Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let's see. Oil changes every 6 mos or 6K mi. Under normal life conditions, that resulted in oil changes each 2K miles.
Now work from home,and it looks like on track for 400 mi oil change intervals as the new normal.

馃ぃ

Super Moderator
You鈥檙e going to end up with an antique Ascent with only 20k mi on it. Basically a collectors item 馃槀

Registered
I just filled up my 3rd tank of gas since March.

Of the 800 miles or so I've done, about 200 of that was towing! :p

Most of the time, we use the Tesla..... charged with solar, it's almost free to run!

Reactions: xydadx3

Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
Our Ascent was home delivered on 5/1/20. Had about 30 miles on it with about 20 of those the drive from the dealer to our house. Due to the quarantine, after 3 months, it has less than 250 miles on it. Those miles are weekly highway runs to keep it running and from flat spotting the tires.

The dealer has already started sending reminders to bring it in for its 6 month oil change. I think I need to get at least 1000 miles on it just to break in the engine before getting new oil.

I don't think there's such a thing as break-in oil these days but really hate the idea of not leaving the oil long enough for the break-in filings getting flushed.

Any thoughts on stretching the months until it gets to 1000?

Registered
Any thoughts on stretching the months until it gets to 1000?
It should not hurt to stretch the months but ask the dealer and get their opinion. You are running it on the highway to get the oil hot enough to boil off the bad stuff.

Probably not what you are looking for but why not take a road trip somewhere, you can even wear a mask if you like. See the beautiful American countryside while gas and lodging are cheap and places are not very crowded. We went to the Smokey Mountains and had a great time.

Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
It should not hurt to stretch the months but ask the dealer and get their opinion. You are running it on the highway to get the oil hot enough to boil off the bad stuff.

Probably not what you are looking for but why not take a road trip somewhere, you can even wear a mask if you like. See the beautiful American countryside while gas and lodging are cheap and places are not very crowded. We went to the Smokey Mountains and had a great time.
We'd love to. That's why we bought the Ascent. Unfortunately, my wife is highly immune compromised and travel and getting food from unknown sources is too risky. So it sits in the garage. We can't even visit family 2 states away.

Registered
Let's see. Oil changes every 6 mos or 6K mi. Under normal life conditions, that resulted in oil changes each 2K miles.
Now work from home,and it looks like on track for 400 mi oil change intervals as the new normal.

馃ぃ
I'll see. We bought it at the end of January 2019, 27000 miles so far. I still don't care for the CVT, but the only real complaint is that the original tires needed to be replaced at 25000. My wife likes it and wanted the car, so there's that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts