Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had the Ascent tinted yesterday with 3M Crystalline 40% all around and 20% on the sunroof.
Very happy with this product. Have it on the S90 and the Forester.

Will get better pictures...

Attachments

·
Registered
144 Posts
Had the Ascent tinted yesterday with 3M Crystalline 40% all around and 20% on the sunroof.

So the sunroof already comes tinted. So why tint it and risk it failing?

·
Registered
192 Posts
and 20% on the sunroof..
Ok to tint the sunroof? I recall a post somewhere on here that there was risk of excessive heat build-up with the cover closed, potentially building enough heat to crack the glass (if I recall the post correctly). I'm interested in tinting the sunroof as well, but have been avoiding it thus far.

Reactions: imalittle1

·
Registered
160 Posts
So the sunroof already comes tinted. So why tint it and risk it failing?
Wondering the same along with - I also thought that the rear windows (behind driver and passenger) were factory to around 20% on the premium and touring. Did you add tint over the factory tint?

I have also read a few times that a film should not be placed on sunroofs because it can cause heat buildup that can cause the glass to fail

·
Registered
265 Posts

Crystalline is great for heat protection. I went 20 all the way around including the sunroof. 70% on the windshield. Looks great and great in the back seat for my daughter.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I also thought that the rear windows (behind driver and passenger) were factory to around 20% on the premium and touring. Did you add tint over the factory tint?
I am doing 15% on all side windows (including going over the rear window privacy glass). It will mean the rear windows are slightly darker than the front, but it should be difficult to detect. I will post pics when I get it back later this week.

Reactions: calimomofboys

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So... first regarding the sunroof. I've spoken with several tint professionals and they hear this common misconception all the time.

In short it comes down to the type of glass that is used in sunroofs and not the tint...

here's a snippet from a tinter's website https://www.teamacme.com/tints/is-sunroof-tinting-safe-learn-all-the-risks-how-to-avoid-them/

Shattering
OK, let’s look at the big one. The common belief is that tinting a sunroof will cause it to shatter. This is a myth.

All the windows around you, sides, windshield, and rear window or hatch, are made of laminated glass. This is a shatterproof glass designed to web on impact, creating rounded edges to prevent injury in the event of a crash. The glass that sunroofs are made of is tempered glass that will shatter. It is designed to be more rigid than laminated, dispersing heat over its surface, thereby holding its shape in extreme climate conditions.

The problems occur not when it is tinted, but when pressure is applied to it. A good example is a recent recall by two major manufacturers, why? The sunroofs were shattering when stressed. The natural flex of the frame of the car taking a sharp curve or a sudden stop was putting enough stress on the sunroof to shatter the glass, tinted or not.

The final verdict is that sunroof tinting is not the culprit, the manufacturer’s choice of glass is.
Next up the factory "tint"...
The factory tint does not have the same properties as a film. These films have the added bonus of UV and IR transmission blocking and reducing the total thermal energy. The factory 'tint' is just coloring to make the window darker. So, there is still an added benefit to using a film on top of the factory tint. If you are worried about going to dark, go with a 70-90% film.

As always, your best resource is your local tint professional. I highly recommend Hot Spot Tinting in Marietta, GA. https://hotspottinting.com/index.html

Or.... dive head first into the tintdude.com forums.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Won't the windshield tint mess with the eyesight system?
I’ve gone 2 years with it on my Forester and no issues with it. It’s been discussed on here before. I realize it says not to use it in the manual but I have had no issues. Maybe the next person would but I tinted the Ascent based on the success I had on my Forester. So far no issues and I use cruise a lot.

Reactions: calimomofboys

·
Registered
265 Posts
Near Chicago I paid $695 for every window to be tinted in Crystalline including sun roof and windshield and also had Xpel applied to door handle cups and edges. It’s $$$ But the reduction in heat in the cabin is apparent and worth it for me on long road trips. Less heat = no air conditioning needed = gas savings.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Wow, that's a great price.

My local tint shop quoted me $495 for 5 windows. Windshield and moonroof were extra by a lot. Like $500 per.

·
Registered
107 Posts
So... first regarding the sunroof. I've spoken with several tint professionals and they hear this common misconception all the time.

In short it comes down to the type of glass that is used in sunroofs and not the tint...

here's a snippet from a tinter's website https://www.teamacme.com/tints/is-sunroof-tinting-safe-learn-all-the-risks-how-to-avoid-them/

Next up the factory "tint"...
The factory tint does not have the same properties as a film. These films have the added bonus of UV and IR transmission blocking and reducing the total thermal energy. The factory 'tint' is just coloring to make the window darker. So, there is still an added benefit to using a film on top of the factory tint. If you are worried about going to dark, go with a 70-90% film.

As always, your best resource is your local tint professional. I highly recommend Hot Spot Tinting in Marietta, GA. https://hotspottinting.com/index.html

Or.... dive head first into the tintdude.com forums.

I don't know about the side windows, but the moonroof tint blocks 95% of UV stock. I can tell a HUGE difference between this and my 2011 Outback.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Wow, that's a great price.

My local tint shop quoted me $495 for 5 windows. Windshield and moonroof were extra by a lot. Like $500 per.
Sunroof was only $80 for me because I was already there... plus it’s flat. Shouldn’t be that much... as for the windshield... yea. That’s $$$. Local shop is great so I’m happy to pay for the work.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Sunroof was only $80 for me because I was already there... plus it’s flat. Shouldn’t be that much... as for the windshield... yea. That’s $$$. Local shop is great so I’m happy to pay for the work.
Any particular reason you picked 3M Crystalline? On my 2015 Odyssey, I went with Suntek. On our previously owned 2012 MDX, I went 3M. I haven't notice a big difference. but the 12MDX was not Crystalline.

·
Registered
192 Posts
My dealer has a shop they work with (so I'm sure there is extra mark-up), but I like the single point of responsibility of going through the dealer. $499 for 5 windows, $149 for sun roof, and it turns out windshield tint is illegal in CO...

I'm going to drive it a few days before deciding on the sun roof. I have a 2013 VW Tiguan with a panoramic moon roof (and only a screen to close it off, not a solid panel like the Ascent) and the CO sun cooks my melon...

·
Registered
119 Posts
I reached out to SoA & received this reply:

Thank you for taking the time to contact Subaru of America, Inc. and for your interest in a Subaru Ascent.

The UV calculations below represent the combined values of UVA and UVB penetration. The glass information listed represents calculated reference values, and may not represent actual values. The levels below are what penetrates through the glass.

Front partition glass – 25%
Windshield – 0%
Front door glass – 0%
Moonroof – 0%
Rear privacy glass – 5%
Rear privacy quarter glass – 5%
Rear privacy glass – 0%

·
Registered
77 Posts
Got another quote from a different shop, which is just down the street from my home.

$900 for all the windows (4 doors + rear window). Windshield is $425. Pano-moonroof is $200.

Dang, California is too expensive. :(

·
Registered
265 Posts
Got another quote from a different shop, which is just down the street from my home.

$900 for all the windows (4 doors + rear window). Windshield is $425. Pano-moonroof is $200.

Dang, California is too expensive. :(
Are you saying they want $900 plus another $625 for everything? That’s wild.

As for why I picked 3M, I wanted something that reduced the heat and wouldn’t fade or change over time... something quality.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts