Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to this forum. I'm interested in an Ascent but I know exactly what I want and it's not anywhere around me. I don't want to suck up a lot of the dealer's time -- just want to find one who will order the car I want at a good price, without the runaround and games.

We've bought new cars before but not ordered direct. Can others help me out with some questions:
(1) What's the best way to approach the dealer when ordering? Have a desired price in mind, or ask for their quote?
(2) How long of a wait should I expect on the car?
(3) Do I need to worry about the dealer trying to add fees or somehow modify the deal once the car arrives?
(4) The base MSRP + delivery for what I want is $35k. What should I aim to pay?

FWIW, I don't plan to do a trade-in. Would be paying half the Ascent's cost in cash and financing the rest through my credit union.

Any help or tips would be appreciated! Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
292 Posts
New to this forum. I'm interested in an Ascent but I know exactly what I want and it's not anywhere around me. I don't want to suck up a lot of the dealer's time -- just want to find one who will order the car I want at a good price, without the runaround and games.

We've bought new cars before but not ordered direct. Can others help me out with some questions:
(1) What's the best way to approach the dealer when ordering? Have a desired price in mind, or ask for their quote?
(2) How long of a wait should I expect on the car?
(3) Do I need to worry about the dealer trying to add fees or somehow modify the deal once the car arrives?
(4) The base MSRP + delivery for what I want is $35k. What should I aim to pay?

FWIW, I don't plan to do a trade-in. Would be paying half the Ascent's cost in cash and financing the rest through my credit union.

Any help or tips would be appreciated! Thanks in advance.
There are multiple other threads on this forum that have all the info you're looking for (e.g., discount thread https://www.ascentforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=949).

(1) What's the best way to approach the dealer when ordering? Have a desired price in mind, or ask for their quote? always have your own number in mind to manage and set your own expectations, or you'll be giving dealer too much leverage
(2) How long of a wait should I expect on the car? depends on which dealer you order from and how much allotment they've used up; generally, more competitive priced dealers = you'll wait longer b/c they've likely sold out their monthly allotments faster - some dealers are already selling October/November/December shipments; others (MSRP) are still selling July/August/September shipments
(3) Do I need to worry about the dealer trying to add fees or somehow modify the deal once the car arrives? Before you officially pre-order, make sure you have the total costs and in writing, before tax title licensing (TTL); so you should go in to sign the paperwork with ONLY TTL added on
(4) The base MSRP + delivery for what I want is $35k. What should I aim to pay? depends on what you are willing to pay; if you're willing to pay MSRP, then that's what you should aim for; if you're aiming for the lowest price, read up on some of the multiple other threads with tons of info. Also, depends on where you are in the country; midwest folks are getting amazing prices at or below invoice, the south and pacific coast folks are paying closer to MSRP, but savvier folks in these same areas are getting it close to invoice

·
Registered
87 Posts
Two days ago I left my pre-ordered Ascent at the dealer because we could not agree on price. I made the mistake of assuming that the transaction would go the same way as when we bought our 2014 Forester. My target price was about halfway between invoice and MSRP. The best they offered was $1,000 below MSRP and only because I was a return customer. No counter offer would make them budge. I went somewhere else and ordered the same car for $4,540 below MSRP and I will save $300 on a better priced extended coverage plan and I have a Subaru Loyalty certificate for an additional $500. This deal is through a car buying service that takes all the hassle out of buying a car. You will hear all over this forum that if you are comfortable with the price you pay and happy with your purchase, then you got a good deal. Considering the circumstances surrounding the new Subaru Ascent, I am OK with the deal I have. There are really no special rules that apply to the Ascent that do not apply to any of the other Subaru cars. Some dealers will try to capitalize on the fact that demand is beyond production.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Flarpswitch and gobears1957. I had read a bunch of the forum but didn't hit on the link you provided, so really appreciate you pointing me in the right direction!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts