Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,
Been awhile since I've been on the forums, but had a question. I'm getting the hitch installed this week and I'm wanting to get a bike rack.

I'm looking at the Thule Apex XT Swing 4.

According to the fit sheet linked below, the pin hole depth needs to be 1.5in from the face of the receiver.
Fit sheet

Anyone use any of the Thule bike racks that require 1.5in on the Ascent or know what the actual depth is?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
On the factory hitch, I measure about 1.25~1.38" from the center of the pin hole to the face of the receiver. It is definitely less than 1.5". It looks like that limitation is due to the design of the Thule stinger. I haven't seen a limitation like that on a number of other racks I've looked at.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
On the factory hitch, I measure about 1.25~1.38" from the center of the pin hole to the face of the receiver. It is definitely less than 1.5".
Hmm. Thanks.

I'm debating. I can't imagine that no one is using Thule hitch racks on an Ascent. And would ~1/8 of an inch truly make that big of a difference?

·
Registered
270 Posts
It looks like that limitation is due to the design of the Thule stinger. I haven't seen a limitation like that on a number of other racks I've looked at.
I think you are right, the swing arm apparatus is probably solid, thus heavy. Most likely, if you are carrying a sub 18 lb carbon road bike you would be fine.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think you are right, the swing arm apparatus is probably solid, thus heavy. Most likely, if you are carrying a sub 18 lb carbon road bike you would be fine.
Well I don't think I'm going to have that :) I have a mountain bike and a kids bike, but eventually I will probably have 2 adult bikes and 2 kids bikes. I still wouldn't think 1/8 would mean THAT much.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts