Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, looking to pick up the Thule Crossbar Aero Extended, but can't find how wide they are anywhere. Does anyone know this? I'm hoping to get 2 bike racks and a thule cargo box up top and not sure if this will work or not.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I run 2 bikes and a thule box on these bars at 53 inches. I don’t see a width listed for Subaru bars.

ThuleARB53 53 InchAeroBlade Load Bars

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I run 2 bikes and a thule box on these bars at 53 inches. I don’t see a width listed for Subaru bars.

ThuleARB53 53 InchAeroBlade Load Bars
If the subaru Thule rack is at least this size, this is great news.

what size box do you have (18 or 21cuft)? And which bike rack are you using?

·
Registered
53 Posts
No bikes on but you can see the setup here. 1up trays now but also ran this box with thule criterium trays for several years on the same bars. Will measure box later. It’s a middle capacity model from around 2011.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Box pictured is about 34” wide. The bike trays have 38” of free space between.
Thanks for this. I really want the XXL box from Thule or the skybox21, but they are 35.5 - 36" wide. This would only leave 1" on either side before the bike rack. Might need to rethink and just get the next size down cargo box.

Family of 6, so trying to have 4 bikes on the hitch, 2 on the roof, and then enough storage space in the cargo box for everyone!

·
Registered
53 Posts
This will depend on the bike trays then. With my old Thule trays I was maxed out but with the one up trays I could easily open up the middle to 42 inches. Bike loading is a bit easier if I keep them narrow. Either way I keep a folding 16” step in the back.

I think you can still do it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts