Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi forum folks - Just joined as I recently purchased a 2020 Ascent Ltd. Can anyone tell me if these type tire chain are suitable for the Ascent. Heading on a trip shortly and want to carry chains as required by law. May never need them but...

·
Registered
561 Posts
It is a little known and even less enforced law in California that when chain controls of any sort are up on the roads all vehicles must carry chains. The only place I've ever seen it enforced was Yosemite Valley. But it is the law.
With that said, I had to sign a 'Tire Chain Disclosure' when I bought my Ascent. It says, "As equipped, this vehicle may not be operated with tire chains but may accommodate some other type of tire traction device. See the owner's manual for details."

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I too signed a tire chain disclosure and have read the info regarding alternative "spring" type chains. I already had these for a Ford Edge (same tire size) and tried them on the Ascent. They appeared to fit well without any hinderance. I have no intention of purchasing a set of winter tires so maybe just keep these in case I'm required to use them. Definitely looking forward to a little winter driving. Happy Thanksgiving!

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,828 Posts
There is a whole thread on this in the Tires area of the Technical section of the forum that will be helpful to you. Chains are not permitted on the Ascent, but there are other options if you absolutely must have some additional assistance.

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As it turned out I was not required to install chains on my trip. Although a few days everyone was required to have chains on I decided not to drive. Big Bear Mountain received over 4' of snow in two days. Most November snow for over 50 years. The Ascent handled as expected....perfectly! I will however purchase 2 sets of cable chains (the correct ones I'm told) to carry per CA law and just in case I'm required use them.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
As it turned out I was not required to install chains on my trip. Although a few days everyone was required to have chains on I decided not to drive. Big Bear Mountain received over 4' of snow in two days. Most November snow for over 50 years. The Ascent handled as expected....perfectly! I will however purchase 2 sets of cable chains (the correct ones I'm told) to carry per CA law and just in case I'm required use them.
View attachment 2408
You’ll only need one set of chains for the front wheels per the manual. I’ve had a set since last year and have not used them going up to the mountains a few times. I avoided a route that had R-3 chain controls this past Friday. The rest was R-2 and the Ascent handled it beautifully. I think it would have even been ok on my stock tires with 18k on them. I chose to get new tires last week anyway.

By the time we left yesterday, a lot of the snow had melted. The trip back was uneventful.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You’ll only need one set of chains for the front wheels per the manual. I’ve had a set since last year and have not used them going up to the mountains a few times. I avoided a route that had R-3 chain controls this past Friday. The rest was R-2 and the Ascent handled it beautifully. I think it would have even been ok on my stock tires with 18k on them. I chose to get new tires last week anyway.

By the time we left yesterday, a lot of the snow had melted. The trip back was uneventful.
View attachment 2410
thebeef, post: 123891, member: 2759"]

View attachment 2410
[/QUOTE]

I agree but I figured if I ever did have to install chains it would be nice to have the ability to install them on all 4 tires. What brand/type of chains do you carry and are your new tires AT or AS?

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
thebeef, post: 123891, member: 2759"]

View attachment 2410
I agree but I figured if I ever did have to install chains it would be nice to have the ability to install them on all 4 tires. What brand/type of chains do you carry and are your new tires AT or AS?
[/QUOTE]
I don't remember the brand of chains I bought. I got them in person so I can't look my purchase up online. They're one of the most commonly available cable type chains that get discussed in these types of threads.

My new tires are AS. I bought the tires that suit my driving style 99.9% of the time, even with the tempation of cool-looking AT tires. Mountain trips are few and far between. I have the chains just in case, but would rather avoid R-3 roads if possible.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the input and I'm the same as far as mountain trips are concerned. I was lucky last weekend to avoid all R-3 conditions. Love AWD vehicles especially when all 2 wheelers have to install chains and AWD don't. Only done 500 miles so far and is comparable to off road as an LR3

·
Registered
5 Posts
There is a whole thread on this in the Tires area of the Technical section of the forum that will be helpful to you. Chains are not permitted on the Ascent, but there are other options if you absolutely must have some additional assistance.
I couldn't find the thread in the Tires section. Can you please point me to it?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
AscentinCA
I just ordered the SCC Super Z6 cable type tire chains to comply with CA Law which requires you to carry them. They exceed S.A.E. class "S" clearance. Hopefully I will never need them.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Driving between Sac and Reno many many times in the winter, I've never needed to chain up my AWD or 4x4 vehicles. They did make me put chains on my utility trailer once since it was required on any trailer with brakes. Had the trailer not had brakes, I would have been good to go. I told them the brakes were non-functional. It didn't matter.

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
AscentinCA
I just ordered the SCC Super Z6 cable type tire chains to comply with CA Law which requires you to carry them. They exceed S.A.E. class "S" clearance. Hopefully I will never need them.
Why the heck does CA require chains for an AWD vehicle like the Ascent, particularly if it had winter tires with good tread mounted? Or shouldn't I ask?

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,828 Posts
I couldn't find the thread in the Tires section. Can you please point me to it?

Reactions: GaryInMI

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Why the heck does CA require chains for an AWD vehicle like the Ascent, particularly if it had winter tires with good tread mounted? Or shouldn't I ask?
It would only be in the most severe conditions (R-3). Any Subaru with AS tires will technically be good to go for R-1 and R-2 conditions. I think some roads down here become R-3 due to lack of plows. Last week, we had snow in our local San Diego mountains. The roads up were R-3, for only a few inches of snow. This is only about an hour outside of SD proper. I've heard stories of it taking people 4 hours to get back home from that sort of mess. If you drive farther out where plows are probably more common, the roads are better maintained.

CA chain controls:

·
Registered
170 Posts
AscentinCA
Hi,
I guess you mean tire cables right? Cause chains are not allowed on the Ascent. BTW can you post the link for the cables? I am looking to pick up a pair. Thanks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for kindly sharing the links!

The most likely scenario here in northern CA would be R2 chain control in which case we need to carry chains but not put them on. I think I'll go ahead and buy the superz cables which will be most easily recognizable as a traction control device by the folks enforcing it. But hope I never have to use it!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts