Subaru Ascent Forum banner

Tint the front windshield?

6K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  The Retired Viking 
#1 ·
I have been researching this and I cannot come to reliable conclusion. Can i get your experiences if you have done this please.? Thank you.

#2 ·
You will only read two differing opinions. Subaru states not to tint due to eyesight. Some that have done it state that they do not experience any eyesight problems. Of course there is a difference between total eyesight failure and a slower or innacurate response during a critical incident. Post incident, good luck tryingbto trase out to what degree eyesight may have been negatively impacted.

With this newer generation eyesight having the cameras right up against the windshield, there may be areas that could be tinted without eyesight degredation. I have not looked into it.

Realize that if you tint the windshield against Subaru"s declaration, you open yourself up to additional liabilty claims in an accident.

#7 ·
With this newer generation eyesight having the cameras right up against the windshield, there may be areas that could be tinted without eyesight degredation.
Everything to the extent legally allowed in each state (up to the housings, of course), since it won't be in front of the camera.

#3 ·
I've been looking at this as well, and the best compromise I've found is using the 90-95% VLT Clear Ceramic Films (non-metallic and meant to block IR transmission). The hard part is getting quality film without paying through the nose to an installer, and several firms have vastly different claims on heat reduction. the consensus from users is it really reduces heat, and so far no one has mentioned ill effects. Still, every point made above by Packout is valid and concerning, especially these days with so much litigation and insurance companies digging to find a reason not to pay out.

#4 ·
Subaru says no coatings at all on "current generation" Eyesight vehicles. As was noted, the next gen system that has the tri-camera setup with the devices right up to the glass may allow for this requirement to be relaxed. While there are folks that have "done the deed" and say they have not had issues, there's no way for them to actually know if they have compromised Eyesight in some way...it may be minor and normally unnoticeable, but...

#6 ·
I have seen the Eyesight data. There's an opinion, and there's fact. Tinting the windshield, just like wearing sunglasses at night, just like using darkening filters on a camera (like on my $10K camera rig); negatively affects image acquisition. That negatively affects Eyesight, day or night (far worse at night). That's what the data says. That's the fact.

What people experience is: not knowing that Eyesight is struggling to process a tint-degraded image, or that Eyesight reaction has slowed down. Eyesight doesn't complain - it just thinks it's really dark. But, the data is the tell.

Top is what goes into the camera, bottom is what the computer is looking at.
Car Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle

#9 ·
Consider that many states have regs against tinting, both where the tint is applied and the % of tinting. I was pulled over in TN and the trooper had an electronic measuring device and measured the passenger side front window. It read 25% (factory tint, I never did any tinting to the car) and it passed. Best to check the local regs first, and even then, you can be checked in another state, with different % values, as I was.

#11 ·
Personally, I'm not interested in tinting the windshield. I want to install ceramic film that focuses on blocking IR, not visible light. They can block 60-90% of the IR greatly reducing heat in the vehicle. They make clear ceramic film meant to allow all visible light through (as much as possible), but for the average consumer, getting 95%VLT is as best you can get. The clear ones are pro-install only and probably cost a fortune. I've messaged three local installers and can't get any response - since I said Subaru and not Lambo like they're used to working on I guess. So if Eyesight works on visible light I'd assume it would not cause much impact. I'll probably wait a few years, and try it out if the cost comes down. With the posts I see about the windshield chips, cracks, and replacements, I'd hate to spend $$$ getting it installed and have to replace it again.

#15 ·
I wonder how courts deal with visitors to their state who have legal tinting limits on their glass in their own state but illegal in the visited state. Are courts really taking the position you can not drive into the state with your what otherwise would be a legal glass tint and by virtue of crossing the state line is now illegal? Are they not being ticketed? Are they being ticketed and with a letter to the DA or court dismissed?

what are their expectations? certainly they do not expect for you to take off the tint and their visitors bureau would not take kindly to harassing visitors over this.

#16 ·
I am highly subject to skin cancer, so, I get the ceramic tint for the side windows. I go dark in the back windows, "Tennessee Legal" for driver and front passenger.

I had a virtually no-tint ceramic added to the windshield in a car, and, it turned smokey and nasty within a month or two. Good materials and good shop. My brother had the same experience. Just one old codger's opinion, but, I'd not do it.

#17 ·
There's pretty much no UVA or UVB transmittal through Subaru glass...

The vid shows which windows to worry about...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.