Subaru Ascent Forum banner

Thoughts on my Ascent at 20,000

10K views 57 replies 35 participants last post by  The Retired Viking 
#1 ·
I have 20,000 on my '21 Ascent. I'm going to lay out some points I have noticed. Some will agree, some will bash, but it's my focus group of one. Both good and bad.

I am in Metro Atlanta where the average road speed is 78-80. You will literally get run over at 70 on all sides. The car holds that speed well from a power standpoint, but out of the hole, it doesnt' have enough guts to merge in most cases when getting on the freeway and the fake shifts? Awful.

As I've said before, the mileage gets better the faster I drive. If I drive at 80, I'm consistently getting 24-25. If I drive at 70, I get 23.

I never use cruise because the algorithim keeps it out of overdrive and that raises RPM almost 500rpm which drops mileage by 2mpg--that just P*sses me off because as soon as I disengage and use my foot, it drops the gear down and holds speed just fine, so it's just not necessary.

The steering in this car is terrible. With the tires set at 33 and lane keeping off, I find the steering so sensitive at roadspeed that I am continually running over reflectors on the strips and have trouble staying in my lane. It's the worst car I've ever experienced at this in over 35 years of driving. My wife has the same issue so it's not me. Any little bump or pothole upsets the car on the highway.

The interior has held up well, but the seats are still rock hard and passengers have commented on it. I literally go numb after 60 miles in my left leg. \

The carpet is pretty thin----I am showing signs of the carpet wearing through in some spots on the drivers side, even with the rubber mat options.

I still fumble with the ergonomics after 18 months. The controls to me are just not intuitive (Cruise, environment, the switches for the info screen). I've never had a car that did not become intuitive. As a reference, I rented a Tahoe on business this week and have never driven one or really any Chevy products---I had the controls memoried by day 3.

It's pretty quiet at roadspeed and around town, it's well behaved except on steep hill starts, then the transmission hunts like crazy.

Interior space is good.

Entry and exit is easy, so that's something.

I wish I could give a better report out, but all of those things individually could be dealt with, collectively they add up. What else can I say.

It has multiple personality disorder...some days I really like it other days, it's just a different vehicle.

See less See more
#2 ·
Obviously a lot of things are very subjective, and so much can depend on what other cars one is used to, etc. That said, though, I've been on this forum long enough to sometimes wonder whether or not Subaru has some serious quality control issues. So often it seems like people are talking about totally different cars on this forum, and I often wish there was a quick easy way where a lot of us could swap cars for a day or an hour or something to see if it's individual Ascents that are that different or if it really is just a matter of differing opinions.
Like the steering, as mentioned above, in my Ascent it is ridiculously easy to drive, no problem whatsoever staying in my lane at any speed, and I can't imagine anyone borrowing my Ascent to have troubles there either. Then there's the "guts" that for me are ridiculously more than enough in any situation I've encountered. When I need it to, my Ascent takes off like a friggin' rocket, and anyother family member who has driven it has said the same thing. Really wish we could trade for a day and then know if one Ascent to the next can actually be pretty darn different in a lot of respects, or if it is just a matter of really different opinions of the exact same vehicles.

#22 ·
When I need it to, my Ascent takes off like a friggin' rocket
+1 Same here. We're driving a 2020 Ascent and it will pin you back when needed, right off the mark.

it may or may not apply but 2019 was the 1st year of Ascent, right?
There's a thought that it is better getting a new model, the 2nd year after introduced.
Possibly correcting / fixes or tweaking things after the initial release.

#3 ·
I am in Metro Atlanta where the average road speed is 78-80. You will literally get run over at 70 on all sides. The car holds that speed well from a power standpoint, but out of the hole, it doesnt' have enough guts to merge in most cases when getting on the freeway and the fake shifts? Awful.

As I've said before, the mileage gets better the faster I drive. If I drive at 80, I'm consistently getting 24-25. If I drive at 70, I get 23.
First person I've heard of who has successfully defied the laws of physics! Or, maybe you got worse MPG at 70 MPH because you were constantly getting run over. "On all sides." :rolleyes:

#7 ·
I have 20,000 on my '21 Ascent. I'm going to lay out some points I have noticed. Some will agree, some will bash, but it's my focus group of one. Both good and bad.

I never use cruise because the algorithim keeps it out of overdrive and that raises RPM almost 500rpm which drops mileage by 2mpg--that just P*sses me off because as soon as I disengage and use my foot, it drops the gear down and holds speed just fine, so it's just not necessary.

The steering in this car is terrible. With the tires set at 33 and lane keeping off, I find the steering so sensitive at roadspeed that I am continually running over reflectors on the strips and have trouble staying in my lane. It's the worst car I've ever experienced at this in over 35 years of driving. My wife has the same issue so it's not me. Any little bump or pothole upsets the car on the highway.

The interior has held up well, but the seats are still rock hard and passengers have commented on it. I literally go numb after 60 miles in my left leg. \

The carpet is pretty thin----I am showing signs of the carpet wearing through in some spots on the drivers side, even with the rubber mat options.

I still fumble with the ergonomics after 18 months. The controls to me are just not intuitive (Cruise, environment, the switches for the info screen). I've never had a car that did not become intuitive. As a reference, I rented a Tahoe on business this week and have never driven one or really any Chevy products---I had the controls memoried by day 3.

It's pretty quiet at roadspeed and around town, it's well behaved except on steep hill starts, then the transmission hunts like crazy.

Interior space is good.

I wish I could give a better report out, but all of those things individually could be dealt with, collectively they add up. What else can I say.

It has multiple personality disorder...some days I really like it other days, it's just a different vehicle.
I’m on my 30k miles on my 19 ascent and for sure I don’t like the steering feel! It is too light that I felt like the car is always swerving!

#9 ·
For the steering part, it is definitely more sensitive compare to other vehicles in this segment because of the low steering ratio. The Ascent has a steering ratio of 13.5:1 compare to 16.0:1 from the Honda Pilot and Nissan Pathfinder. If you compare it to the Toyota 4Runner, that has a 18.4:1 steering ratio which is very slow to react on steering input. On the other hand, I appreciate the Ascent's quick steering ratio because it takes less effort when you're doing a U-turn or a 3-point turn. Also, a quicker steering ratio will also help you dodge any unexpected event happen in front of you faster since you will need less steering input to get yourself away from it.

#10 ·
I concur with the steering comments of the OP.

It seems that if I breathe on my steering wheel the car moves.

The steering takes very little effort but I also think there is something else that makes it prone to un-commanded lane excursions.

Of the various wheel alignment specs, I wonder which one affects this most.

Is it possible that setting that spec to the far side of the range might help?

#11 ·
Interesting to see I'm not the only one with steering issues. I have driven other Ascents. I have a friend who has had a 19 and a 22. His 19 was a rock, his '22 is twitchy--he even asked me about it....stating it didn't feel like the same car--i drove them both and agree. Lane centering makes it worse. It's fine below 50 and it doesnt' pull so that makes me think it's the assist ratio. Maybe the tires from the factory don't play nice with the physics of the car---that's been known to happen. The turning radius also drives me nuts. My Sequoia will do a U-turn where the Ascent is a 3pt turn.

#13 ·
I didn’t notice any difficulty keeping my 21 in a lane but I agree about the turning radius, the Ascent feels bigger than it is when doing a u turn. Also agree about lane centering, pretty much useless, I’ve been told I might be fighting it so I just tried to let it drive on it’s own until it complains and it drives like a drunk driver, tried giving it minimal input and still drives like a drunk, it also tries to stay way to close to the left lane which is not ideal in two way roads.

#12 ·
I find the steering so sensitive at roadspeed that I am continually running over reflectors on the strips and have trouble staying in my lane. It's the worst car I've ever experienced at this in over 35 years of driving.
And passing semis, crosswinds and headwinds make it into a white knuckle experience. I always feel like people behind me just thin I'm drunk the way the car won't track a straight line.
Of the various wheel alignment specs, I wonder which one affects this most.
Caster is a big one. It's what provides the self-centering on-center. In my other car, if I take it into an empty lot and turn the wheel 90° then let go of the wheel the wheel re-centers and stays there (hands still off the wheel). In the Ascent, do the same thing and the wheel doesn't return stably to center, it wavers left and right (LKA is off).

I've told the dealer about this on 2 separate visits, the 2nd time they did a courtesy alignment. The caster left was 3.2° before and after; caster right was 3.5° before and after alignment. Either they don't include caster in their alignment or it isn't adjustable in the Ascent. I haven't checked.

The only specs that changed after alignment were front and rear toe.

#14 ·
I am in Metro Atlanta where the average road speed is 78-80. You will literally get run over at 70 on all sides. The car holds that speed well from a power standpoint, but out of the hole, it doesnt' have enough guts

You should try mine 06 B-9 Tribeca . That lady IS underpowered. But not mine Ascent.

#16 ·
I actually was driving a straight stretch of highway once. I held the wheel so still that the warning "to keep your hands on the steering wheel" popped up.

As for the sensitivity, it seems great when driving a winding highway along the coastline. Other SUVs that are normally on my tail disappear in the rearview mirror as I corner at within speed limits much like a video game. They only catch up to me on the straight stretches.

I guess you just get used to a certain style of driving either tighter or loser steering response. Some brands let you tune this with a dial for their electric power steering assist.

I am curious as to how the driving dynamics may differ with the newer models that have lane centering function.

#28 ·
I actually was driving a straight stretch of highway once. I held the wheel so still that the warning "to keep your hands on the steering wheel" popped up.
☝ This is what happens to me. I basically "rest" my arms on the steering wheel and the car goes straight as a bullet. It complains all the time that I'm not making any input but why would I need to?
I wonder if it could be a problem with alignment of the vehicle?

#17 ·

Interior space is good.

I’ll agree with the transmission sucking. I’ve driven heavier, larger and more powerful vehicles that average better fuel returns than this. It’s moderately disappointing considering it only grosses 260hp. I recently drove the I29 corridor in South Dakota and the speed limit is 80mph. Had a 30mph head wind and my Thule Motion XL roof topper on. While driving sustained at 85-87mph I noticed that the transmission started to slip after about 30 minutes of driving. The engine would start revving higher but my speed and load wasn’t changing. I could watch the instant mpg readout stay the same. Ever since then my vehicle hasn’t felt the same. I have a 21 Touring and I bought the extended warranty. I’ll drive the wheels off of this thing then sell it to get my moneys worth.

#20 ·
While driving sustained at 85-87mph I noticed that the transmission started to slip after about 30 minutes of driving. The engine would start revving higher but my speed and load wasn’t changing. I could watch the instant mpg readout stay the same. Ever since then my vehicle hasn’t felt the same.
You need to take it to your dealer service department and have them both pull the codes and test it. If your transmission is actually slipping, they will replace it.

#18 ·
This is the most relatable post as I also feel the same exact way about EVERYTHING the OP posted. Its a great car, but I can't say that I love my 2019 Touring.

Cons:
The fake shifting from the CVT drives me nuts!
The felt/carpet is wearing in and around all entry/exit points
Carplay has never worked correctly, even when I'm plugged in directly, Pandora always tries to override all my other apps (waze, spotify, etc)
Steering feels really loose and I don't feel fully connected to the road
Constantly worried that if I leave the trunk open too long, I'll have a dead battery
I've been having a shudder in my brake pedal when i'm going 80 mph and I need to brake hard or when the car is fully loaded going down hill and I have to brake. Dealer cant replicate this issue :/

Pros:
Peppy enough to haul the family around town and take small trips, but not confident enough to overtake someone
Great space, even for the third row for a mid size SUV
Appreciate the hidden compartment space to put away/hide the trunk cover and other essentials
Why are there so many cup holders? lol
AWD
Mileage doesn't suffer with our cargo box ontop of the car

Reactions: akc5247
#19 ·
I’m not a Suba-phile. I drive a Honda Ridgeline and it’s a pretty good truck. My wife drives a 2019 Ascent Limited with 40,000+ miles. Every time she lets me drive it I love the experience. It handles well, excellent acceleration, comfortable drive, and decent fuel consumption for an AWD vehicle. Over 3 years of driving and no repairs. I’m sorry for those having problems with their Ascents but if she decides to buy a new one down the road she won’t get an argument from me.

