Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am debating winter wheels. I found these which are Italian made, they are slightly more expensive than Chinese counterparts.

They are also quite a bit heavier, about 6# per wheel heavier than other wheels of the size. I don't know what that says about them... (30# vs like 24#). They tilt cast, which I don't know much about. That may be the cause of the added weight over pressure cast.

https://www.tirerack.com/wheels/WheelCloseUpServlet?target=runWheelSearch&initialPartNumber=WI15880511445TG&wheelMake=RADIUS&wheelModel=WI15&wheelFinish=Titanium%20Gunmetal&showRear=no&autoMake=Subaru&autoModel=Ascent&autoYear=2019&autoModClar=Premium

· Registered
253 Posts
What I like is that Tirerack has a picture of the Ascent now that can show the wheels. They are probably heavier due to the necessary heavier weight rating, but that's just a guess. Obviously you want to keep un-sprung weight down as much as possible for the best handling characteristics.

· Administrator
13,223 Posts
Racing Dynamics started out making rims and accessories for generally lighter BMWs, so, I'd contact Tire Rack for the load rating.

My suggestion is to make sure it's at least 1,800 pounds. Your stock tires are 1,874 pounds for the 20" and 2,079 for the 18" tires. Those both exceed the GAWR-R (which is the "heavier" end). A rating of 1,800 or above, satisfies the max rear axle load rating of 3,296 pounds with a little safety margin.

At max loading on the rear axle, each side in the rear would average out to 1,648 pounds, but that means perfectly balancing any loads. So, the extra 152 pounds of the 1,800 pound rating I recommend gives you a safety margin for loads that shifted left to right or even from the front to behind the axle.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.