Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a 2019 Subaru Ascent. We noticed the thumping or knocking noise within the first 500 miles of driving on rough roads or uneven like pavement. We brought our car into the Service Department where car was purchased. They also could hear it on a test drive. Our Ascent was inspected and the mechanic could not find any problems with the suspension! We were sent away very frustrated with the noise still happening!! We took our Ascent to a different dealership and they were very willing to resolved the problem. The test drive was done with the mechanic, and he could hear the noise. What they did find were very worn brakes and rotors, only after 3000 miles on our car. Front brakes and rotors were replaced. We were asked to see if noise would be gone after driving some more miles, but no, noise came back. We are going to bring in our car again and push for new struts and bushings.. ....based on what I have read from this forum, I think this is the problem. We will see.
The dealership we are using now seems to be more willing to get to the bottom of the problem. I pray we will.
I traded in my awesome Forester for my Ascent. I had no problems ever with the Forester and felt it was a very reliable car. I hope my Ascent will be in the same category soon.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had both front struts replaced after only 3k miles. Same noise, happens at 25 to 35 mph and on rough roads. Luckily I had a good tech ride with me and he knew exactly what it was. Be firm with them and stand your ground.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We have a 2019 Subaru Ascent. We noticed the thumping or knocking noise within the first 500 miles of driving on rough roads or uneven like pavement. We brought our car into the Service Department where car was purchased. They also could hear it on a test drive. Our Ascent was inspected and the mechanic could not find any problems with the suspension! We were sent away very frustrated with the noise still happening!! We took our Ascent to a different dealership and they were very willing to resolved the problem. The test drive was done with the mechanic, and he could hear the noise. What they did find were very worn brakes and rotors, only after 3000 miles on our car. Front brakes and rotors were replaced. We were asked to see if noise would be gone after driving some more miles, but no, noise came back. We are going to bring in our car again and push for new struts and bushings.. ....based on what I have read from this forum, I think this is the problem. We will see.
The dealership we are using now seems to be more willing to get to the bottom of the problem. I pray we will.
I traded in my awesome Forester for my Ascent. I had no problems ever with the Forester and felt it was a very reliable car. I hope my Ascent will be in the same category soon.
UPDATE: 1/ 14/2020
We had our " noise" in the front right wheel area tested again by Subaru Service Department. It has been posted that there is a recurring problem with Ascents with poorly made Strut Coils. We will have both of ours replaced soon and hopefully this will take away the thumping noise. If anyone else is having this noise, get your car inspected. The mechanic did see wear on the coil struts, and he did hear the noise when driving the car. We are glad we are getting to the bottom of our problem! Otherwise I love my Ascent!!

·
Read Only
45 Posts
It's the struts. Happened to my 2018 Outback when it had around 27k miles. Don't let the dealership try to tell you anything else. Nissan just had a massive recall on a whole bunch of vehicles for struts. I think Subaru is heading that direction

1 - 4 of 4 Posts