": 38psi (my recommendation)

My other recommendations:
All Terrain tires: add +1 to +2 psi
Off road tires: add +2 to +3 psi
Beefy winter/road tires: +1 to +3 psi

On all-terrain, beefy tires in bad snow: 0 to -2psi

Your needs may vary. What tires you run may change those needs. But those are the numbers I follow.

These are all COLD measurements. By the time your sensors start transmitting, the tires are warming. That's why people should always use a tire pressure gauge on a cold tire for the purpose of determining if it's under or over inflated.

·
Registered
978 Posts
^This has been my experience with several cars not just Subaru.

I will say this with both my Subarus road trips with a packed load ie not every day weight the stock rears tires need 2-3+psi bump or you’ll see accelerated wear during the road trip.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Standard tires:
20": 33psi (Subaru spec)
18": 35psi (Subaru spec)
17": 38psi (my recommendation)

My other recommendations:
All Terrain tires: add +1 to +2 psi
Off road tires: add +2 to +3 psi
Beefy winter/road tires: +1 to +3 psi

On all-terrain, beefy tires in bad snow: 0 to -2psi

Your needs may vary. What tires you run may change those needs. But those are the numbers I follow.

These are all COLD measurements. By the time your sensors start transmitting, the tires are warming. That's why people should always use a tire pressure gauge on a cold tire for the purpose of determining if it's under or over inflated.
Hmm, I just picked up my Limited on Monday evening around 60 degrees and the TPMS screen showed 37's and 38's for my 20 inch wheels before I did any driving. I will be lowering them down to the recommended Subaru specs. I didn't find the ride harsh or the handling off at the higher pressures.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have the Limited with 20" wheels, & I run the tires at 42 PSI to reduce wear. I also have a Honda Fit whose specs are 33 front/32 rear which I also run at 42. The ride is harsher, but I don't mind.

·
Registered
597 Posts
I have the Limited with 20" wheels, & I run the tires at 42 PSI to reduce wear. I also have a Honda Fit whose specs are 33 front/32 rear which I also run at 42. The ride is harsher, but I don't mind.
That doesn't reduce wear but has the tires wear differently. If they have too much air they can cause the center to push outward causing the center to wear before the sides. Too little and the outsides will wear out first.

Saying that I run my tires a bit high as well. They are currently at 39PSI on the 20 inch wheels. I like the more firm handling although they do tend to bounce a bit more.

I'm hoping to replace the wheels and tires once these wear out with a smaller rim and something more off-road worthy than the stock tires and rims.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Running very high tire pressures also offloads the shock absorption work that your tires normally handles to your shocks/struts/springs which would wear them out a bit faster than if the tires were ran at recommended pressures.

My new tires arrived yesterday and I will be experimenting with the pressure on those to find the sweet spot. And find a buyer for the original Falkens.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.