Interior space is good.

#21 ·
I have lurked on this forum for a longtime without posting. I have a 21 ascent with 18,000 miles 5,000 of which are towing. I live in the San Bernardino mountains in Southern California and constantly drive the car over 8k feet in intense summer heat and ice cold snowy roads. This is my 6th Subaru and I currently own a 17 Forester and an 03 WRX both are manual.

The Ascent IS NOT a slow car. My transmission does not false shift under normal driving conditions including towing small trailers. In fact my vehicle to use the CVT in such a way that I can accelerate with no Rpm change at many speeds. My car gets relatively poor MPG but so does my manual forester.

90% of drivability complaints on this forum come from 2 things. First, an inability for people to learn how to use the throttle on the Ascent. Second, the common tendency for people to be re-active rather than active drivers.

Some common issues like the higher revs without acceleration while on an incline mimics a proactive way to drive a MT on certain types of inclines. It prevents the need to excessively downshift while simultaneously allowing for quick engine braking. This means you can adjust your speed with precision and little mechanical influence by properly managing your throttle.

If more people could get control of their throttle input most driving problems would disappear on this car. But because people can’t, Subaru probably needs to make adjustments to the throttle in future models. The same goes for steering. It’s light but nowhere near scary or bad. I blast up mountain roads with nothing but control on the Ascent all the time.

#34 ·
… I currently own a 17 Forester and an 03 WRX both are manual…
… the common tendency for people to be re-active rather than active drivers.
I tell people this all the time! Most would consider me an aggressive driver but I call it active driving. Most of the same people would likely be surprised what their ETA and mpg’s do when anticipating changing lanes to maintain speed takes precedence over pulling up behind someone then figuring out the maneuver.
I’m convinced the mentality comes from driving a manual and not wanting to downshift more than necessary

Optimum mileage of 28 mph can be achieved at around 55. Please slow down, my friend, or you may be killed. Speed kills.
You’re not necessarily wrong and I’m not advocating excessive speeding, BUT what is dangerous is the speed delta. It is very dangerous when one person is doing 55 with everyone else doing 80.

#24 ·
a tepid Service Dept experience will sour anybody, no matter what brand of car. I was semi-fortunate with my years of VW ownership to have a tight service dept. connection. But Subaru has been hit and miss. The 'better' dealership/service dept's are both an hour away, in opposite directions. BUT! it's worth the drive. I just had a very good experience at Liberty Subaru service dept, Emerson, NJ. Will continue with them in the foreseeable future.

Reactions: akc5247
#25 ·

I found my Ascent to have plenty of power whenever I needed it. Are you saying at full throttle it doesn't have enough power to safely merge onto the freeway? If so, get it checked, as there is clearly something wrong with your car. If I used full throttle I would easily be doing triple digits by the time I got to the end of the ramp.

I have to agree on the fake shifts as I find them extremely annoying. I have to wonder who thought that was a good idea. I traded off my Ascent and the Outback is on the way out as well and a lot of it has to do with the fake shifting.

#42 ·
I found my Ascent to have plenty of power whenever I needed it. Are you saying at full throttle it doesn't have enough power to safely merge onto the freeway? If so, get it checked, as there is clearly something wrong with your car. If I used full throttle I would easily be doing triple digits by the time I got to the end of the ramp.

I have to agree on the fake shifts as I find them extremely annoying. I have to wonder who thought that was a good idea. I traded off my Ascent and the Outback is on the way out as well and a lot of it has to do with the fake shifting.
They employ fake shifts because they hold specific tension on the CVT creating a specific ratio. Problem with CVTs is torque and allowing it to be continuously variable puts a lot more stress on the chain and prematurely wears it out. So they employ a CVT to maximize mileage but eliminate the C part under torque loads.

#26 ·

Interior space is good.

I've got a 2020 Ascent Touring with 17,000 miles and have none of the issues you described. The seats are comfortable and as for the rugs , I've installed rubber mats on day 1. The mileage could be better, but we don't need to drive 80 MPH to get to point be. The 7 seat interior keeps the grandchildren in the back and the 2 yr old behind the driver seat and "Grandma" next to him. I also like the passenger sunshades. Maybe it's time you buy the Lincoln Navigator, built for heavy weights

#31 ·
Consumer Reports currently ranks the Ascent as the least reliable Subaru vehicle being produced. I have always had a high impression of the Ascent, and have wanted one for some time. Not sure why it gets no love from CR.
The answer is at least partially because they haven't adjusted their overall ratings for more recent model years from the initial issues in the first model year. Ascent certainly isn't problem free, but MY21 and MY22 have been "in the real world" less problematic than MY19 and at least some of MY20. This CR thing has had much discussion here in the past couple of years.

#32 ·

Interior space is good.

With all due respect regarding you getting better mileage by driving at 80 versus 70, I don't believe it. Optimum mileage of 28 mph can be achieved at around 55. Please slow down, my friend, or you may be killed. Speed kills.

#36 ·
I have a 21 Ascent with 25,000 miles. So far in the year and 4 months that I have owned it, it has spent 31 days in the shop. It spent 25 days in the shop for a factory oil leak. The car spent another week in the shop for a turbo solenoid that was bad. It has a problem with the driver's seat where it pops and creaks. SA will not replace the seat. It has awful turbo lag off of the starting line and the transmission is always hunting gears down low. I have driven many turbo'ed cars and the lag on this is worse than my 7.3 diesel and that thing takes forever to spool. My wife hates the steering in it to the point that she refuses to drive it.

Overall the fit and finish of this car is poor. It has rattles and creaks in the driver's door. I am coming from an Outback and based on the quality issues, I would have a hard time recommending this current version of the Ascent. The positives are that it gets really good mileage for the size. It has a huge interior. The interior is relatively quiet when you can get past the rattles in the door, seat, and dash. We are in the market for another vehicle for my wife, and as a long-time Subaru fan, our next vehicle will not be an Ascent.

#37 ·

Interior space is good.

We also have a 2021 Ascent (Limited). I have to say that we agree that the car feels like it swerves on the freeway. We took it back to the dealer twice and they said it was driving normally. Something to do with the type of steering it has…We have gotten used to it but don’t love it. Steering on curves is excellent and it handles really well. It has plenty of pickup getting on the freeway. We live in Southern California and busy freeway driving is the norm. We do also agree that the seats are rock hard! Besides those two things we have grown to love the car. It’s such a perfect size for us and our dogs and the mileage is good for it’s size.

#39 ·
I'd have to agree with most of the comments here. The car was always a little bit challenging on the highway with its darty-ness, which is too bad because it was a very quiet comfortable cruiser. A little loud as soon as you hit the gas, but nothing terrible...

I only ever had the hands on the wheel warning come on twice in 28000 miles. Even with multiple alignments, and Winter or summer wheels, it never tracked well. I think variable assist/ratio steering would have helped. But the lower level trims that I received as loaners never had the darty-ness problem.

Never had any issues with the turning radius, thought it was pretty good for a vehicle this size.

My mileage was always very inconsistent. I could take the same trip 3 times in similar conditions and my mileage would vary from 23 to 33mpg.

#45 ·
If I'm remembering correctly, "Car and Driver" had and apparently still has significant preferences for the fake shifting and would even prefer it to be more pronounced. My opinion is to either do away with it or make it user selectable.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.