Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are your plans for tinting? I think I want to follow the law in NJ so I will have my front windows and windshield clear and everything else dark. What percentages of visible light transmission do you recommend for privacy?

·
Registered
86 Posts
I'm having my wife's new Outback tinted tomorrow and pretty much stuck with my rule of "as dark as is legal in Texas". Between the Texas sun and camping, I just have to.

It's all state-by-state, but in Texas, you can do up to 35% on the front passenger/driver windows and whatever you want in the back. So I'm doing 35% up front and then one shade darker in the back. High heat-rejection is my main thing. I need to ask about the sunroof too.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm having my wife's new Outback tinted tomorrow and pretty much stuck with my rule of "as dark as is legal in Texas". Between the Texas sun and camping, I just have to.

It's all state-by-state, but in Texas, you can do up to 35% on the front passenger/driver windows and whatever you want in the back. So I'm doing 35% up front and then one shade darker in the back. High heat-rejection is my main thing. I need to ask about the sunroof too.
Good info, thanks. What percentage visible light did you use for the back?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hmm, good question, I'll have to ask. The cumulative effect was that the rear windows are slightly darker but since the windows come already slightly tinted, I'm not sure what they used to achieve that. I've had it done before on my Crosstrek we just traded in, maybe 18%? I'll let you know.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Anyone know if the side windows will block UV light? I know the windshield will as it is laminated which will block UV.

We tinted my wife's car because she was getting sunburned on her left arm. Keeping UV light out of the car can really help with your skin and preventing sunburn.

·
Administrator
7,832 Posts
Anyone know if the side windows will block UV light? I know the windshield will as it is laminated which will block UV.

We tinted my wife's car because she was getting sunburned on her left arm. Keeping UV light out of the car can really help with your skin and preventing sunburn.
If the Outback is any indication, all of the windows have at worst, decent UV protection, and, at best, near complete UV protection.

Here's the OB numbers for Gen 4 and presumably Gen 5 and the similar model year Forester numbers:

Outback:
  1. Front windshield - 0% for both UVA and UVB
  2. Front partition glass - 20% UVA & 1%UVB (little side window before mirror)
  3. Front door glass - 20% UVA & 1% UVB
  4. Moonroof - 5% UVA and 1% UVB
  5. Rear door glass with dark tint - 5% UVA & 1% UVB
  6. Rear door partition glass - 5% UVA & 1% UVB
  7. Rear quarter glass with dark tint - 10% UVA & 1% UVB
  8. Rear glass with dark tint - 5% UVA & 1% UVB
Forester:
  • Front windshield - 0% for both UVA and UVB
  • Front partition glass - 10% UVA & 1%UVB
  • Front door glass - 10% UVA & 1% UVB
  • Moonroof - 0% for both UVA and UVB
  • Rear door glass with dark tint - 10% UVA & 1% UVB
  • Rear quarter glass with dark tint - 10% UVA & 1% UVB
  • Rear glass with dark tint - 10% UVA & 1% UVB
These are the *transmission* numbers, meaning if it says 10%, it means 90% of UV(A or B as designated) is *blocked*.

I expect no less on the Ascent. :tango_face_wink:

·
Administrator
7,832 Posts
Great information! That means I won't have to get the windows tinted as we did in my wife's car! Also is there a site that has these numbers for all the cars?
I've never found one site. This info was gleaned from a few of us talking to Subaru and getting the numbers via a few different emails.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ascent Front Passenger Window tint percentage?

I am new in this forum and expecting my Subaru Ascent Limited in my garage around mid December.
Is anyone know about % tint in front passenger of ascent?

·
Registered
332 Posts
I am new in this forum and expecting my Subaru Ascent Limited in my garage around mid December.
Is anyone know about % tint in front passenger of ascent?

Copied from another thread:

I reached out to SoA & received this reply:

Thank you for taking the time to contact Subaru of America, Inc. and for your interest in a Subaru Ascent.

The UV calculations below represent the combined values of UVA and UVB penetration. The glass information listed represents calculated reference values, and may not represent actual values. The levels below are what penetrates through the glass.

Front partition glass – 25%
Windshield – 0%
Front door glass – 0%
Moonroof – 0%
Rear privacy glass – 5%
Rear privacy quarter glass – 5%
Rear privacy glass – 0%

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thank you very much Janner. This was very helpful.
I really impressed to see in most of the glasses, UV ray blockade is almost 100%.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
I am considering adding 3M's material to the glass (limited lifetime warranty) so I can achieve some additional privacy and security. https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/automotive-window-solutions-us/. I read that some of these films are metallic so be careful when choosing in case you are going to use your phone and GPS signal from the vehicle. I am wondering how Eyesight and viewing through the rearview mirror handles the tinting (assuming I would be staying within Colorado legal limits).

·
Registered
332 Posts
I am considering adding 3M's material to the glass (limited lifetime warranty) so I can achieve some additional privacy and security. https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/automotive-window-solutions-us/. I read that some of these films are metallic so be careful when choosing in case you are going to use your phone and GPS signal from the vehicle. I am wondering how Eyesight and viewing through the rearview mirror handles the tinting (assuming I would be staying within Colorado legal limits).

I added the 3M Crystalline tint to the side and back windows. I did not add to the windshield. Good thing since I've already had to have the windshield replaced. With the Eyesight, it is very specific about not doing anything to affect it's field of view so I chose not to do that. My impression of the heat rejection is good but I did mine at the end of the summer so had limited very hot temperatures to deal with. Not sure how Colorado's tint compares to Utah but I did the legal limit on the driver/passenger windows.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
thanks for the feedback on tinting, particularly in regard to eyesight. I am also concerned with Colorado glare which can stop you driving in your tracks.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts