Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
I have a Thule motion XT Large on my 2021 Ascent. I have some space to slide it either in the front or the back (without hitting the hatch door. I've attached two images of what it looks like on my stock crossbars. Can anyone with experience with cargo box recommend a position to minimize wind noise as well as giving the most efficient MPG? Should the cargo box sit more in the front or in the back? A thousand thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2022 Subaru ascent limited
97 Posts
So to be honest it does not really matter do what you like but I recommend in the front as to not disturb aerodynamics as much

Reactions: London

·
Registered
275 Posts
The directions for our Thule box was as far back as possible to help with aerodynamics. The windshield carries the wind over the box. Since we have a big sunroof, I didn’t want the crossbars in the center of the panels. So the front crossbar is set at the break between the the second panel starts. The rear crossbar is just after the end of the rear glass panel. The box is then positioned as far back as possible from there.

·
Registered
2021 Ascent Limited Black/Black
428 Posts
The directions for our Thule box was as far back as possible to help with aerodynamics. The windshield carries the wind over the box. Since we have a big sunroof, I didn’t want the crossbars in the center of the panels. So the front crossbar is set at the break between the the second panel starts. The rear crossbar is just after the end of the rear glass panel. The box is then positioned as far back as possible from there.
That's just what I was thinking of doing, so that the crossbars where as invisible as possible in regards to the moonroof. (we LOVE our moonroof!) And I think we'll probably only have the cargo box on there for long trips or when we head up to the mountain, but the crossbars I'll probably just leave on there all the time. Nice to know that that positioning works.

·
Registered
275 Posts
So ours isn’t as far back as it could but we didn’t notice any front of the box shaking. I’ve seen some to far forward end the wind is just catching it and making it shake especially if they are attached to flimsy crossbars.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, for the explaination. I'll try that same setup. Thank you :)

·
Registered
2022 Subaru ascent limited
97 Posts
That's just what I was thinking of doing, so that the crossbars where as invisible as possible in regards to the moonroof. (we LOVE our moonroof!) And I think we'll probably only have the cargo box on there for long trips or when we head up to the mountain, but the crossbars I'll probably just leave on there all the time. Nice to know that that positioning works.
yeah the moonroof is pretty awesome

Reactions: London

·
Registered
2021 Subaru Ascent Premium
3 Posts
Hi everyone,
I have a Thule motion XT Large on my 2021 Ascent. I have some space to slide it either in the front or the back (without hitting the hatch door. I've attached two images of what it looks like on my stock crossbars. Can anyone with experience with cargo box recommend a position to minimize wind noise as well as giving the most efficient MPG? Should the cargo box sit more in the front or in the back? A thousand thanks in advance!
For both MPG and good looks slam that bad boy as far back as you can without interfering with hatch operation. Putting your cargo box farther back also reduces cabin noise.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts