Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
This is my first visit to this site, so I apologize if there is a better section to have posted this in. I tried to search the site for results to this question but had no luck.

I am test driving a 2019 Ascent tomorrow. It was a Subaru buy back due to the known transmission issues, but the entire transmission has since been replaced.
If purchased, it would still be eligible for the initial 3y/ 36k bumper to bumper warranty (through June 2022) and powertrain through 5y/60k (2024), but is not considered certified preowned because of the lemon classification.

It has around 8000 miles and priced very competitively. I typically keep my vehicles for 8-10 years, so future buy back value is not a huge concern of mine.

I am just curious of peoples experiences or knowledge of how these vehicles have done after having the transmission replaced.

Thank you!

·
Registered
28 Posts
I had a 2020. My transmission was making noises. Subaru says it was completely normal as most say on this forum. I ended up trading it in with 10k miles for a new tundra. And I haven’t looked back. That was my third Subaru. First two had 400k miles and 200k miles but I’m not a fan of these new CVT transmissions.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had a 2020. My transmission was making noises. Subaru says it was completely normal as most say on this forum. I ended up trading it in with 10k miles for a new tundra. And I haven’t looked back. That was my third Subaru. First two had 400k miles and 200k miles but I’m not a fan of these new CVT transmissions.
Thanks for the quick answer. I appreciate it.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,896 Posts
but I’m not a fan of these new CVT transmissions.
It's ok to not be a fan of CVTs, but...they are not "new". The specific model used in the Ascent has been in use for almost 12 years now by Subaru.
----

OP, if the original issue likely caused by the harness problem with the vehicle was resolved by the transmission replacement, you should be good to go and having that original warranty period still in force is a nice deal.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Yeah. I was leery of these newfangled CVTs,... like 15 years ago. I was not concerned with it on the Ascent. The problem with the Ascent's CVT was an improper electrical connection in a wiring harness which can fail and damage the transmission. So yeah, it's a transmission failure, but not due to a mechanical failure or something wearing out. It's due to modern transmissions being electronically computer controlled and an electrical connection failing.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah. I was leery of these newfangled CVTs,... like 15 years ago. I was not concerned with it on the Ascent. The problem with the Ascent's CVT was an improper electrical connection in a wiring harness which can fail and damage the transmission. So yeah, it's a transmission failure, but not due to a mechanical failure or something wearing out. It's due to modern transmissions being electronically computer controlled and an electrical connection failing.
So to have the system replaced and the connection repaired, one would expect a safe ride & long life for the vehicle?

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Ascent CVTs that didn't have that harness failure have been solid. Since the one you're looking at has had the CVT and harness replaced, I'd expect it to be solid too.

You may be aware that Subaru issued a recall where they performed some tests and did a TCU update on VINs with the suspect harness. They did not replace the transmission or harness if they tested OK at that time, but they did extend the transmission warranty to 100K. I have one of those.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Tundra lives forever.. just a gas drinker but it's an awesome truck. Got to watch out for cam tower leaks and diff leaks but otherwise it's a tank. Wish I hadn't sold mine but it's just a vehicle.

I'm not fan of the cvt too but it gets decent gas for an SUV.

·
Registered
21 Ascent Premium, 18 Outback Ltd 2.5
416 Posts
Ask the dealer to throw in a 0 deductible gold plus extended warranty for the max term you can get (IMO at least 100k). That's assuming the vehicle will qualify sine its a lemon, but seeing as the factory warranty still applies, it should qualify for the gold plus.

·
Registered
932 Posts
I also second that. Get the dealer to throw in the 10/100/$0 deductible plan and you have nothing to worry about for 10 years.

Reactions: rlb81

·
Registered
198 Posts
Hi Kelli,

I had my transmission replaced on my 2019 Ascent around November of 2019. So far, my Ascent has behaving itself. I believe we put 4k miles on the new transmission and it seems solid. I am hopeful the Ascent will lasts at least 8~10 years before we look for something else.

In addition to asking for a free extended warranty (MAKE SURE IT IS A SUBARU EXTENDED WARRANTY and not a dealer one!!), see if you can also ask the dealer to provide the detailed information on what was changed as part of the transmission replacement. There is a thread somewhere that shows what exactly was done when they had their transmission replaced (parts, fluids used etc.).

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I highly doubt anyone's opinion here will sway you in one direction or another simply because the info are hearsay, not necessary representative of the car you're interested in. I'll cut to the crap, I believe the only two metrics of your decision is to confirm that:

1. the tranny was in fact replaced and checked by a senior mechanic at that time; and
2. the current fluid level is proper.

·
Administrator
10,986 Posts
Ensure:
  • The harness was replaced
  • The proper CVT fluid was used
  • The flush kit was used to flush the cooling lines and radiator
  • The TSB was addressed for the TCM reprogram (may not be applicable, depending on when the CVT and TCM were built)
You can verify all of that by asking to see the service order details (and, if need be, sharing those details, sans any customer information, here, for review).

If that was done, I'd have no worries about purchasing it.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
You mentioned that it is "competitively priced." Does that mean priced comparably with other Ascents of similar age and mileage? I would want to get a nice "discount" for taking that car off their hands, maybe a $2,000 discount. You probably will not have an issue with the transmission going forward.

We owned a new Toyota Camry and the transmission failed in 6K miles. It was replaced with a brand new one. Never had another problem.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks everyone for the feedback so far. I test drove the car yesterday. Its a 2.4 T Limited w/ the technology package. Leather, heated everything, etc. Priced around 32,000. They sounded agreeable to the gold plus extended Subaru warranty. Its been on the lot for a while so I am hopeful they would throw that in for me.

I had them show me the work that was done... I don't know what most of this means but including the information for those more knowledgeable. This was all listed on the report.

OBDII Reprogramming, Engine Control Module -update
CVT Assembly
19 Ascent Fuel Pump Replacement (recall)
Direct Fuel Injector Assay
Ascent CVT Chain Slip - recall, update
ECU Reprogramming C1424 - recall, update

Does anyone see any problems or does this information open up any additional questions I should be asking?

So thankful to have found this group!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ensure:
  • The harness was replaced
  • The proper CVT fluid was used
  • The flush kit was used to flush the cooling lines and radiator
  • The TSB was addressed for the TCM reprogram (may not be applicable, depending on when the CVT and TCM were built)
You can verify all of that by asking to see the service order details (and, if need be, sharing those details, sans any customer information, here, for review).

If that was done, I'd have no worries about purchasing it.
I posted the service details I got below. I’d so appreciate your feedback. Thanks!

·
Registered
455 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the CVT especially due to the warranty and if they throw in the extra one. What are other similar models going for though? It's newish but technically used. 32000 sounds like a lot.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I wouldn't worry about the CVT especially due to the warranty and if they throw in the extra one. What are other similar models going for though? It's newish but technically used. 32000 sounds like a lot.
Similar models without leather, etc., in my area are going for 34-36k.
New versions of this one are 45k or more.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.