Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my Ascent for nearly a week now (love it!) and really want to tint ALL the glass on the car, including windshield.

Has anyone had any success with tinting the windshield? Im thinking about going one notch above ceramic tints and doing crystalline (blocks more heat).

·
Registered
313 Posts
I would really be concerned with not knowing how it would affect Eyesight performance (disables, doesn't disable but reduces effectiveness, makes it act weird, etc.). I personally think it is a bad idea unless Subaru gives a recommendation (meaning tested and verified).

·
Banned
145 Posts
Make sure you check with local laws. And if you do have your front windsheild tinted, (or any) expect your insurance to void you and expensive lawsuits if you are in a traffic accident, legal or illegal tints. Even if the police conclude that tinting had nothing to do with the accident.

https://www.windowfilmmag.com/2017/...t-as-a-factor-in-teens-death-ready-for-trial/

The cost for a average lawyer is about 300 dollars a hour. The lawsuit has been going on for 4 years.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Make sure you check with local laws. And if you do have your front windsheild tinted, (or any) expect your insurance to void you and expensive lawsuits if you are in a traffic accident, legal or illegal tints. Even if the police conclude that tinting had nothing to do with the accident.

https://www.windowfilmmag.com/2017/...t-as-a-factor-in-teens-death-ready-for-trial/

The cost for a average lawyer is about 300 dollars a hour. The lawsuit has been going on for 4 years.

When I was looking at tinting my car, my state regulations say no windshield tinting below the standard windshield shaded area (6" from top???). I did crystaline on all side/back windows but not windshield or moon roof.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I have crystalline 70% on my windshield without issue but everyone has to make that decision on their own. The book says not to put anything on it. In addition to the tint, I also have a ceramic coating on the outside of the glass for water sheeting...

Everyone needs to make that decision on their own and I wouldn’t go dark at all.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have crystalline 70% on my windshield without issue but everyone has to make that decision on their own. The book says not to put anything on it. In addition to the tint, I also have a ceramic coating on the outside of the glass for water sheeting...

Everyone needs to make that decision on their own and I wouldn’t go dark at all.
Do you mind sharing your experience about any effects, of any, that the windshield tints have had on your eyesight capabilities?

·
Registered
265 Posts
I have the same tint on my 17 Forester with eyesight and have had no issues in 33000 miles. I have not noticed anything different on the Ascent other than lane departure systems shutting off and on front time to time but I notice it’s mostly when lane lines become odd... so I can’t say it’s related to the tint.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I just recently did all around 35% with nothing in the front windshield. Cruised it do Monterrey, Calif. and all passengers were happy.

This is definitely a welcomed upgrade from a 2003 Chevy S-10.

Attachments

·
Registered
78 Posts
Had clear uv full windshield (approx 95%tint) and 30% tint strip about 8" down from top on my 15 legacy with eyesight. No issues except exceptionally heavy rain/driving snow and in places where street lighting dropped suddenly and the roads were not marked. In those cases it defaults to off until it can readjust

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
Had clear uv full windshield (approx 95%tint) and 30% tint strip about 8" down from top on my 15 legacy with eyesight. No issues except exceptionally heavy rain/driving snow and in places where street lighting dropped suddenly and the roads were not marked. In those cases it defaults to off until it can readjust
Subaru windshields let in zero UV. Almost all the rest of the glass lets in zero to almost nothing.

Also, for everyone else who's talking heat, it's infrared you need to block. UV causes fade, IR and red side causes more heat (just like the IR-red heat lamps in restaurants).

·
Registered
978 Posts
Anything 15% and up on any of the front three windows buys you a free chp profiling stop in CA. Not to mention any accident you get into you will 100% face legal challenges by any lawyer with two brain cells to rub together.

Me included. Any tint that restricts the ability for people to make eye contact with the driver is a lawsuit waiting to happen. The dark tint on front window game in our area in CA was recently a hot topic and our PD has been cracking down on it after several complaints and accidents.

Its all fun and games till its not.

Maybe you all have huge insurance policies and an office full of lawyers on retainer? I sure don’t

·
Registered
78 Posts
Subaru windshields let in zero UV. Almost all the rest of the glass lets in zero to almost nothing.

Also, for everyone else who's talking heat, it's infrared you need to block. UV causes fade, IR and red side causes more heat (just like the IR-red heat lamps in restaurants).
I guess i shouldve been more descriptive. I use ceramic tint... specific ' formula one pinnacle' it does offer uv and very noticeable heat rejection without sacrificing any kind of cellular issues you might see with metallics

·
Registered
78 Posts
Anything 15% and up on any of the front three windows buys you a free chp profiling stop in CA. Not to mention any accident you get into you will 100% face legal challenges by any lawyer with two brain cells to rub together.

Me included. Any tint that restricts the ability for people to make eye contact with the driver is a lawsuit waiting to happen. The dark tint on front window game in our area in CA was recently a hot topic and our PD has been cracking down on it after several complaints and accidents.

Yeah NY has started getting really serious about this issue too. Its consider probable cause ( or at least thats the excuse)to have anything on the windshield period...and the pass plus driver windows have to allow in 70% of light ..and thats basically what the factory is already rated for.

·
Registered
978 Posts

Yeah NY has started getting really serious about this issue too. Its consider probable cause ( or at least thats the excuse)to have anything on the windshield period...and the pass plus driver windows have to allow in 70% of light ..and thats basically what the factory is already rated for.
Around here nothing gets you pulled over faster than tint on front/side windows combined with paper dealer plates. January 1st 2019 all paper plates in CA will be temporary license tags issued / registered to the car. Its a huge issue in CA right now with vehicles used in crimes wearing paper tags. That all ends soon.

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
There are reasons...

Seems to me if Eyesight is an optical system, and if the window film is almost invisible, Eyesight should be able to function normally. I am not expecting Subaru to test every window tint on the market, nor am I holding my breath to wait for them to endorse a particular brand.
Tint decreases visible light, which is something that affects the color stereo cameras negatively. Heck, they tend to work better at night when the brights are on, for obvious reasons. The smaller field of view through the tint also impacts how much light gets in. Think about tinting your windshield, and then covering all of it except two small squares. The inside of the car would get rather dark. That's what happens to the camera's view. Sitting a couple feet away, we're still looking out the whole (albeit tinted) windshield, as opposed to through two tiny squares.

Additionally, they may change the amount of glare in a way that may be better, worse or the same as just the windshield alone. People may not see that as a problem, because they don't notice it, but, (and this applies to Rain-X as well), the difference is that our eyes are 1.5-2 feet away from the windshield, seeing through a far larger area, while the cameras are 2 inches away. So, at two feet away, we don't even notice an inch wide spot of glare - on the other hand, it covers a massive chunk of one of the camera's fields of view.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I cant believe paper tags are even a thing. As far as the tint laws go it definitely makes my life more difficult. I can get the arguments but i got plenty myself. In the Northeast laws vary dramatically from state to state and within hours you can cross multiple boarders. I had no problem eating tickets but without question hate having my car tossed....but now States like NY won't even pass your inspection with certain tinting. Definitely take caution when doing so...know that your state might permit certain things but your subject to local.

·
Registered
567 Posts

UV also causes skin cancer - on you left arm thru the side window.

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
UV transmittal through glass in a Subie is minimal

UV also causes skin cancer - on you left arm thru the side window.
Yes, but only maybe and very slight risk?

• Yes, UV can cause or contribute to various melanomas (cancers) in a large variety of people.
  • Maybe, in a Subaru, because their glass generally blocks most UV light.

Here's the Gen 4 Forester:
  • Front windshield - 0% for both UVA and UVB
  • Front partition glass - 10% UVA & 1%UVB
  • Front door glass - 10% UVA & 1% UVB
  • Moonroof - 0% for both UVA and UVB
  • Rear door glass with dark tint - 10% UVA & 1% UVB
  • Rear quarter glass with dark tint - 10% UVA & 1% UVB
  • Rear glass with dark tint - 10% UVA & 1% UVB

I'm trying to find the Ascent numbers. I had them someplace. Someone already asked SoA. It's very similar to the Foz numbers above.

It's ALSO why I keep telling people to stop worrying about UV in the Subies. It's infrared and visible that come in, and almost no UV.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.