Subaru Ascent Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,533 Posts
BroDoze, please clarify COBB AP and Stg1 87+. Thanks!
My friends at @COBB Tuning can clarify.

Just check out the COBB Tuning posts on the forum, or their website at COBB Tuning - Performance Car Tuning | COBB Tuning

But, basically, their tunes adjust not just performance (some of them are performance) but also throttle management, which many have found makes it easier to more moderately use the gas pedal. They even have a dedicated fuel economy tune for the Ascent.

Not just is their stuff great, but their support is stellar.

·
Registered
126 Posts
BroDoze, please clarify COBB AP and Stg1 87+. Thanks!
Read this thread here:

·
Registered
651 Posts
It's an aftermarket ECU tuner. Many benefits - smoother power delivery, better gas mileage, more power/torque, poo-eating grin a lot of the time. It can potentially void power train warranties, depending on dealer and affected parts, should an issue ever arise, FYI. This can also be mitigated.

EDIT: What Robert said.

So I had the opportunity to grab some lunch and I tested the car and yes, it still does have the same power drop on turns behavior, but it is much less annoying than the stock setup.

·
Registered
49 Posts
When I bought my 2013 Volvo S60 R-Design, the "R-Design" meant that special tuning from the Polestar company was applied to the car, as well as some suspension and other mods. Why can't we ask Subaru to make available something like that, from Cobb preferably, for those owners that want it. They can test and ensure that it can be warrantible. Even if we have to pay extra for this, why not at least offer it? Seems they should be seeing all the complaints and frustrations over how hard it is to smoothly accelerate and to get better gas mileage--it seems almost negligent when you look at all the Subaru ads touting the environment and nature. I'm debating whether to buy the Cobb or not, and probably will--but since I plan on keeping the car for 10 years, am just a bit concerned over warranty. Subaru providing this in partnership should eliminate that fear.

·
Registered
651 Posts
^^ Especially when Subaru is well known to have some of the worst stock tunes on their turbocharged vehicles. The Ascent really is an exception to the rule. They actually have a pretty decent / safe stock tune.

·
Registered
126 Posts
There is no way subaru will accept any sort of ECU tuning period... they've been thru this years ago with the wrx. They know how some owners beat the hell out of the engine/vehicle. Dream all you want it's never going to happen. Knowing this, just use Cobb as it's designed for the Ascent and if you need to bring it in for whatever then you have to re-flash. This is a SUV after all and not a race car.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Every car loses power on turns, that's just the mechanical efficiency of transferring torque at an angle. I never felt it personally, but I guess when it tries to save gas and lowers the rpms, and on top of that you are on a tight turn you might feel the torque you wanted on the wheel isn't there. Just pressing the throttle will get you more torque. If the car decided to lower your rpms it's probably because you had a very mild throttle anyway.

Full disclosure, I also use the COBB AP with the 93 map so perhaps I don't feel it because of that.

·
Registered
94 Posts
"Full disclosure, I also use the COBB AP with the 93 map so perhaps I don't feel it because of that."
Just wondering how your MPG went after the Cobb AP with 93 Map? Up or Down. I mean after you enjoyed it for awhile!!

·
Registered
717 Posts
I'm almost out of warranty anyway, so a Cobb won't affect my warranty. Still pondering due to crappy AZ gas. I can't run the high grade tune, so "stuck" with the 87+ and even then probably need to run premium!

I WANT to.... just not sure if I should :D

·
Registered
232 Posts
"Full disclosure, I also use the COBB AP with the 93 map so perhaps I don't feel it because of that."
Just wondering how your MPG went after the Cobb AP with 93 Map? Up or Down. I mean after you enjoyed it for awhile!!
I honestly didn't measure it scientifically at all. I think it's about the same but I get extra torque, and I use it. There was one instance where I got 24mpg city overall but I think it was an outlier because it was a Sunday drive with nowhere to go, so my driving style was way more relaxed than usual.
Now my question to you is: at these gas prices, who cares about 1 or 2 mpg difference?
If you drive 1 year (let's say 10000 miles) at 20mpg average you'll use 500 gallons.
At 22mpg you'll use 454.5 gallons. Assume $2.80 for a gallon of 93 you'll save $127.27. In a whole year! Not even worth the time it takes to do the analysis.

·
Registered
38 Posts
You all pretty much covered it, but in case it's helpful, some of what feels like lag is the CVT transmission "shifting", which it often does when it sees you have pressed down on the accelerator pedal. The turbo actually responds very quickly on the Ascent. That's not to say lag is non existent, but most delays in torque delivery on the car don't actually seem to be from turbo lag. There is some damping of throttle inputs by the electronics, plus the transmission behavior, which can feel just like turbo lag sometimes.

Mike @ COBB

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'm almost out of warranty anyway, so a Cobb won't affect my warranty. Still pondering due to crappy AZ gas. I can't run the high grade tune, so "stuck" with the 87+ and even then probably need to run premium!

I WANT to.... just not sure if I should :D
Go for it! In CA 91 is the best available and the 87 tune is still fun as heck. From what some have said, Cobb can confirm, even the 87 tune will adapt to and perform better with better gas, so i've been running 91.

Some day I'll get a few bottles of octane booster and try flashing the 93 maps, but I'm happy as a clam now...

·
Registered
717 Posts
Go for it! In CA 91 is the best available and the 87 tune is still fun as heck. From what some have said, Cobb can confirm, even the 87 tune will adapt to and perform better with better gas, so i've been running 91.

Some day I'll get a few bottles of octane booster and try flashing the 93 maps, but I'm happy as a clam now...
Of course right now I've been working from home so in the last 3 weeks I've put a whole 2 miles on the car. Ran to the local hotel furniture closeout store to buy another office desk for our home office. Couldn't take the Tesla as we needed the cargo space! :D

But yes, I'll probably get that and the offroad skid plates and maybe the lift kit before summer if Robert's trip is still on to go offroading in Utah.

·
Super Moderator
6,533 Posts
Of course right now I've been working from home so in the last 3 weeks I've put a whole 2 miles on the car. Ran to the local hotel furniture closeout store to buy another office desk for our home office. Couldn't take the Tesla as we needed the cargo space! :D

But yes, I'll probably get that and the offroad skid plates and maybe the lift kit before summer if Robert's trip is still on to go offroading in Utah.
I sure as heck hope it is. I want to get the Shafer Canyon camping spot again, and use that as a base of operations.

·
Registered
651 Posts
My cars have never stayed this clean, lol. I'm bored so, I just wash them again, and fill 'em with gas again even though they're full. I desperately need a fun car again to wrench on. C'mon Gen2 BRZ - let's get a turbo this time.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
1,528 Posts

·
Registered
717 Posts
What's going down faster, the price of gas or the value of my stock portfolio?

LOL, I just decided to get back into stocks. So I've bought a boatload of different stocks at around 25% of it's usual value or so. Now just have to be patient for it to recover :D

21 - 39 of 39 Posts