Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I was wondering how much time between between getting an email with your VIN number and actual delivery? My car was originally coming to the dealer on July 20th and then rescheduled for August 17th. I was told when I ordered it that SOA would inform me when my car was in production. I've heard nothing from them. I'm getting discouraged that I'll never get this car!

·
Registered
304 Posts
The VIN is generated when the vehicle is scheduled for production. It can be over 4 weeks before the car is completed and loaded on a truck. You'll get your vehicle, there are a lot of things behind the scenes that consumers don't know.

Example: I worked for KMMG several years ago and a vehicle that was produced might sit stuck behind several hundred-plus vehicles waiting on port installed options (port here is the manufacturing facility). If you opted for something like a tow hitch or anything like that, it might be sitting in queue waiting on that installation, or perhaps you ordered one that is in high demand (white, touring) and they're waiting on parts etc from a 3rd party.

They could very well have a giant lot full of ascents/outbacks/legacys and your vehicle is just stuck in line waiting on its turn to go through PIO and be loaded onto a truck/railcar. To give you an idea...

photo for learning purposes, not necessarily representative of anything mentioned in the above post:

·
Registered
357 Posts
there is a thread called the July push back crew some good info there, I am in the same boat you are waiting waiting waiting. Mine was set for delivery 8-6 now its today 8-14, and per SOA still hasn't actually been loaded on a truck so the wait continues.

Like Orestes85 said there are lots of reasons for the push backs does any of us like it NO but nothing we can do.....

·
Registered
26 Posts
there is a thread called the July push back crew some good info there, I am in the same boat you are waiting waiting waiting. Mine was set for delivery 8-6 now its today 8-14, and per SOA still hasn't actually been loaded on a truck so the wait continues.

Like Orestes85 said there are lots of reasons for the push backs does any of us like it NO but nothing we can do.....

That's quite interesting. I ordered in June, mine was also 8/6 then pushed to 8/14 and today nothing. No contact from my sales guy either.

·
Registered
411 Posts
That's quite interesting. I ordered in June, mine was also 8/6 then pushed to 8/14 and today nothing. No contact from my sales guy either.
I would contact SOA directly with your VON and see if they have more updates; I always feel bad bugging my sales guy.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Hi all,

I was wondering how much time between between getting an email with your VIN number and actual delivery? My car was originally coming to the dealer on July 20th and then rescheduled for August 17th. I was told when I ordered it that SOA would inform me when my car was in production. I've heard nothing from them. I'm getting discouraged that I'll never get this car!
Basically it's pretty simple. It'll get to you as soon as it can. I talked to someone a bit higher up in the food chain today about this, and how frustrated our customers are getting. Their goal is for this vehicle to be in our stable for a long time, AND to not repeat the same mistake we made with the Tribeca. So they're doing a LOT of inspections, not just on the finished car, but also on the inbound parts coming in from the vendors. There have also been some running redesign things and issues that have come up. (Go look at the complaints about one of the rear doors not opening properly.)

So this middle batch is simply taking a lot longer than originally anticipated. They'll get caught up, but it's just going to take time. And trust me, I feel your pain. I have two car for customers that were scheduled to be built June 29, with ETA of July 23. One was completed 08/02, still waiting to ship, the other was completed 08/04 and just shipped.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Basically it's pretty simple. It'll get to you as soon as it can. I talked to someone a bit higher up in the food chain today about this, and how frustrated our customers are getting. Their goal is for this vehicle to be in our stable for a long time, AND to not repeat the same mistake we made with the Tribeca. So they're doing a LOT of inspections, not just on the finished car, but also on the inbound parts coming in from the vendors. There have also been some running redesign things and issues that have come up. (Go look at the complaints about one of the rear doors not opening properly.)

So this middle batch is simply taking a lot longer than originally anticipated. They'll get caught up, but it's just going to take time. And trust me, I feel your pain. I have two car for customers that were scheduled to be built June 29, with ETA of July 23. One was completed 08/02, still waiting to ship, the other was completed 08/04 and just shipped.
Thanks for the insight!

·
Registered
357 Posts
As always thanks Carl, do you have any insight on the tourings taking longer than any other car ???

·
Registered
583 Posts

I was kind of mad when my first Ascent was “canceled” (search McKenna) on July 10 after ordering in February....,But now ,with all the things going on, I am glad my car will show up in Late September...Hopefully all these issues will be corrected by then...
SomeTimes things turn out for the best...., I hope....:rolleyes:

·
Registered
357 Posts
Higher demand. Nearly all of the orders we have are for Tourings, a few limiteds, and maybe one or two Premium.
Higher orders does not necessarily mean delay though, per SOA they are making customer cars first and then making the others.

Its the same car just the options are different and having a sunroof, there has to be something up with the tourings being delayed so heavily whether that be supply of parts or something just not going right.

Once again like when the new outback came out Subaru is overwhelmed with orders so maybe a few of us will get a Dyson out of this.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I was kind of mad when my first Ascent was “canceled” (search McKenna) on July 10 after ordering in February....,But now ,with all the things going on, I am glad my car will show up in Late September...Hopefully all these issues will be corrected by then...
SomeTimes things turn out for the best...., I hope....:rolleyes:
Agreed. I'm impatient as they come but I'm not sweating this delay. It's a good thing issues are being worked out.

·
Registered
965 Posts
As always thanks Carl, do you have any insight on the tourings taking longer than any other car ???
Percentage of model mix is skewed compared to our normal mix.

For example - looking at my inbound and ordered '19 Outbacks. Base model, 3 Premium options, 2 limited options, and touring. I have 2% base, 31% premium, 48% limited, and 19% touring.
My Ascent mix is running 37% Touring, 39% Limited, all the rest are premiums, but only 2 of those are actually order units, the rest of the premiums are just stock units. I have NO limited or touring coming in that aren't orders.

So it's pretty simple - they probably ordered parts based upon the normal expected mix, and when it's NOT the normal mix, you have issues. Back in the day, we were supposed to run a 50/50 mix of sedan / wagon. The line was balanced for that, and it was great when we'd run 2 sedan / 1 wagon, because it was just easier on us. When they'd run 1 sedan / 2 wagon ... or worse, 1 sedan / 3 wagon ... we ended up shutting the line down at least once every half hour just so we had time to catch up, because the wagons were a lot more work than the sedans. They probably balanced the line for a 50/50 Captains chair / bench seat production, because I'm sure the Captains chairs are harder to install. And other things - the rear camera, the front camera, and I'd bet the seat plant wasn't set for all that brown. If I were a betting man (oh, wait, I do play poker) I'd bet that we'll see issues for at least a few more months while they finish tweaking the production line AND the supply line.

·
Registered
9 Posts
After reading this, I'm wondering if my salesman is pulling my leg with a promised delivery date of September 4? This would be to Flow Subaru in Winston-Salem NC. I have a friend buying my 2018 Outback with just over 2,000 miles on it bought in March, and he needs "my" car ASAP. I have a VIN# on the car from the dealer: 4S4WMAPD4K3414120 BUT, built? Shipped? The car was listed in their inventory, but learned that it was "not on the lot" yet. Hmmmmm.... Might be in 10,000 itty-bitty pieces in assorted bins in Lafayette, Indiana! : ( - LongJnSilver - Ascent Limited, Ice Silver Metallic, loaded

·
Registered
23 Posts
So I ordered a Premium the end of July. Delivery is October. Since only 2 of the Premiums have an order, any chance that my order could be delivered sooner?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Great news! My car scheduled for Friday 8-17 came in today. Dealer called me around 11:00 AM and I picked it up this afternoon from Fitzgerald Subaru in Clearwater. All in all a very pleasant experience. This dealership really cares about the cars and their customers. I never did get the VIN sent to me though. I’m so excited to finally have the car. First impression from a 2007 Toyota Highlander Limited to the Ascent: more pick up, better response or feel to the road and less road noise. I loved my Highlander. Big learning curve still ahead with all the new technology compared to a 2007 car.

·
Registered
11 Posts
First impression from a 2007 Toyota Highlander Limited to the Ascent: more pick up, better response or feel to the road and less road noise. I loved my Highlander. Big learning curve still ahead with all the new technology compared to a 2007 car.
Congrats. I too am going from a 2007 Highlander Limited to the Ascent. I love my Highlander but it was time for a new vehicle. I’m an essential services employee of the state and must go to work even when the roads are closed. In the mountains of PA, that’s been quite a few times in the winter over the years and my Highlander has always gotten me there. A lot of my coworkers drive Subaru’s and swear by them in the snow. So I’m sure I’ve made the right choice in the Ascent.

I’ve got a “month of September” expected delivery on a Crystal White Pearl and can’t wait until I get her.

·
Registered
165 Posts
First impression from a 2007 Toyota Highlander Limited to the Ascent: more pick up, better response or feel to the road and less road noise. I loved my Highlander. Big learning curve still ahead with all the new technology compared to a 2007 car.
Congrats. I too am going from a 2007 Highlander Limited to the Ascent. I love my Highlander but it was time for a new vehicle. I’m an essential services employee of the state and must go to work even when the roads are closed. In the mountains of PA, that’s been quite a few times in the winter over the years and my Highlander has always gotten me there. A lot of my coworkers drive Subaru’s and swear by them in the snow. So I’m sure I’ve made the right choice in the Ascent.

I’ve got a “month of September” expected delivery on a Crystal White Pearl and can’t wait until I get her.
I'm from PA too, september eta Crimson Red Limited?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts